**Reminder** When you sign up for FreedomPop service we often offer a free trial experience for one of our plans or add-on services. Upon the end of your Trial, you will incur the regular charge for that plan or service. Please take a look at our Community post for more information regarding your recent purchase and what to expect: http://bit.ly/2xFTGWY

BYOD: What SIM card do I need for my BYOD handset?

Comments

• ResoluteDreamerResoluteDreamer Posts: 1FreedomPop Newbie
    I bought a LG Nexus 5 and I have the appropriate SIM card for it, but when I tried to activate online at http://www.freedompop.com/byod it doesn't work! Please help!
  • Eunhye KimEunhye Kim Posts: 26FreedomPop Newbie
    I have LG G4 (US991, US cellular version).
    Can I use this phone in Freedompop?
    If I can, please tell me how..
    Thank you so much..
  • JJFreedomJJFreedom Posts: 420FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Expert, FP Flyer, SD Flyers ✭✭✭
    edited July 2016 #79

I have LG G4 (US991, US cellular version).
    Can I use this phone in Freedompop?
    If I can, please tell me how..
    Thank you so much..

@Eunhye Kim - First, you will need to contact US Cellular and make sure that your phone is unlocked. It will not work with FreedomPop if it is not unlocked. Then, you will need to purchase the FreedomPop Global SIM.

Then all you have to do is insert the SIM into the phone and set up the necessary APN settings (Message me back if you cannot find it). The phone will connect at 4G HSPA/HSPA+ Speeds (not 4G LTE, but still 4G) and 3G as backup.

You can purchase the Global GSM SIM by clicking here.
    I usually respond within 24 hours. If you need help, feel free to ask.

Also, to tag me directly, write @JJFreedom. - this way I will know when you are talking to me.
  • amploadampload Posts: 6FreedomPop Newbie
    Its showing me a wrong phone number in status for my phone..This weird I did a factory reset going back to original.. then My phone number went away and now its not showing me the wrong phone number. But now its back showing me that wrong phone number again.what do I do now. your development team never calls back after 12 emails and phone calls.
  • JJFreedomJJFreedom Posts: 420FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Expert, FP Flyer, SD Flyers ✭✭✭
    @ampload - This number that you're seeing in the phone number settings is not the actual freedompop number. This is the phone number that your device uses to connect with towers and networks basically as a login to get your internet connection and a virtual account number.

Your actual FreedomPop number will displayed in the FreedomPop Messaging App. That number people will be able to reach you with,

Also, to tag me directly, write @JJFreedom. - this way I will know when you are talking to me.
  • jwsmommie72jwsmommie72 Posts: 2FreedomPop Newbie
    LG Stylo G uses a SIM card...SIMGLW236C
  • qyf_itqyf_it Posts: 8FreedomPop Newbie
    I have a unlocked LG G4 (US991), which is verified by inserting several different carrier's SIM, and a working FreedomPop Global SIM, which is verified by inserting into several different phones. However, I could NOT get FreedomPop working with this working F.P. global SIM card into this unlocked LG G4?

Tried all recommendation and no luck. Now I'm wondering if I have to get teh special SIM (SKU: SIMGLW236C) card from FreedomPop for LG G4? What's the difference between SIMGLW236C and the global sim?

@JJFreedom @Ali

@qyf_it - Please make sure you have the correct APN information in your settings. If you don't know the correct APN, please contact me back and I will send it to you.

The phone may be GSM unlocked, but it's most likely not CDMA unlocked so the SIMGL... won't necessarily work.

• AedenAeden Posts: 2FreedomPop Newbie
    @Ali I bought an unlocked gsm vivo 5 and I ordered a sim card from ebay, then I activated it here in the US. But my phone recognized the sim card as UK. The sim card didn't work until I downloaded the FP app from play store. I don't think that I am able to utilize what the sim card has to offer. I think that the sim card is useless since I had to get the app and login with to my account to make and receive calls. It worth mentioning that I was able to get a google voice number with my previous phone galaxy s3 I ordered over a year ago from FP but I was unable to to get a google voice number using the number provided when I activated my sim card. Google recognized the number associated with the sim card as VoIP like gooveip etc. My sim cad has only a bar code number non of what you proving above in your matix.

Any help or suggestion much appreciated.
  • timCooke17815timCooke17815 Posts: 1FreedomPop Newbie
    Help. Has anyone successfully bought a BYOP sim for FP in the U.S. in the last week? I have been trying but all I get is shifted to the UK site which of course does not recognize my zip code. Is FP still in business? I need to get a gsm sim so I can actually use a phone. How do I order one? No people on the phone. Tech doesn't respond to tickets, one a day for a week.
    edited September 2016 #87
    @timCooke17815 Try clearing your browser's cache, cookies, etc, and try using a link posted on this forum or Slickdeals to purchase your SIM card.

• JanomatronJanomatron Posts: 3FreedomPop Newbie
    edited September 2016 #88
    I failed to activate an iPhone 4s (Sprint) using the Global SIM Kit. The iPhone states "SIM not supported". Solved: The phone needed to be upgraded to the latest iOS, beforehand, didn't expect that to affect the SIM card recognition.
    Update: Apparently, by accident I registered my phone without SIM installed and runs CDMA/3G which is all my phone supports anyway.

I tried reaching FP at (888) 906-3184, Monday-Friday 9am-5pm PDT at 6:30 EDT and a message is telling me the office is now closed and I should be calling during normal business hours.
    Post edited by Janomatron on
    @Janomatron - It seems your device in not compatible as it looks like your Sprint phone is not GSM-Unlocked. You will need Sprint to unlock it before you can use with GSM services like FreedomPop's GSM SIM card. However, your device may be eligible for FreedomPop's CDMA service, which runs off of Sprint's Network.

edited September 2016 #90
    @JJFreedom - I believe I got a GSM card as part of the Global SIM Kit. What is better GSM or CDMA ? I read that FPs' free data is 200mb with GSM but 500mb with a CDMA. Wouldn't I want the CDMA SIM ?
    Also, when I realized I was making calls without SIM card installed (removed it when phone complained the it wasn't supported, then forgot to insert it during registration) I talked to knowledgeable person who explained the CDMA doesn't require the SIM but GSM does. So, I guess by accident I'm using CDMA (3G) which is all my old phone supports anyway.
    Post edited by Janomatron on
    @Janomatron - GSM is only compatible with certain devices, and CDMA is compatible with other certain devices. It all depends on which device you're using and what it's compatible with, not which plan is necessarily better.

If your device is an unlocked GSM device (from carriers like T-Mobile/ATT), you will have to use it with the GSM SIM to get FreedomPop service (200 MB).

Likewise, If your device is a qualified CDMA device (from Sprint), you will have to use it with the specific Sprint SIM to get FreedomPop service (500 MB).

CDMA phones do require SIM cards, just different from the GSM one. Please be specific as to what phone you're attempting to use with FreedomPop, and the carrier it was previously used on.

@JJFreedom - My phone is a iPhone 4s (Sprint locked) and I did activate it without the SIM card installed just by providing my MEID number of the phone during the registration. I am happy with the 500Mb free data, wouldn't want to trade for 200Mb.
    @Janomatron - you mentioned:

@JJFreedom - I believe I got a GSM card as part of the Global SIM Kit.

Which is not available for your phone so that's why the information a gave you said 200 MB. Your phone is CDMA and not GSM. Glad it works!

• brookstech7676brookstech7676 Posts: 1FreedomPop Newbie
    I have an ATT LG G4 currently on ATT and purchased the Global sim card to install in it. Im seeing conflicting information on using it on freedom pop. Any special steps or gotchas that need to be followed to use the global sim with the ATT G4? much appreciate your help
    JJFreedom said:

Please make sure you have the correct APN information in your settings. If you don't know the correct APN, please contact me back and I will send it to you.

I believe the APN should be: "freedompop.foggmobile.com", right?
    JJFreedom said:

The phone may be GSM unlocked, but it's most likely not CDMA unlocked so the SIMGL... won't necessarily work.

So I verified the phone is unlocked, at least GSM unlocked, by inserting other carrier's SIM. For CDMA, don't know any way to test. However, we only need the GSM unlocked to use FreedomPop's GSM partner's network, right?

@JJFreedom @Ali
    edited September 2016 #96
    @qyf_it - yes, that is correct.

• kewlguy201kewlguy201 Posts: 8FreedomPop Newbie
    can i use the global sim in a lg g stylo?????
  • Bob FerreroBob Ferrero Posts: 8FreedomPop Newbie
    is the samsung galaxy s5 g900t gsm unlocked (tmobile/att) compatible with freedompop? can the unlimited plans be used with it?

can i use the global sim in a lg g stylo?????

Hello @kewlguy201 - If you are using the T-Mobile G Stylo H631, you will need to get it unlocked by T-Mobile before use with FreedomPop. You will then be able to use the FreedomPop GSM Global SIM Card.

If you are using Boost Mobile G Stylo LS770 - You will not be able to use it with the FreedomPop GSM Global SIM Card. However, you will be able to use FreedomPop's CDMA nationwide service (running off Sprint), as long as your phone meets the requirements.

JJFreedom said:

@qyf_it - yes, that is correct.

So basically I still had the same issue as other owners of unlocked LG G4, ie @Eunhye Kim, the unlocked LG G4 couldn't get teh data service with the Global SIM offered by Freedompop.

Since this thread listed this particular SIM of SKU # SIMGLW236C for LG G4, if I buy this SIM, will FreedomPop be able to activate it on their GSM partner's network?

@JJFreedom
    @qyf_it - unfortunately not, using that specific sim is only for CDMA variants of the G4, and it's used to connect to CDMA networks, not GSM.
    The GSM service will only work is your phone is completely GSM-Unlocked, and using the GSM Global SIM.