How to text using Hangouts on Galaxy S4

Micah ShawleyMicah Shawley Posts: 5FreedomPop Newbie
Hi, I've had my FP phone for just about a month now, and I love it. I'm not too fond of the Messaging app theme, and would much rather use Google Hangouts if I could.
I've tried to send a text with it, and I'll get a message from 9230. It says "You are not allowed to send text messages." From what I've read, that message comes from Sprint. I have it set as the default messaging app, and merged conversations are enabled. The SMS messaging account is my Gmail account. I don't need to make a call through Google Voice, only send texts through Hangouts. Thanks

Best Answer

Answers

• Ryan Radford 2Ryan Radford 2 Posts: 633FreedomPop Newbie ✭✭✭
    Hangouts can only send and receive texts, and calls through the number assigned to the device by sprint(you already are aware that is just a data number) or through a Google Voice number. There really isn't anyway to do what you are wanting with the FreedomPop number and hangouts, however this is to the best of my knowledge.

You'll need to port out to ring.to and then to Google Voice if you want this to work. The fee to port to Google Voice is $20. The account number for the FreedomPop number is the 10 digit phone number and the pin is the last 4 digits of the FreedomPop phone number. Or you can just have Google Voice assign you a new phone number if you don't want to deal with all the hoops of porting out.

Want a free lte sim? Message me and ill give you a credit card to purchase it!

Common issues related to FreedomPop Devices:
    https://forums.freedompop.com/discussion/10896/battery-issues-please-read-this#latest

If you are having trouble with the FreedomPop messaging app registering, always try uninstalling it and then reinstalling it. If that doesn't work download push notification fixer (no root) from the play store. make sure both intervals are set to 5 minutes and click apply.

I don't work for FreedomPop
  • Ryan Radford 2Ryan Radford 2 Posts: 633FreedomPop Newbie ✭✭✭
    Like I said this was to the best of knowledge, I apologize for the incorrect information.
    Want a free lte sim? Message me and ill give you a credit card to purchase it!

Common issues related to FreedomPop Devices:
    https://forums.freedompop.com/discussion/10896/battery-issues-please-read-this#latest

If you are having trouble with the FreedomPop messaging app registering, always try uninstalling it and then reinstalling it. If that doesn't work download push notification fixer (no root) from the play store. make sure both intervals are set to 5 minutes and click apply.

I don't work for FreedomPop
  • Richard AllenRichard Allen Posts: 644FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Expert, Porting Master ✭✭✭✭
    @Ryan Radford 2 No Problem Ryan. I have been dealing with porting to Google voice and Cricket wireless for a while now and assisted several people with the porting. (neither of there two accept land line ports.) The pin change was recent. I was trying to port out a number and it kept failing. So I used the pin from the accounts settings and was able to complete the port. FP does not always let people know when they change the rules/procedures.
  • Ron LTE VOICE SIMRon LTE VOICE SIM Posts: 263FreedomPop Newbie, FP Flyer ✭✭✭
    I pulled off a 'reverse port' for a number that wouldn't work to anyone else (was on PTel Mobile, and FP wouldn't allow it nor would Google) but I pulled a sideways one to get it done...

I pulled my number from PTel to Ring Plus (no issue at all - $7.99) and then on to Google Voice (which strangely enough had no problems after I ported to RP - $20.00) That left me $30 down but moved my primary number to Google so now I can use it whenever/where ever I want.

I still am a bit miffed that I can't use the 'unlimited' features that came with my deal since I can't port my number into FP, but with the rollover data and Freedom Friends, I won't run out of data.