Google Voice text forwarding with FP

Brent SpearBrent Spear Posts: 1FreedomPop Newbie
I received my EVO 4G phone in January. I set up & received texts & phone calls via my Google Voice forwarding. 3 weeks into the new phone, the texts ceased to be received on the phone via FP messaging by way of GV text forwarding yet they still arrived & could be responded to over at GV or when I checked my email since I had GV text fwd to email activated as well. I tried a full reset of the phone a few times, PRL update, ... all that stuff was done with the help of FP customer support & nothing fixed the FP-GV text connection so I ended up installing the Google Voice app & I've been fine with getting texts that way (sucks that there is no notification chime though). Calls continued to arrrive properly from GV.

Today things got all better, but I want to know why because when I spoke to FP customer support, they said it was a problem over at GV but everything has always worked as expected over there.

Here's today's update:
I live in Vegas. Last night I caught a plane to Pittsburgh & before my flight I was texting my dogsitter via GV app & texts were acting as they had for the past 2 months - arriving on Google Voice app only. I power off my phone for the flight as the battery was very low. I land in Pittsburgh & a few hours later I charge & power up then text a co-worker about some stuff via the GV app. His text response arrives via the GV app AND as a regular text on the FP EVO 4G (forwarded from GV). HOORAY! Just to make it clear; I sent my original text to my co-worker via the google voice app, so I have done nothing new but the texts are working as they should once again! I responded via the EVO/FP text & asked what number comes up on his phone - he says it is my google voice number, not my FP number. Awesome! This is working as expected and as it should. I don't know what happened. Did something at FP change today? I literally did nothing new with the phone or on GV. The only thing I did was change location and turn the phone off for about 14 hours.

I am very happy that things are back to normal, but I am afraid this interaction may fail again. Does this explanation make sense as to what happened & does this help explain what went wrong, or what went right to make everything work again. I would obviously like to keep things working as currently set up & I wanted to check in here because when GV-FP texting went down for me, I was directed to look at GV for the problem, but now I am quite confident it is not a GV issue.

(I didn't use FP texting while GV-FP was down because I didn't want people to have another new number to contact me)

Comments

• M.A. II LopezM.A. II Lopez Posts: 1,163FreedomPop Master, FreedomPop Expert ✭✭✭
    @Brent Spear‌ glad to hear that at least its working, you might want to check with @Adolfo Galvan@WD80‌ or other FP Pros that regularly use google GV with their phones, they may have answers for you.
  • Brent SpearBrent Spear Posts: 1FreedomPop Newbie
    So my trip took me to Jersey this weekend and when I arrived yesterday, I received an auth text from Google and text from 2 friends in the manner I expected, vie the phone text. This morning, I received 2 texts and neither arrived vie the phone text and only arrived vie Google Voice. arrgh
    So frustrating trying to figure this out. This morning; texts only arrive via GV app and this afternoon one text arrives via GV app and FP phone. 4G has been off all day, haven't left the house I'm spending my vacation at, so I'm on the same Wi-Fi connection I was on this morning. Tomorrow I head back home and who knows what will or won't work once I get back.
  • Adolfo GalvanAdolfo Galvan Posts: 720FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Master, Test Role, FreedomPop Expert, FP Flyer ✭✭✭✭
    I have mine where I am only using the GV app and not using Messenger for texts at all. I will test it out today and see if I am having the same issue you are. BTW did you go into the GV app its settings under "Sync and notifications" and make sure that Text and Voicemail notification is on? This I am having no issues with.
  • Adolfo GalvanAdolfo Galvan Posts: 720FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Master, Test Role, FreedomPop Expert, FP Flyer ✭✭✭✭
    Also, I didn't think about this until afterward, but in those settings, change the Ringtone off the default. You don't want those notifications affected by a system ringtone change!
    Thanks for checking in. Yes, both Voicemail notifications and text notifications are checked (including status light and vibrate being checked). I did not try just having texts arrive via GV app as I've not been notifications audio/visual notifications when they arrive that way, but I should change to via GV app and see if the phone hear some notification when one arrives. I have the GV app on my main page, so I will get the texts, but I would like some notification when one arrives, which is why I've been trying to use the GV fwd to phone option.
    I just switched the ringtone with your recommendation, so hopefully something I did will turn on notifications.
    As you don't use the phone messaging, do you get notifications when a GV message arrives? I would expect you should, but I have not and maybe because I had messages to arrive via messaging app, which wasn't working. Thanks for the ideas
    Much better now. I will turn off the 'fwd to cell number' now that notifications occur when GV gets a message. I'm not receiving group text messages, but I am much happier that GV will notify me when texts arrive.
    Yes I get notifications via the GV app.

I did activate forwarding texts yesterday, and my notifications did show up. I am glad that GV is working for you.
  • Lee WilliamsLee Williams Posts: 4FreedomPop Newbie
    I read something today about any ATT signal affecting GV. It was in the google voice forums. Apparently the culprit is a radio signal that when received by dialer in GV, invokes sleep mode switching "on" in devices that do not even use ATT plans.
    I have a few months left on a VZ contract, and am looking for the best way to supplement FP calling when GV is retired in may. One suggestion was vodaphone (New York #) google number in my home state. Then port the GV # to the vodaphone dialer app.

This is apparently a big to do with FCC and their injunctions on antitrust marketing scheme to block dialers using firmware code that is actually broadcasted to disable your phone apps. I don't fully understand the technology, but I worked in government regulatory compliance investigations in another industry and it can take a long time for tracability

So will GV work with FP and for how long?
    And I'm still waiting for Overdrive to ship....help?

Congrats on solving the puzzle Adolpho! Good info
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 31
    @Lee - Many people have had success using Google Voice with FreedomPop. In regards to your Overdrive order, the devices are slightly backordered but your order will be shipping soon. You will receive an email with tracking when your device does ship out.

I read something today about any ATT signal affecting GV. It was in the google voice forums. Apparently the culprit is a radio signal that when received by dialer in GV, invokes sleep mode switching "on" in devices that do not even use ATT plans.

Odd, by primary voice phone is AIO at the moment (Owned by AT&T) and I have not had any issues with Google Voice. I think it is really cool that my FreedomPop phone rings first by a half or full second.

I love using Google voice as my primary number because I have control on what phone it rings and I don't have to pay to keep my number somewhere (although if they ever did charge, I probably would pay). Google Voice just forwards the number to any phone you choose, so you should be able to use the FreedomPop number as a forwarder as long as the phone is active. GV is not going anywhere anytime soon.
This discussion has been closed.