**Reminder** When you sign up for FreedomPop service we often offer a free trial experience for one of our plans or add-on services. Upon the end of your Trial, you will incur the regular charge for that plan or service. Please take a look at our Community post for more information regarding your recent purchase and what to expect: http://bit.ly/2xFTGWY

Porting number from Google Voice

jbuijbui FreedomPop Newbie Posts: 3
I called technical support and they said they were unable to port my number from google voice because they didn't support porting from them. I followed the instructions as stated on "Porting Account/PIN?" thread to port from Google Voice. I also tried to port it myself on my account and it states "user is not able to transfer number." Can somebody please help me with this? All I want is to transfer my existing number.

Comments

• Gregory VernonGregory Vernon FreedomPop Newbie Posts: 141 ✭✭
    Just as a suggestion, you can use Hangouts + Hangouts dialer make phone calls with your google voice number.
  • jbuijbui FreedomPop Newbie Posts: 3
    I actually am using google voice and hangouts currently just until my phone number can be ported over to freedompop.
    Google Voice charges a fee to have numbers ported out of their system. Unless you have paid that fee, you will not be able to port out your number. See: https://support.google.com/voice/answer/1316844?hl=en

Just as a heads up, both FreedomPop and Google Voice/Hangouts are VoIP services. I haven't noticed any significant quality differences between the two. (Biggie: both fail if you lose your data connection or your connection type changes) Honestly, if I were you, I would keep using Google Voice/Hangouts just to keep things *a little* bit simpler.
  • djinksdjinks FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Expert Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2016 #5
    @jbui
    I would recommend continuing to use Hangouts with the Hangouts Dialer. Don't port.
    What benefit will you gain by porting?
  • Richard AllenRichard Allen FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Expert, Porting Master Posts: 644 ✭✭✭✭
    @jbui Does the phone you are trying to port the GV number to have a FP number assigned to it? The error message you are describing is the error people see when they try to port a number to a FP phone that does not currently have a number assigned to it.

FYI I agree with djinks and Gregory. There are a lot of advantages to leaving your number with GV and using hangouts dialer to make and receive calls/texts.
  • jbuijbui FreedomPop Newbie Posts: 3

Just as a heads up, both FreedomPop and Google Voice/Hangouts are VoIP services.

I had no clue FP was a VoIP service. I signed up for their unlimited text, calling, and 1 gb of data plan.
    djinks said:

@jbui
    I would recommend continuing to use Hangouts with the Hangouts Dialer. Don't port.
    What benefit will you gain by porting?

I need to use my phone just like a traditional cell phone carrier, not over wifi.

@jbui Does the phone you are trying to port the GV number to have a FP number assigned to it? The error message you are describing is the error people see when they try to port a number to a FP phone that does not currently have a number assigned to it.

FYI I agree with djinks and Gregory. There are a lot of advantages to leaving your number with GV and using hangouts dialer to make and receive calls/texts.

That solved it, but it still says it doesn't support porting from google voice, damn.

Thanks for the help guys. Since they can't port numbers from google voice, is there any other way to port my number to freedompop, I really don't want to change my number.
  • djinksdjinks FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Expert Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2016 #8
    @jbui
    Just have Google forward all calls to your FP number.
    jbui said:

I need to use my phone just like a traditional cell phone carrier, not over wifi.

You do know that Hangouts works over your mobile data as well as wifi, right?
    VOIP is not limited to wifi.
    @jbui I would take it one step further than @djinks and setup hangouts to answer phone calls directly on your phone. It will *seem* like a normal carrier except I'm not sure how 911 works with Google Voice... or FreedomPop to be honest.

In any event, I think you should just enjoy hangouts as it is. It is worth noting that FreedomPop does offer a somewhat traditional cell experience with the "Premium Voice" service, but it is only triggered when you attempt to place a call with a bad data connection.