Wi-Fi on LG G2 occasionally slow

Andrew VieiraAndrew Vieira Posts: 21FreedomPop Newbie
I purchased my LG G2 from FreedomPop about a month ago. I connect to the internet on it using my home's Wi-Fi router. Generally, the connection is fast, but occasionally, it will suddenly become painfully slow. I've accessed the internet on other devices when this happens, including my previous cell phone, and the connection is fast on them. Therefore, the problem is with my LG G2 and not my router. Can anyone provide any suggestions?

Andrew

Comments

• Rich Sias (16th)Rich Sias (16th) Posts: 3,352FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Master, FreedomPop Expert ✭✭✭✭✭
    How are you connecting to WiFi ? n-channel (100+ mb/s), a/b-channel (54mb/s), or original (11mb/s)

It might be that all three are set and sometimes uses the slowest one.
    Be my Valentine ZTE, Victory, LG Volt, 803S, & 4 SIMs
  • Andrew VieiraAndrew Vieira Posts: 21FreedomPop Newbie

How are you connecting to WiFi ? n-channel (100+ mb/s), a/b-channel (54mb/s), or original (11mb/s)

It might be that all three are set and sometimes uses the slowest one.

How can I determine which channel I'm using?
  • Rich Sias (16th)Rich Sias (16th) Posts: 3,352FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Master, FreedomPop Expert ✭✭✭✭✭
    By the WiFI connetion.
    Your WiFi at home may have up to three radios sending out WiFi signals. Each has a name you gave it in setup.

For example WiFi names Ralph might use
    Ralph's WiFi (A/B)
    RalphShuldaHidHisWiFi&Kids(G)
    SuperRalph(n)
    My WiFi router says 802.11n on it, but the network settings on my desktop computer say 802.11g. However, I'm pretty certain my devices detect only one WiFi signal with the name of my router. An app on My phone called Wifi Analyzer seems to confirm the router uses one signal, on channel 6. I do detect other WiFi signals from nearby houses, so it's possible my phone is occasionally trying unsuccessfully to access those networks. However, I don't think that's what's happening.
    Two thoughts left to examine/try....
    1. If a neighbour has NO security and your phone on occasion logs into it, a slow connection might happen. It can't do that if there is padlock showing on your phone's wifi browse page for each neighbour. Unless you got and entered their password.
    2. Your WiFi device is N. You likely have 3 radios possible. Connect up to your wifi device and check into the settings there. The basic & N radios may be disabled. Verify. If basic is NOT disabled, may be possible cause. Basic 'should' be usable and not annoyingly slow. Maybe something wrong with your setup. Note the names used for basic & G. Check your phone's connection for which name is used. When phone is VERY slow, check phone's wifi connection again. What name are you connected to?

Hopefully this is enough info to investigate and bump into the AH HA moment.
  • ShredFredShredFred Posts: 30FreedomPop Newbie
    the problem could be in the configuration of your router. I believe the LG G2 has an AC wifi adapter and is capable of high speed and pretty good range overall. my reported connection speed is about 200mbps. granted, the further away you are from the router, the more likely it will connect at G protocol since N and AC are only good at short distances.

what you could do if you haven't is set up the wifi SSID for each adapter on the router as a unique name so you can figure out which one it;s getting connected to. so for the G call it networkLowSpeed and for N/AC call it networkHighSpeed

also in wifi analyzer on the phone, it has the ability to see the networks in the different bands and range.
    It turns out that my router transmits two signals. The "main" signal, called HOME-C6F2, has WPA2 security and requires a password to use. All of my devices, including my G2, use this connection. However, I just found out that the router also transmits an unsecured signal, called xfinitywifi. (My internet is provided by Comcast.) I noticed this connection option on my WiFi settings, but assumed it had something to do with an XFINITY WiFi app, which connects my phone to XFINITY-provided hotspots. In fact, the xfinitywifi connection allows anyone to connect to my router without the need for a password.

When my phone became slow, I switched from HOME-C6F2 to xfinitywifi, and my phone became fast again! Most likely, this is due to the lack of encryption. (Please confirm whether I'm right on this.) I am concerned about using an open network, though. Does "unsecured" mean that the network is more susceptible to hackers? Is there some way (preferably on my phone, because this problem doesn't seem to happen on other devices) to speed up the secured network?

Right now, I'm only using the open network when the secure one slows my phone down. However, I would appreciate any advice.
    edited January 2016 #9
    I have Comcast too. The xfinity wifi connection still requires a comcast login to be performed before any real usage is allowed. So, basically only Comcast customers can gain access at that point.
    Any nefarious data activity and Comcast KNOWS who is doing it. So its not 'really' unsecured because Comcast still requires a login once they attempt to connect up. xfinity wifi does not use the WPA2 or other security. Comcast uses their own customer records to track who is doing what.
    A good hacker who knows what he / she is doing might capture enough packets that he/she might be able to hear a few words or maybe a whole sentence. So, avoiding using xfinity wifi for your VoIP phones just might be a pretty good idea.

I am concerned that you have some other computer running and using the internet so strongly that there is no room for a 0.1 MB/s stream to add a phone call. Check for activity on ALL of your computing devices. SmartPhones too.
    Post edited by Rich Sias (16th) on

I am concerned that you have some other computer running and using the internet so strongly that there is no room for a 0.1 MB/s stream to add a phone call. Check for activity on ALL of your computing devices. SmartPhones too.

I had a feeling that, whenever any of my devices was slow, it was because either too many devices were accessing the internet at once or one device was using too much bandwidth. Would you please recommend a program or app that can monitor my network usage?
  • Marc JosephMarc Joseph Posts: 172FreedomPop Newbie

However, I just found out that the router also transmits an unsecured signal, called xfinitywifi. (My internet is provided by Comcast.)

I am shocked by this, and find it hard to believe- UNLESS, you are using a Comcast supplied router. I have xfinitywifi available at my house also, but I live in Phlly, where Comcast is headquartered and they own this town. Anyhow, I tried turning off my router to see if the xfinitywifi here went away as an available network, and it didn't, so my router isn't broadcasting their signal. Try turning off your router to see if the xfintywifi goes away to make sure you're the one broadcasting their signal. If it does go away when your router is off, and you're using a Comcast supplied router, I'd get another router.

I guess I should have mentioned that my cable modem/router (they're in the same unit) was provided by Comcast. The xfinitywifi network is from my router and not a Comcast-provided hotspot available to XFINITY customers. Another indication of this is that, according to my WiFi Analyzer app, the network of one of my neighbors overlaps a signal that also has the name "xfinitywifi". This person probably also has a router from Comcast.
    Also I understand there is a setting accessible by comcast customer to disable the xfinitywifi service to public, if desired. I'm not sure where to find it as I do not have a router provided by Comcast for my service.
    Other things I've heard is that the public wifi does NOT reduce the bandwidth of your home service. You could have the big honking 50 MBs and the xfinitywifi runs max maybe 6 Mbs ? without interference. Only of the whole 'neighborhood' is maxed then maybe some difference.