**Reminder** When you sign up for FreedomPop service we often offer a free trial experience for one of our plans or add-on services. Upon the end of your Trial, you will incur the regular charge for that plan or service. Please take a look at our Community post for more information regarding your recent purchase and what to expect: http://bit.ly/2xFTGWY

Activated on Free plan

James_in_UtahJames_in_Utah Posts: 243FreedomPop Newbie
Hi,
We just got a free 250U for buying a phone, and I went to the web site and activated it for a penny, downloaded the software, picked the free 500 MB per month plan, and it seemed to work just fine on 3G. Then I noticed when I logged into the new account I just created, there's a red bar accross the top of the account. I usually see that when my account is deactivated for some reasone. Well this account doesn't say deactivated. And the device works just fine. Then I read here in the forums that the 250U is only valid on a paid plan. I suspect that I will be notified that I have to sign up for a paid monthly plan. Of course I will just cancel the plan. I didn't even really want or need this device. I had planned on keeping it as an emergency backup internet connection in our trailer for when we are camping. I'm not going to pay 3.99 per month for something I'm not using. Anyway, just thought I'd check in here to see if anything had changed. When they offered me this device for free, with free shipping, I did ask if it could be downgraded to the free plan and the person I was talking to said yes.

Comments

• jimindenverjimindenver Posts: 149FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Expert ✭✭✭
    It's too bad they would not allow you to use the stick on your phone account seeing that it gets free 3G.

$3.99 isn't bad for a gig a month with FP friends, you can't really buy a gig for that elsewhere. Paying for it when it won't be used however is waste.
  • James_in_UtahJames_in_Utah Posts: 243FreedomPop Newbie
    Once the cut me off I'll see if they will add it to my account with my phone.
    edited February 2016 #4
    So my hotspot worked for a couple of day, but when I tried it out this morning I get an error screen telling me I had to activate it on a 4G plan. I called and talked to billing and they said there's no option to add it to another account and have it work for free. Right now my plan is to upgrade it to the $3.99 plan if I need it, which won't be very often, then downgrade it to the free plan when I'm done with it. That's the cheapest 1GB of data I've seen. In the mean time, I think it will still be earning 1GB per month which I can use to donate 100 MB to my phone, and 100 MB to my wife's phone. At least I hope it works that way.
    here a extra gig of data for the hotspot is expensive. It was $8 a gig on Ringplus until today, now it's $7 for 500 Mb. On Cricket it's $10 a gig.

Looks like you get 500MB for $3.99 on FP, but if you have 50 friend, you would get another 500MB each month. So that seems to be less.
    I believe you would only get the extra 500 Mb free if the stick is completely seperate from the phone account. Different email and CC but I may be wrong.
    So far it looks like even though the device doesn't work, I have 50 friends and it's on the 500MB per month free plan. There are no other devices on that account, and it's on it's on email and CC.