**Reminder** When you sign up for FreedomPop service we often offer a free trial experience for one of our plans or add-on services. Upon the end of your Trial, you will incur the regular charge for that plan or service. Please take a look at our Community post for more information regarding your recent purchase and what to expect: http://bit.ly/2xFTGWY

The Netgear vs Modem

Landon BabbittLandon Babbitt Posts: 53FreedomPop Newbie ✭✭✭
Does anyone know if the Netgear modem will get a better signal since it has antennas, or if they both get about the same
(yes i know to look at the coverage map, but some devices get a better signal than others and i was wondering if the modem was one that got a better signal than the hotspot)

Best Answer

Answers

• Landon BabbittLandon Babbitt Posts: 53FreedomPop Newbie ✭✭✭
    Ok thx
    So basically the hotspot will most likely be better unless the modem is hooked up to a larger antenna and maybe not even then depending on how long the cable [email protected]" @limey
  • limeylimey Posts: 674FreedomPop Newbie ✭✭✭
    edited February 2016 #4
    @Landon Babbitt - I honestly can't say which would be better, although if you go purely by the numbers of that one comparison, that may be so.

Your best bet might be to pick the least expensive option that fits your likely needs & just give it a try? I'm not sure if FP still have the 803s, but both the Mingle Hotspot (which I've not yet tried) and the Netgear gateway can both be found at $30, which isn't too much of a loss if you find yourself in an area with problematic signal strength.
  • jimindenverjimindenver Posts: 149FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Expert ✭✭✭
    I have been researching external antennas for a while now. There are a few videos on you tube dealing with the 6100D and external antennas as well as a few for mobile hotspots.

The stock antennas don't do much for the 6100D and they wouldn't for my Mingle either. External antennas made a huge difference. Not just the expensive commercial ones, even a stubby little home brew antenna made a big difference. It didn't look like much but compared to the tiny antenna in a mobile hotspot, it's huge.

here is a video review of the 6100 as wells as external antenna test if you are interested.

• Landon BabbittLandon Babbitt Posts: 53FreedomPop Newbie ✭✭✭
    thx everyone and @jimindenver but i was actually wanting it to be put in like my car or something and with a smaller antenna :) but still thx for trying to help
  • limeylimey Posts: 674FreedomPop Newbie ✭✭✭

thx everyone and @jimindenver but i was actually wanting it to be put in like my car or something and with a smaller antenna :) but still thx for trying to help

@Landon Babbitt - If it's for the car, here's a couple of bit's of info that might be useful:

The 6100d gateway needs 12v, so you could possibly run it off the switched accessory circuit, so that it's automatically on/off with the ignition. However, the thing is physically quite large (17x10x2" or so with antennas, 11x9x2" without), so you may have trouble placing it.

The hotspots are small enough to stow anywhere & typically use 5v, so you'll need a USB port, or a stepdown from 12v, unless on battery. For permanent mounting, and If the 803s is anything to go by, the hotspot will auto power on, when 5v is applied, but remains on battery after removing the 5v supply (so you may need to manually turn it off).
  • jimindenverjimindenver Posts: 149FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Expert ✭✭✭
    You couldn't use a directional antenna but I'm sure there is a magnetic mounted antenna that could be connected to the 6100.
  • Robert FesslerRobert Fessler Posts: 34FreedomPop Newbie

I have been researching external antennas for a while now. There are a few videos on you tube dealing with the 6100D and external antennas as well as a few for mobile hotspots.

The stock antennas don't do much for the 6100D and they wouldn't for my Mingle either. External antennas made a huge difference. Not just the expensive commercial ones, even a stubby little home brew antenna made a big difference. It didn't look like much but compared to the tiny antenna in a mobile hotspot, it's huge.

@jimindenver
    You mention good results using an external antenna for the Mingle. I have one and could really use some extra oomph. I don't want to invest a lot, but maybe the home brew version might fill the bill. I've been searching youtube but I'm confused. Can you point me to info or videos that explain how to do this for a hotspot, for a rank amateur? Thanks.
  • z003z003 Posts: 73FreedomPop Newbie

What antennas did you use with your 6100D? Mine can't seem to get a strong signal compared to my old 803s