**Reminder** When you sign up for FreedomPop service we often offer a free trial experience for one of our plans or add-on services. Upon the end of your Trial, you will incur the regular charge for that plan or service. Please take a look at our Community post for more information regarding your recent purchase and what to expect: http://bit.ly/2xFTGWY

Unlimited Plan: Is there an unlimited plan available?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 31
edited January 2014 in Home Broadband #1
Currently the highest data plan offered is 10GB's on all of the devices, higher data plans may be offered in the future.
Post edited by [Deleted User] on

Comments

• geekbabegeekbabe Posts: 0FreedomPop Newbie
    What are the cost of these
  • LukeLuke Posts: 318FreedomPop Newbie
    geekbabe said:

What are the cost of these

Look on their website.
    Wroof!
  • Nhu-Y LeNhu-Y Le Posts: 0FreedomPop Newbie
    how can you determine usage?
  • Charles KellerCharles Keller Posts: 1FreedomPop Newbie
    How far in the future? I want to cancel an unlimited plan with another provider but if the future is a couple of years aay then I may cancel the FP acct. =P~
  • James SewellJames Sewell Posts: 67FreedomPop Newbie ✭✭✭
    any word on higher data plans? $25 a month for 25gigs...or $30 unlimited?

the hub looks exactly like my old Clearwireless Modem (I think they covered up the logo with that freedom pop sticker....even the inside of the box is packaged in green cardboard, lol) and I think it runs on the same towers...Wimax can definitely be unlimited. Clearwireless used to do 1.5Mbps for $30. Unlimited data can be done....but when will it be done?

it will have to be cheaper than the current ClearWirless basic rate of $39.99 as a too close of a price will mean people switch to Clear.
  • Brian McPhersonBrian McPherson Posts: 1,365FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Master, FreedomPop Expert ✭✭✭✭

the hub looks exactly like my old Clearwireless Modem (I think they covered up the logo with that freedom pop sticker....even the inside of the box is packaged in green cardboard, lol) and I think it runs on the same towers...Wimax can definitely be unlimited. Clearwireless used to do 1.5Mbps for $30. Unlimited data can be done....but when will it be done?

it will have to be cheaper than the current ClearWirless basic rate of $39.99 as a too close of a price will mean people switch to Clear.

@James, there not a provider in this country that gave unlimit data at the price of $30.00
    Email: [email protected]
    [email protected]

For better help in real time, "Skype" is the best help I can offer. My Skype User is "freewill95". You can add me to your contact list and in the message box, type "freedompop user".
  • Russell JudgeRussell Judge Posts: 2FreedomPop Newbie
    WD80 said:

How far in the future? I want to cancel an unlimited plan with another provider but if the future is a couple of years aay then I may cancel the FP acct. =P~

Who do you think you are kidding - there are no longer any "Unlimited" plans... At best when you hit a threshold of 5GB you might still have data but, it is at 1X speeds...

You are throttled by any Mobile provider over 5GB's - yes, your cap before throttle is higher on a "wired home internet" but you won't see more than 5GB on any Mobile provider before throttling...
    Throttling is a completely different issue than the issue with the 10GB max plan currently available for home broadband.

Right now, with the 10 GB plan, unless you have automatic top-up, when you use 10 GB of data in a month, your internet access is completely blocked.

In Columbus OH, I can purchase from TWC an unlimited plan for only $14.99--which is less than the 10 GB plan from Freedompop ($18.99), except that the TWC plan is for only 2 mps, as opposed to Freedompop's 8 mps. If I thought 2mps were fast enough for me, I'd switch to have that unlimited data. As it is, each month I find 10 GB is just not quite enough, though it's not far from what I need.

Throttling is irrelevant--it does not relate to the issue at hand. The issue is that if we want more than 10 GB, it starts to get very expensive--$10 more for just 1.5 GB more. I'd be willing to pay a little extra just to have even a couple more GB.
  • rikknetrikknet Posts: 0FreedomPop Newbie
    50GB and/or 100GB plan would be an excellent choice to take freedom hub burst

@James, there not a provider in this country that gave unlimit data at the price of $30.00

clearwireless was $34.99 for the basic unlimited plan and recently went up to $39.99.

http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/Clearwire-Hiking-Existing-Customer-Prices-by-5-126165
  • JAY SANCHEZJAY SANCHEZ Posts: 410FreedomPop Master, FreedomPop Expert ✭✭✭
    Without fully going into an analysis of FP's business model, I'll state the obvious here:

* Radio spectrum licensing is expensive
    * Leasing radio towers is expensive
    * Operating said radio towers is expensive
    * FP has none of the above so it must pay Sprint
    * Sprint wants to recover as much as possible from its investment in Clear
    * FP has customers all over the country
    * Physical media will (almost) always beat wireless in raw data speed
    * Cable companies have a quasi-monopoly in last-mile access in many regions
    * Cable companies typically have thousands of customers in a relatively small area

And so on and so forth. Trying to compare FP's services to those of [insert cable ISP name here] is like comparing apples to sushi.
  • Brian McPhersonBrian McPherson Posts: 1,365FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Master, FreedomPop Expert ✭✭✭✭
    If these wireless company ever have brain storm going to get the ideal of volume of customers where they reduce cost and increase data (lots data). Then they steal these customers from the cable companies because everyone like to take there internet with them.
    Email: [email protected]
    [email protected]

For better help in real time, "Skype" is the best help I can offer. My Skype User is "freewill95". You can add me to your contact list and in the message box, type "freedompop user".
  • Ali Ali Posts: 6,735FreedomPop Master, Test Role, iOS Master ✭✭✭✭✭
    Technically, if you go over your data cap and are willing to pay the overage fees, then it would be kinda unlimited. Overage fees are expensive though.

Without fully going into an analysis of FP's business model, I'll state the obvious here:

* Radio spectrum licensing is expensive
    * Leasing radio towers is expensive
    * Operating said radio towers is expensive
    * FP has none of the above so it must pay Sprint
    * Sprint wants to recover as much as possible from its investment in Clear
    * FP has customers all over the country
    * Physical media will (almost) always beat wireless in raw data speed
    * Cable companies have a quasi-monopoly in last-mile access in many regions
    * Cable companies typically have thousands of customers in a relatively small area

And so on and so forth. Trying to compare FP's services to those of [insert cable ISP name here] is like comparing apples to sushi.

I can compare it to clear wireless. Clear Wireless was willing to offer me the minimum plan for $25 for 6-months after I told them about freedom pop. If it was lifetime $25 i would have accepted the deal. Maybe I could just tell clear I can only do $25 per month. I was happy with clear...I was just trying to cut cost.

You just can't really stream anything with freedom pop. 10gb ain't enough for that. But freedom pop definitely serves a purpose as it can be the cheapest option in many places and is affordable for those that can't afford high priced internet.
  • Tom RocheTom Roche Posts: 4FreedomPop Newbie
    WD80 said:

You are throttled by any Mobile provider over 5GB's - yes, your cap before throttle is higher on a "wired home internet" but you won't see more than 5GB on any Mobile provider before throttling...

Throttling is a completely different issue

Throttling is completely relevant in this context, though WD80 et al have not made the point clear. I'll use the terminology of system science: a "stock" is a quantity of something (say, your wealth, or the total data you consume in a month), and a "flow" is the rate of change of a stock over time (e.g., your net income, or the data rate you experience at a given moment). The size of a stock is the product (or, to get technical, the integral) of all of its flows over time.

The point is, when the current carriers throttle (as most if not all do), they falsify their claim of "unlimited data." It's already false in the most technical sense, in that you don't have an unlimited data rate: the absolute limit on the your monthly data usage (the stock) is the max data rate per second (the maximum flow) time the number of seconds in a month (~2.628e6). But what most people mean by "unlimited data," and expect from an "unlimited-data plan," is that they can get (approximately) their maximum data rate over the entire plan period--that they can achieve that absolute limit.

But in fact that's not what current carriers do. Above certain levels (or thresholds) of data usage, they clamp the flow, i.e. reduce your data rate. And, typically, they tighten the clamp (i.e., reduce the maximum flow) as data usage over the period (the stock) increases. Thus one does not even achieve the absolute data limit for the period (what people tend to call "unlimited")--one gets much less.

That the resulting limit of the stock (data usage, the integral of the varying data rates over the period) is achieved by reducing the data rate (i.e., gradually throttling as data usage increases) rather than a hard constraint (i.e., throttling data transfer to zero after some amount of data transfer over the period) doesn't mean the data plan is "unlimited." It just achieves the data limit through other, more fraudulent, means.
    @James: Clear is gone. It was acquired by Sprint last year.
  • Philip HowardPhilip Howard Posts: 12FreedomPop Newbie
    Instead of "unlimited" which could mean 120GB with a dollar charge for each GB you go over, which my GF is paying $30/mo for 6 months, which will go up if she doesn't cancel again & make another "new" service with grandma bell, let's cut their base wired offer in half due to higher expense of towers over wires. 60 GB at full speed for $30/mo may still be asking for too much from the towers. However, how about Home Internet 40GB at full speed, but the speed would be throttled down to 1mb/s for the rest of the month with a two buck charge for each GB over 60. For the mobile users, offer about 2/3 of the data for the same price (the overage should be three bucks per GB overage on the high plan - their speed would throttle at about 26GB). The free and regular plans would still have the regular price overage charges. I would also set a 3to2 ratio on sharing "unlimited" home Megabytes with mobile internet devices or phones, because home units would be purchasing the data for 2/3 the cost of mobile customers. I'll pay $30 for 40-60 GB Home Service with the ability to share up to 500mb with my phone (which already has 2 years unlimited FP voice & text)

@James: Clear is gone. It was acquired by Sprint last year.

i just had clear wireless last month. You can still sign up if you bring your own device....people still sell clear devices on amazon. I told them I may come back at some point later as they will still offer wimax until 2015.

https://www.clear.com/devices/byod

1.5Mbs download is $39.99 a month plus tax. the higher speed plan is $49.99 a month plus tax. It's unlimited data for both plans. The offered me $25 a month for the 1.5Mbps download unlimited data. I was just seeing if i could cut cost and decided to go with freedom pop.

Clear has not left the building. call them for yourself, lol.
    https://www.clear.com/support/contact

@James Sewell‌ Most interesting because I did try to set up Internet for my parents in TX and I was told by Clear that they were not adding new customers in the area where they lived, hence my previous posting. It is entirely possible that the WiMAX network will still be available post-2015 in a few select (and profitable) markets, but that remains to be seen.

@James Sewell‌ Most interesting because I did try to set up Internet for my parents in TX and I was told by Clear that they were not adding new customers in the area where they lived, hence my previous posting. It is entirely possible that the WiMAX network will still be available post-2015 in a few select (and profitable) markets, but that remains to be seen.

wow....

fair enough. If I do go back to clear...i'll be sure to post/let you know of my experience because they were offering me a 6 month discount as 3-4yr customer. I told them I may come back and they never said I could not come back once I canceled. I'm out here in MD...and I don't think clear wireless is that popular as a lot of people are about the packages with verizon and xfinity/comcast.

I was hoping clear would have gone to LTE before sprint bought them out, ha.

• Philip HowardPhilip Howard Posts: 12FreedomPop Newbie
    $40.00 - $50.00 for a true unlimited is OK, but I assume people are looking at FP, to get away from $50.00 plans, usually purchased by those online gaming & streaming several hours daily. Paraphrasing what I previously posted, a $30.00 home plan with a 40-60GB cap and a lower overage fee would be sufficient for those who watch a few hours weekly of TV and movies online, yet, still be profitable for FP. I am still with Clear with a grandfathered $55.00 home & mobile unlimited monthly plan. If a plan similar to the proposed one is available, I'll drop Clear completely. An unlimited plan would be like an all you can eat pizza buffet. You aren't allowed to share any of the pieces. With a limited "capped" plan FP may still allow us to share a few pieces with a friend, as if we had a large pizza delivered to our home.
    edited May 2014 #24
    One option to explore would be to have content providers subsidize data access to users of their service, for instance have Google pay for free, unlimited access to their Play store for apps, music and movies (does anybody really use the Play store, anyway, other than Google employees?). Users only pay for the content they want via purchase or rental, and get unlimited access to it. (I think it would work better for subscription or rental services than for purchased content, but I may be wrong.)

Similar arrangements could be agreed with other content providers like Hulu, Target Ticket, etc. There were reports that AT&T and Amazon were working on a similar offering for a smartphone that would have unlimited (as in non-metered) access to Amazon's appstore and the Prime video library. In fact, AT&T has this for businesses and calls it "Sponsored Data".
    They raised the price on 10gb from 14.99 to 18.99. You have to get the 18.99 plan now...no bueno. I need 20gb for that price. hmm....i don't know about the home internet service anymore...i'm considering a different direction.

had no problem signing back up for clear yesterday. bought a used hub off of amazon and signed up online after providing my mac ID on the bring your own device page. Maybe it's an isolated issues....zero problem in Maryland.
This discussion has been closed.