**Reminder** When you sign up for FreedomPop service we often offer a free trial experience for one of our plans or add-on services. Upon the end of your Trial, you will incur the regular charge for that plan or service. Please take a look at our Community post for more information regarding your recent purchase and what to expect: http://bit.ly/2xFTGWY

Samsung Galaxy S2 no longer supported?

Paul CooperPaul Cooper Posts: 9FreedomPop Newbie
After spending a couple hours on the phone with Freedompop, mostly with tech support walking me through all the steps I had already done as listed in the FAQ and then doing some stuff on the back end and asking me to reboot and stuff, he informs me Freedompop no longer supports my SII. Since the SII is still on the supported list I wonder if he meant that Freedompop no longer supports *MY* SII?? I brushed the dust off my old *glove box* Galaxy S and was surprised it still works great on the Freedompop network but I find the phone irritating which is why I upgraded in the first place.

Has anyone else had trouble with the SII? Basically, data works fine but the phone just gets frozen on "calling" and does not detect incoming calls at all. Upgrading again is not an option I can afford to consider and the VOIP apps I have tried work well on WIFI but not on data so I assume VOIP is blocked on the network.

Thanks for any input!
Paul
This is really me! (me -> )

Comments

• djinksdjinks Posts: 1,270FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Expert ✭✭✭✭
    @Paul Cooper
    VOIP is not blocked on the network. Did you update the FP Messaging app from the Play Store? The new apps will not work on the old Gingerbread Android OS. You need Android 4 or higher or install an older FP Messaging apk.

http://m.apkpure.com/freedompop-messaging/com.freedompop.phone.

This link has older freedompop messaging apps to download outside of google play store. I picked the second one since my HTC EVO 4G is running android 2.3.4 gingerbread. It was version 17.01.... Warning, it started working only after I restarted my phone.

B)

https://forums.freedompop.com/discussion/11243/freedom-forced-phone-upgrades-abandoning-all-freedompop-phones-below-android-4

• Paul CooperPaul Cooper Posts: 9FreedomPop Newbie
    Thank you for your help. My SII came with 4.0.4 so it should have been compatible but I downloaded an older version anyway. When this phone was functioning properly I think it had version 15xxx on it but the choices did not go back that far. I tried version 16xxx and it works over data but turning WIFI on it gives me an error telling me to turn WIFI off and try again. I am downloading version 17xxx now but it is going slow. While I was trying v16 it was constantly hounding me to update so I hope I can find a version or method to abort that behavior. My old Galaxy S has 15xxx on it and never asks to update so I may try to extract it if downloads fail. At any rate it seems you got me on a track that shows some promise so I will update when I get it sorted out. Thanks again!
    @djinks - thanks again for your help. Even though I have 4.0.4 it seems the older app I try the better it works, although if there was a newer version of 15 than 15.06.158.1213 then that is probably what I had when it was working the best. I currently have partial functionality so I am going to stick with v15 for now but keep my eyes out for a more comprehensive solution. At least at this point I can get it to do what I need from it which ends the day ahead of where I started. I got mixed results using Hangouts on data but if I am away from WIFI it will work using the web interface of Google Voice callback feature.

RESULTS:

V18 from playstore
    failed calling or receiving on data or wifi.
    HANGOUTS - worked on WIFI but not DATA

v17 download from link
    failed also with erratic behavior
    HANGOUTS - worked on WIFI but not DATA

v16 download from link
    USING DATA - recieved ok but errors and failures trying to call out
    USING WIFI - unable to recieve or call
    HANGOUTS - worked on WIFI not on DATA

v15 extracted from old phone
    USING DATA - called and received with no issues
    USING WIFI - called out fine but took many rings to respond to incoming call
    HANGOUTS - worked on WIFI, connected calling out on DATA but could not hear ringing on my end

edited January 2016 #6
    @Paul Cooper
    Have you tried the Hangouts dialer app? It will give you unlimited minutes and text over data or wifi. Try it. You can also just forward incoming calls to your FP number and use your FP minutes

Also it seems like mobile data is not working at all for any VOIP app. It does work for internet access though? That seems strange. Have you set the Settings > More Networks > Mobile Networks Network type to CDMA/EVDO only? maybe it is defaulting to Wimax, which no longer works. What are your options there?
    @djinks - The phone is working better today than yesterday so I am happy with it. Thank you for pointing me in the right direction!

Any mention of Hangouts above was referring to the Hangouts dialer app. It is the only thing I use Hangouts for so I forget people use it for other types of communication also. I ported my main number to Google years ago as my exclusive number for all phones so when I call out it is either with Hangouts or connecting with Google callback via the web interface or Voice Plus Google Callback. Using the older Messaging app above I was able to call out using data on Hangouts but for some reason I could not hear the ringing or anything on my end until the call was connected. That is actually the first time VOIP over data has worked at all for me on this phone. I have never had much luck calling out with VOIP applications over the Sprint network so I did not question it when other users (erroneously) told me Sprint blocks VOIP. I was unable to try it again today because my area only gets cell signal under certain conditions which apparently did not exist today.

For some reason Hangouts will not alert me on incoming calls on any phone which is apparently an account problem Google is unable to figure out but it does not affect enough of us for them to worry about it. I use GrooveIP on my other phones but I hate putting all my trust in an app that they have closed to new accounts.

I did do some more testing over WIFI and was not able to repeat the incoming call delay I had yesterday with the Freedompop number. It worked several times so I am going to call it good in that respect which is a relief because the freedompop phone has been very handy to have as a VOIP phone when I am out of signal and connected over WIFI. It happens occasional enough the minutes used are not a consideration. Normal surfing (usually GPS related when I am lost) using Freedompop data has never had any issues as long as I had a halfway decent connection.

As far as the network settings it appears my SII gives me no access so I downloaded an app I use on my global phone called "Network". According to that app the SII is connected as "WCDMA Preferred" which struck me as odd on a sprint phone but when I tried to change it to "CDMA only" the changes did not stick. It is possible that the Network app was unable to read the settings properly on this phone in the first place.
    @Paul Cooper
    In Hangouts tap the menu (three horizontal bars icon) the tap Settings. Tap your email address then find the incoming calls option, about halfway down the screen. It must be checked in order to receive incoming calls.

I find it strange that you do not have you access to the Network settings, under More Networks > Mobile network. Is that a custom ROM? I never had Android 4 on my S2. I sold it about a year ago.
    @djinks
    Wow! Thank you once again! I previously followed a support thread that unsuccessfully attempted to fix the Hangouts not alerting problem (including a bunch of "me too" posts) and it is strange that it was not mentioned to make sure that box was checked! It seems to work now!

I had seen that option before but since it was unchecked I left it that way. When I enabled texting on Hangouts it turned out Google quit sending texts to anything BUT Hangouts. I was afraid checking that box would do the same thing to my phone settings.

re mobile network settings: I bought this phone off Ebay so anything is possible but I searched by kernel build number and found no indication it is a custom ROM. My only options are "3g Data" and "Connections Optimizer". My Hydro running 4.0.4 has similar options. My global phone running Gingerbread I did find network types to select from but they were too limited for the way I was using the phone so I installed an app for the control I needed anyway.
    edited January 2016 #10
    @Paul Cooper
    The S2 came with data radios for 3G and 4G Wimax. Sprint discontinued the Wimax service in November. I suspect that is why you you only have "3G Data" in your Settings. So now, 3G is all you will get with this model. If your area has good 4G LTE coverage, you may want to consider getting a newer model.
    @djinks - Thanks for the information. I did not realize and it is good knowledge to have on hand. For now, though, 3g is plenty fast. My other phone on the GSM networks only provides 2g when connected to AT&T but even that is is fine for my sparse and sporadic needs. If I need anything faster I will stop and visit the next available WIFI signal.