**Reminder** When you sign up for FreedomPop service we often offer a free trial experience for one of our plans or add-on services. Upon the end of your Trial, you will incur the regular charge for that plan or service. Please take a look at our Community post for more information regarding your recent purchase and what to expect: http://bit.ly/2xFTGWY

Kyocera Hydro Icon- Google Play & Kyocera (Fixed; OTA Update- 4/12/2016)

njfulwider5njfulwider5 Posts: 10,413FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Master, Test Role, FreedomPop Expert, FreedomFan, Android Master , FP Flyer ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 2016 in Kyocera Hydro Icon #1

Update 4/12/2016; LG has released the Firmware update that fixes the Google Issues. Make sure to Use the OTA update to fix this issue if you have yet to do so! Thanks for Reading my Post and I hope it helped!

New Fix for the Phone, this is what I've been giving other Members on the Support Site>
Please open or use your Twitter Account and follow @kyoceramobile. Send them a quick Message on Twitter, explaining that you want to be a part of the Hydro Icon Google Fix or Test Group. They should message you back in a Direct Message asking some information about the phone. Sometimes the next day to a few days later, you will get a firmware update pushed to your phone with the Fix. After the Firmware update, Update all the app in the Play Store, including any Google Apps you had issues with. Make sure you’re using Wi-Fi when you do this.

Kyocera is supposed to release this fix to all Hydro Icon phones; they just want to test it out using the Test Group. They have not released a date yet.

I got my first Kyocera hydro Icon last Friday, I turned it on and let it update. Kyocera pushed an update to the phone. It changed the Phone from Android 4.3.1 to Android 4.4.2. Then, Google Play Service decide to update, at the same time, during the firmware update. It went from 8.1.15 to 8.3.01. Thinking all was fine. I was very happy nothing Bricked my phone. I went to opened my Gmail. Crash---I opened my YouTube and Crash. I kept opening all service related to Google Play and it Crashed.(Google service has stopped).

I was not to happy. So I started doing research. It is a Compatibility issues between Google Play Service and Kyocera Firmware, we can't touch or fix, by simple means. Google and Kyocera are working to release a update. But right now, the only way I could find to fix it>>>>You have to gain Root access to change the folder around, that is causing the crash. I don't like rooting my phones, and I actually think it looks scary. I could only imagine a new android user. Right now I am currently working on a fix in my spare time. Something that in no way looks scary. Maybe Google and Kyocera will release the new update before I am done. This is one thing I found Freedompop can’t do anything about.

This is our options,

Easy Fix Found>>>

1) Make sure in, The Play Store App >>>"Settings">>General>>Auto-Update Apps, you change it to "Do Not Auto Up-Date" First!!!!"

Uninstall theses Google Apps,

Make sure to uninstall these in the Apps management>>not the play store>>>

Settings>>>Scroll down to Apps>>>Check under Downloads for all the app and downgrade here(not the play Store)

>>--(("Google Play Service"/Google Plus, Google Hangouts, Google Browse, Google Play Music and Google Play Movies &TV". Google Play Games, Google Play Books, Google Play Newsstand, Google Maps and Gmail))--<<YouTube app also!!!

Any thing you Find that has to do with the "GOOGLE PLAY SERVICE". Each app will revert back to the first version. Only problem, is the apps will look a little old-(2014). This will get all of us by till GOOGLE RELEASES A UPDATE. After all of the uninstalls, RESTART THE PHONE and enjoy!!!!

How to turn off auto-Updates in the play store>>>

Open the Play store>>click the Click the 3 horizontal bars left top of the app when the Play store is open>>>scroll down to settings>>>>Auto -Update apps(click and make sure it says-Do not Auto-Update Apps). Once this is complete, the only way the apps will update, is if it is pressed by accident. or you decide to do it

(It is Real Important to shut off auto Top-up and Notifications in the Play Store. It is also real important that you uninstall all updates in the Application management)

2) We can Return the Phone for a RMA, Freedompop Has a 30 DAY RMA POLICY, See Link>>>

http://support.freedompop.com/General/34247123/What-is-the-procedure-for-returning-equipment.htm

3) Wait for Google and Kyocera to come out with the Update to the Google Play Service to help. I heard that both these company are slow to release anything. Could be years, might be never???

4) We can Root the device and change the files-Maybe unroot after we are done? Up to the person rooting(might want that free hidden hotspot menu). See Link for instructions>>>

https://forums.freedompop.com/discussion/12549/85-off-kyocera-hydro-icon-lte-only-34-99#latest

Thank you Ryan Radford 2 for postings...(Rooting will Void Warranty, and is not supported by Freedompop)

My phone still works great, minus all those apps. I am also hoping I can come up with the fix myself. I am also hoping that the update comes out soon. Please let me know what you think? Post any questions below.

Robert Z wrote a Well Written Q & A for this device>>For all other issues you might have, please check out this Post!

Please post any questions, and don't forget to vote if you find the Tutorial helpful!!!

Great Tips and Trick, User Guides and How to's in my Signature-(Take a Peek)

Hope you find any post I have created helpful. Please look for my How to-s(Downgrading-100% Free) and (How to use the FreedomPop Community), or my Guides on FreedomPop Devices(Phones) and (Hotspots). Here is one on (FreedomPop Plans). Here is one on all (FreedomPop Apps). He is one on(Traveling with your GSM Global Sim?) or Common Question about the (GSM Global Sim). You can PM me anytime by clicking this link here njfulwider5. Than click the BUTTON with the (Small Envelope), to left of the word (MESSAGE). I will do my best help. Welcome to FreedomPop

Post edited by njfulwider5 on
Tagged:

Comments

• BuckeyeBuckeye Posts: 3FreedomPop Newbie
    Okay, first of all, I'm old. And my background is in art. I barely even know what rooting is! I read the instructions from Ryan Radford, and while I'm sure they probably work beautifully, the idea of doing that much stuff to my phone gives me the heebie jeebies. It's like asking an accountant to do surgery.

When I buy a product, I don't expect to need engineering or programming experience just to make it do what it's supposed to do right out of the box.

Thanks for the temporary Easy Fix, njfulwider5. I've been on Android for 6 years (Samsung GS3 & GS4) but I'm new to the Kyocera and FreedomPop; only had it a few weeks so my wife has a phone (her first cell). I couldn't figure out what the **** was wrong!
  • njfulwider5njfulwider5 Posts: 10,413FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Master, Test Role, FreedomPop Expert, FreedomFan, Android Master , FP Flyer ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Buckeye ,
    Root can be very scary if you don't know what your doing. I still get nervous when I here those word. I just wanted to leave that as a option, for the people that know how. The other options are fun us normal users.

Google and Kyocera dropped the ball on this one. By the time Freedompop found out about it, They had sold a ton of them. I am hoping Google fixes this app soon.

I am glad it worked out for you. Don't forget to turn of the auto updates in settings. In the Play Store App,

I don't like the UI, from 2014-But its allot better than a crash. Come on Kyocera and Google, I want my Gmail back(the newer version) and Google Maps(newer version)

Hope you find any post I have created helpful. Please look for my How to-s(Downgrading-100% Free) and (How to use the FreedomPop Community), or my Guides on FreedomPop Devices(Phones) and (Hotspots). Here is one on (FreedomPop Plans). Here is one on all (FreedomPop Apps). He is one on(Traveling with your GSM Global Sim?) or Common Question about the (GSM Global Sim). You can PM me anytime by clicking this link here njfulwider5. Than click the BUTTON with the (Small Envelope), to left of the word (MESSAGE). I will do my best help. Welcome to FreedomPop

• Ting LiTing Li Posts: 25FreedomPop Newbie
    Thanks.

There is one problem with Hangout. I followed your instructions to disable Play Store's auto update apps, and uninstall the updates of Play Services and Hangoutso that they are back to their factory versions. I uninstalled Hangout Dialer, and reinstalled it from Play Store. But Dialer requires Hangout to be updated to run, so I update Hangout. But Hangout requires Play Services to upgrade to run, but we can't upgrade Play Services as you mentioned.

How should I do to make Hangout and Dialer to run?
  • Ryan Radford 2Ryan Radford 2 Posts: 633FreedomPop Newbie ✭✭✭
    @Ting Li unfortunately, there isn't an easy way to get Hangouts to function properly until Kyocera fixes the issue, and yes this is completely Kyocera's fault. Make no mistake about it.

The issue lies in the fact that a library file is missing from the device that is required to make the latest versions of those apps to work.

Also @Buckeye You are correct in assuming that the fix instructions we have come up with work beautifully. However since you are scared of root (and rightfully so) your only recourse is to downgrade the affected apps. So while I have told Kyocera (in October) what the problem is and how to fix it, I wouldn't expect a fix anytime soon. Sorry we couldn't find an easier way. Trust me we want to.
    Want a free lte sim? Message me and ill give you a credit card to purchase it!

Common issues related to FreedomPop Devices:
    https://forums.freedompop.com/discussion/10896/battery-issues-please-read-this#latest

If you are having trouble with the FreedomPop messaging app registering, always try uninstalling it and then reinstalling it. If that doesn't work download push notification fixer (no root) from the play store. make sure both intervals are set to 5 minutes and click apply.

I don't work for FreedomPop
  • njfulwider5njfulwider5 Posts: 10,413FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Master, Test Role, FreedomPop Expert, FreedomFan, Android Master , FP Flyer ✭✭✭✭✭
    Please make sure that you uninstall the update in the apps, in settings(not The Play Store). If you accidently update any Google app. You will reinstall the Play Services to. You will get notices that the updates need to be updated. You will also need to make sure those are updates you do not press, when looking to update manually Any apps that needs to updated, beside all those above just do over the other those shown above. Google also release a few update to Gmail and a few other this past week. Meaning you would get a notice in your notification. Make sure you swipe those notices, instead of accepting.

So far, each person I have ran into has accidently updated one of the google apps. Once they went back to Settings>>>Apps and uninstalled Play Service again, and than uninstalled any of the google app. The phone went back to normal.

It is Possible on some of the Phones, and I think it maybe the way that the android 4.4.2 was updated. You might need to gain administrative access to uninstall the Google Play Service. I really have no idea how this happens. But it has happened.

I am going to ask somebody to give me those directions to post above.

Thanks,
    Joe F

• Jennifer CookJennifer Cook Posts: 4FreedomPop Newbie
    After bricking two phones in the past, the thought of trying anything even close again was too much. I emailed Kyocera and complained about Google apps crashing/not working and asked when they would be a fix for the library file move.

There was emails back and forth asking for various bits of info between myself and a customer service person. Last email, she asked for my hex key and said there would be an update going to my particular phone to fix after she got it. That was Dec 17th. Didn't read the email until last night.

BUT... Sun Dec 20th, I woke up and my phone was installing an android software update. NOW ALL MY GOOGLE APPS WORK INCLUDING ANDROID PAY!!!!

In settings, under about phone, the customer service gal said to look for version 2.050BT. That is what it says and phone is working beautifully!
    @Jennifer Cook

Kyocera is actually taking action. They sent you the same update that they've been giving all the of the Beta testers. They are suppose to release this update soon for everybody. I can't wait. Maybe I will drop them a quick line and see if its possible to get mine early?

Thanks for the info!

• Russell IwasaRussell Iwasa Posts: 46FreedomPop Newbie
    I don't really use the gmail app on the Kyocera but that app, as fully updated, no longer works as of January 21, 2016. The only way to get it to work is to uninstall it and go back to the stock app which works. It has also happened that google play services also was crashing like the gmail app, so I uninstalled it but that blocks updates to other apps.

I have allowed google play services to update which updates everything and gmail app continues to 'stop working'. When I tried to send a report, I kept hitting the "go to main screen" button when trying to hit the space bar and there was no apparent way to get back to the report function. Also, the SEND button was almost invisible though I finally found it in the upper right corner after some frustration.

So far the gmail app is not the main email app I use so it not working is currently no big thing, but is troublesome.
    edited January 2016 #10

I don't really use the gmail app on the Kyocera but that app, as fully updated, no longer works as of January 21, 2016. The only way to get it to work is to uninstall it and go back to the stock app which works. It has also happened that google play services also was crashing like the gmail app, so I uninstalled it but that blocks updates to other apps.

I have allowed google play services to update which updates everything and gmail app continues to 'stop working'. When I tried to send a report, I kept hitting the "go to main screen" button when trying to hit the space bar and there was no apparent way to get back to the report function. Also, the SEND button was almost invisible though I finally found it in the upper right corner after some frustration.

So far the gmail app is not the main email app I use so it not working is currently no big thing, but is troublesome.

You need to contact Follow Kyocera on Twitter, then tweet them asking to be in the test group, they'll follow you back and dm you asking for some information and about a day later they'll push the update with their fix. Otherwise you'll either need to downgrade the affected apps or use the root method to copy the file to where it needs to be.

Also Google play services will update no matter what you do. There really isn't anything you can do about that.

https://forums.freedompop.com/discussion/10896/battery-issues-please-read-this#latest

If you are having trouble with the FreedomPop messaging app registering, always try uninstalling it and then reinstalling it. If that doesn't work download push notification fixer (no root) from the play store. make sure both intervals are set to 5 minutes and click apply.

• FruGuruFruGuru Posts: 19FreedomPop Newbie
    I'm having to Uninstall and Re-Install 'Google Play Services' from my Hydro Icon whenever the 'Gmail', Map, YouTube and other Google Apps stop working.
    FruGuru said:

I'm having to Uninstall and Re-Install 'Google Play Services' from my Hydro Icon whenever the 'Gmail', Map, YouTube and other Google Apps stop working.

Please read the comment directly above yours. @FruGuru and below yours @Russell Iwasa

• FruGuruFruGuru Posts: 19FreedomPop Newbie
    My problem with my Hydro Icon is OVER. I got a firmware update 2.050BT pushed by Kyocera through Twitter. All is well now.
    Hello Followers, looking for the fix. Instructions above. Looks like more and more members are using this fix with Success.

If your having any issue with the Hydro Icon, I just found this post by Robert Z.

https://forums.freedompop.com/discussion/comment/66791/#Comment_66791

Well written and very useful!!

• weanutweanut Posts: 309FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Expert ✭✭✭
    well, after all these years of 'i refuse to tweet!' i am now on twitter. i finally got my hydro icon back, never had any big problem before. just had to do a factory reset, since freedompop messaging wasn't working. now, freedompop messaging isn't there, & i can't get on google play to download it. so, i TWEETED kyocera and i sure hope they TWEET back at me. then i can delete the account & never tweet again!
    i hate everything!!!
    well, except that i should actually be able to fix this.
  • oraydiooraydio Posts: 13FreedomPop Newbie
    I just got my update after contacting Kyocera on Twitter the first week of February. So far has been working great. I can actually get Gmail and Maps open for the first time.
  • weanutweanut Posts: 309FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Expert ✭✭✭
    i actually also chatted with kyocera customer service who said it could be 2 full weeks or more. gave them all my info, will see what happens. it seems like i should expect 2 weeks though, oh well, what can you do?
    @weanut
    Check out my other suggestions. I have another one that will get you by till the update. Just DM me if you have any issues

• Madmike413Madmike413 Posts: 38FreedomPop Newbie
    I Facebook messaged them on the 12th today is the 18th and I just checked and update was there. Everything works 100% now no more work a rounds Google voice and play music and play store don't crash any more!
  • rocketxrocketx Posts: 3FreedomPop Newbie
    I emailed Kyocera Support and they were helpful. It took a little over 2 weeks for them to push the Update to my ICON phone. They updated me to Software version 2.050BT 2 days ago and now it works great. I did not have to join Twitter or Facebook.

I am very happy with this phone.
  • thegadgetthegadget Posts: 6FreedomPop Newbie
    I just finished sending them a Fb message, looking forward to using googles apps. :)
  • cgullcgull Posts: 1FreedomPop Newbie
    Yesterday my phone started showing an alert from the Kyocera upgrade tool for a new firmware package. I haven't requested an upgrade from Kyocera, at least not that I can remember. Have they finally released the Google Play fix?
    @cgull are you on 4.4.2 or 4.3?

• Brian BartonBrian Barton Posts: 180FreedomPop Newbie
    My hydro icon is now no longer a paper weight after the latest software update. Thank you finally have a working phone again. Now I just need my replacement actually replaced.
  • bowmanisherebowmanishere Posts: 14FreedomPop Newbie
    How long did it take you guys to get the update?I got a email asking for my hex 5 days ago but still no update.