**Reminder** When you sign up for FreedomPop service we often offer a free trial experience for one of our plans or add-on services. Upon the end of your Trial, you will incur the regular charge for that plan or service. Please take a look at our Community post for more information regarding your recent purchase and what to expect: http://bit.ly/2xFTGWY

6100D - slow red blinking light only

D6 1000D6 1000 Posts: 17FreedomPop Newbie
edited November 2015 in Netgear Gateway #1
Received it today plugged in and turned on as User Guide said. First had random blue and red lights flashing (not LEDs on Signal Quality bar as suppose to?) waited for them to stop and now have a slow red blinking light only. How should I proceed?
Thanks

I don't have another (12 volt 2.5 amp) power supply that I can test

*** Freedompop is it possible to get a replacement power supply? ***
Post edited by D6 1000 on

Best Answer

Answers

• D6 1000D6 1000 Posts: 17FreedomPop Newbie
    edited November 2015 #3
    Read the Manual and for the Power button LED=

Slow blinking red: Thermal cutoff alarm.

that does not sound good. . .I think I need some support @Jorge M @Karina Magana
    Please

• comintelcomintel Posts: 310FreedomPop Newbie ✭✭✭
    edited November 2015 #4
    @Notohp D6

It may just be running a ROM update. If so, let it complete. Can take a long time. Mine did that.

Otherwise, it's probably the power adapter.

Try the one from a Hub Burst if you had one, or other 12V. Look for one with a decent output amperage - it is actually supposed to be 2.5 amp according to the 6100D spec.

I and a friend both got bad power adapters with our 6100D's and the device would not operate with them. Got red lights etc. Replacing with the one from the Hub Burst has them working.

Most likely the device worked when they tested it with their adapter before shipping with a different adapter from the pile.

Beyond that, you can try a hard reset once only with a paper clip. I did that along the way. Or you could flash a ROM manually. Instructions are on the Netgear site.

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/19841/related/1

http://downloadcenter.netgear.com/#0 does have the firmware

Make sure the power is solid first though with a known good power adapter or you might damage the device if you flash with poor power.

You can also consider returning it instead.
    Post edited by comintel on
    edited November 2015 #5
    I am waiting for Freedompop's advice before I try anything other than their instructions. But, thanks for the response.
    @Jorge M @Karina Magana

I don't have another (12 volt 2.5 amp) power supply that I can test

Edit: Turns out I do have another (12 volt 2 amp) power supply borrowed for my external HD. That is all it took to get it up and running . . .still tweaking settings.

Going to need to get a replacement from Freedompop, because I still need it for the HD, but at least I know that (as so many others have found out) that was the problem.
    Thanks all

(ignore my post below (that has not shown up yet) it was pre-finding power supply replacement. I will remove it when I see it. )

• Ryan Radford 2Ryan Radford 2 Posts: 633FreedomPop Newbie ✭✭✭
    I would find the user guide from sprint and see what the light codes mean. Universal ac adapters are quite cheap
    Want a free lte sim? Message me and ill give you a credit card to purchase it!

Common issues related to FreedomPop Devices:
    https://forums.freedompop.com/discussion/10896/battery-issues-please-read-this#latest

If you are having trouble with the FreedomPop messaging app registering, always try uninstalling it and then reinstalling it. If that doesn't work download push notification fixer (no root) from the play store. make sure both intervals are set to 5 minutes and click apply.

I don't work for FreedomPop
  • comintelcomintel Posts: 310FreedomPop Newbie ✭✭✭
    edited November 2015 #7

I would find the user guide from sprint and see what the light codes mean. Universal ac adapters are quite cheap

There's nothing meaningful in the Guide re red lights. It refers to overheating as a cause, which I highly doubt applies here.

Some of the Netgear technical bulletins mention other causes for red lights including corrupted ROM.

But switching power adapters fixed a flashing red light problem in the 6100D for a friend of mine, and in view of the fact I have now had 3 people report failing power adapters, that seems the most likely cause.
    Post edited by comintel on
    edited November 2015 #8
    Edit: Deleted, see post above.
    As per @comintel it was simple as a good power supply!

Replaced power supply and it connected right away.
    Downloaded firmware update, seems to be working. . .

edited November 2015 #9
    comintel said:

Notohp D6 said:

Edit: Deleted, see post above.
    As per @comintel it was simple as a good power supply!

Replaced power supply and it connected right away.
    Downloaded firmware update, seems to be working. . .

Good to hear!

The 6100D needs 2.5 Amps (according to the label next the connector on the device itself). It appears some 2.0 Amp - rated power supplies are up to the challenge, but others are not.
    I think the problem is with the connector, the outer diameter seems small and the inter diameter seems large. This compared to the one that works.

• okayokay Posts: 35FreedomPop Newbie
    Mine came with a 2amp power supply and a blinking light. I found a stronger power supply and I get 3G data but no LTE (but that's a different story).
    Life's too short.