Debating on getting your kid their first phone for Christmas? This $50 phone comes with a free plan

Hey guys,

The pennyhoarder.com just did a great new article about us highlight great reasons why FreedomPop makes the perfect "Kid's first phone". Cell phones are expensive, and let's face it, not all kids are very responsible. They lose, break, drop, or just get tired of things pretty quickly.

Here's a little bit from the article or just read it all here:

Right now, FreedomPop is offering a special deal just for Penny Hoarder readers: 75% off a Motorola Moto E LTE phone, along with a free service plan.

Is This a Good Starter Phone for Kids?

Though it’s obviously up to you to decide when your child is ready for a cell phone, we thought this deal might appeal to parents for a few reasons:

1. This Phone is Cheap to Replace

The Moto E costs just $49.99 to buy or replace, far less than other smartphones. Though FreedomPop does offer an insurance policy for $6 a month, it’s probably not worth it — unless you think your child is going to lose or break the phone within a year.

2. You Won’t Pay Overage Charges

For parents, this may be the most attractive option of the FreedomPop plan. Once your child reaches their monthly limit of calls and texts, their ability to make more is shut off until the next monthly cycle begins.

As for data, you can set it to shut off once your child is within 100MB of their limit. That way, there won’t be any surprises when your monthly statement arrives!

3. The Phone Doesn’t Look Totally Dorky

As you can see in the photos above, this phone is pretty sleek. It’s not some ancient flip phone your child will be embarrassed to use.

4. The Phone Will Arrive by Christmas

If you order by Monday, December 14, your child’s new phone will arrive in time to wrap and put under the tree!

Read more at The Pennyhoarder.com

Comments

• Ali Ali Posts: 6,735FreedomPop Master, Test Role, iOS Master ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Samantha OMGG!! YAY!! You're back!! *celebrates*

Honestly I definitely think FreedomPop is a great first phone for kids. I bought my two younger brothers each an LG phone for their birthday and they have been using it since, and it definitely taught them a lot of responsibility. It's a win-win, my parents don't have to worry about paying for their cell service and since the devices are at a low cost if they get damaged or if my brothers want to upgrade it's not going to break the bank!
  • thanks for the warm welcome!
  • Sonnyg9Sonnyg9 Posts: 3FreedomPop Newbie
    @Samantha I'm new to freedompop and the data overage chargers are very concerning to me. Under item #2 you mention that the data can be shutoff when someone is within 100MB of their limit. How do I set the data to turn off on an iphone 5?
    edited December 2015 #5
    Also, what other kid friendly features does Freedompop offer?
    Post edited by Sonnyg9 on
  • Ali Ali Posts: 6,735FreedomPop Master, Test Role, iOS Master ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Sonnyg9 You can do so by going to Billing > Billing Settings > Auto Top Up > Disable. As for other kid features, the phone itself runs Android OS so whatever Android runs that's kid friendly you'll be able to take advantage of!
  • Jorge Jorge Posts: 3,380 admin
    @Sonnyg9 I can confirm that what Ali has stated is accurate, once disabling top ups then your service will be stopped when reaching within 100mb of your 500mb :)
    Thanks @Ali and amd @Jorge M.. I've disabled top ups, but honestly having problems even using mobile data right now. Tech support working the issue, but with little success so far.
This discussion has been closed.