Possible workaround till Sprint fixes it's LTE connection issues (March 12, 2016)

Marc JosephMarc Joseph Posts: 172FreedomPop Newbie
edited March 2016 in Tips #1
A number of people have reported problems connecting to Sprint's LTE network over the last couple of days. I have two FreedomPop phones and a NetGear USB modem. All three of my devices are having LTE connection issues- which was not the case until about two days ago- so I'm assuming that the problem is on Sprint's end and not with my devices (and others have reported that Sprint is having LTE problems). Anyhow, the workaround, at least until Sprint straightens things out, is to disable LTE on your phone. To do so, go into settings, then under "Wireless and Networks", tap "More", then "Mobile Networks", and then "Network Mode". Here, select CDMA. This will disable LTE and force your phone to connect to Sprint's 3G network, which seems to be working fine (for me, at least), and will thus allow you to make and receive calls and to access the internet when away from wifi. (These are the settings for my LG G2 running Lollipop, and similarly with my Icon running kitkat).
Post edited by njfulwider5 on

Comments

• weanutweanut Posts: 309FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Expert ✭✭✭
    hi marc, amazingly, i tried that out this morning and it worked for me as well. i even came up with it before reading this. i wish i'd thought of it or read this yesterday :) i really needed phone & web access but what can you do. i've been trying to see if anyone else had tried this, so it may well work for hopefully most of us. glad you posted!

@Ali you wanna throw in how to do that on an iphone? worth a shot maybe.
  • weanutweanut Posts: 309FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Expert ✭✭✭
    @njfulwider5 you too on iphone? thanks!
  • c.m. prescott (3rd)c.m. prescott (3rd) Posts: 10FreedomPop Newbie
    I am writing this on Boost Mobile (sprint) LTE from the same location none of my Freedompop devices work. So the problem is not with Sprint LTE; it is something wrong with Freedompop.
    My FreedomPop LTE is now working again! Thanks to whoever fixed it.
    edited March 2016 #7
    A few minutes ago I posted that LTE was fixed...but now it's not working again :( Maybe they are actively working on a fix? UPDATE: has been working now for a couple hours.
    Post edited by c.m. prescott (3rd) on
  • goobygooby Posts: 58FreedomPop Newbie
    Luky for you! Still not working for me.
  • Marc JosephMarc Joseph Posts: 172FreedomPop Newbie
    I'm glad yours is working. Mine is not. I'm in Philadelphia.
  • James_in_UtahJames_in_Utah Posts: 244FreedomPop Newbie
    4GLTE is working fine in Utah.
  • njfulwider5njfulwider5 Posts: 10,413FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Master, Test Role, FreedomPop Expert, FreedomFan, Android Master , FP Flyer ✭✭✭✭✭
    @weanut
    I created a few tutorial over the past month. You can find this tutorial on the Iphone part>>

http://support.sprint.com/support/tutorial/Turn-4G-on-or-off-Apple-iPhone-5-16GB/WScenario_542_44049_771_en_665-dvc6580001prd

Its been awhile, but if I remember correctly, there is no setting for CDMA or 3G only. Only a way to turn 4G off. Once you turn 4G Off, The Iphone will only use Wifi over CDMA(CDMA only using Data). With 4G on, it will use 4G over CDMA/Wifi, and than CDMA over Wifi. Just Turn 4G off on the Iphone.

Here is the Main Part of the Post I wrote>>

https://forums.freedompop.com/discussion/14633/everything-freedompop-phones-click-on-your-phone-connection-issue-user-guides-how-to-tutorials?/1

Great Tips and Trick, User Guides and How to's in my Signature-(Take a Peek)

Hope you find any post I have created helpful. Please look for my How to-s(Downgrading-100% Free) and (How to use the FreedomPop Community), or my Guides on FreedomPop Devices(Phones) and (Hotspots). Here is one on (FreedomPop Plans). Here is one on all (FreedomPop Apps). He is one on(Traveling with your GSM Global Sim?) or Common Question about the (GSM Global Sim). You can PM me anytime by clicking this link here njfulwider5. Than click the BUTTON with the (Small Envelope), to left of the word (MESSAGE). I will do my best help. Welcome to FreedomPop

• limeylimey Posts: 674FreedomPop Newbie ✭✭✭
    edited March 2016 #12
    Weirdly, my Galaxy Tab 3 connects to LTE just fine - however, my ZTE Force & Photon Q slider both fail, briefly showing the 4G symbol, then losing it, then showing it again ad infinitum. My 803s hotspot (on the free non 3G data plan) shows as connected on 4G LTE, but has no internet.

At weekends most of my FP gadgets live on WiFi, so I've not been too badly affected thus far - hopefully, the tablet will keep on working with LTE until FP/Sprint figure out whatever's gone wonky...

[edit: If you happen to have one of the FP global MiFi2 hotspots, I can confirm that these are completely unaffected - they don't depend on Sprint's network (instead using 3G/HSPA+, typically on TMobile/AT&T in the USA).]
  • rickinhurstrickinhurst Posts: 29FreedomPop Newbie
    My wife and sister both have Sprint lte phones and they are both working fine. All my freedompop devices are not working. It does sound better to blame Sprint as the CS people have been programmed to say...
  • Randall ScottRandall Scott Posts: 12FreedomPop Newbie
    My data stopped working yesterday March 12 around 3 pm est called tech support today and they said they are working on it
  • fsdealsfsdeals Posts: 1FreedomPop Newbie
    Still not working for me. I have 3 freedompop phones. Two work with the 3G workaround, one of it doesn't work even with the same workaround.
    :(
  • Jesse HafemeisterJesse Hafemeister Posts: 7FreedomPop Newbie
    I'm having the same issue and switching off the 4G LTE/CDMA to the 3G CDMA only seemed to work for me on my Kyocera Hydro Icon.
  • rickinhurstrickinhurst Posts: 29FreedomPop Newbie
    Please stop censuring the comments as well. Nothing is being said that is bad. Just stating the facts, and expecting the minimum.
  • goobygooby Posts: 58FreedomPop Newbie
    Can we *please* get an update from FP about the problem?
    FWIW: My hotspot/router took an abnormal amount of time to start working again after turning it off and back on. Approx. 30 minutes on the network before it was properly recognized; then LTE started working again. Looking at the router logs: They were dated 1/1/1970 for 30 minutes, then all of a sudden changed to 3/14/2016 at the moment internet access began working. I didn't do anything in the meantime (no profile update/no PRL update).

So it seems there is/was some sort of delay in the Sprint network for recognizing FreedomPop's active account status.
  • Fpop7777 Fp917Fpop7777 Fp917 Posts: 1FreedomPop Newbie
    It's working for me now - since late this morning. My Galaxy S3 was working fine. But my two iPhones - an iPhone 5S and an iPhone 5 were having issues with connecting to Freedompop - even though the status bar showed I was connect to Sprint LTE.
  • James_in_UtahJames_in_Utah Posts: 244FreedomPop Newbie
    LTE is not working in Ogden Utah right now. Switched to CDMA only, and now 3G works.
  • Joseph L  GrilloJoseph L Grillo Posts: 4FreedomPop Newbie
    No phone, txt or internet service on my phone since the night of 3/10. Did a phone reset and still can't get any connection. It show there is 3g & 4g, but not receiving any data. Can't make calls, receive text or do web surfing. No phone for 4 days on works with wifi. Not good. Need to have it up an running as it is my only phone.
  • njfulwider5njfulwider5 Posts: 10,413FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Master, Test Role, FreedomPop Expert, FreedomFan, Android Master , FP Flyer ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2016 #23
    If your having issues connecting, make sure to update the profile and PRL after you set the device to 3g. Instructions can be found in this post, Just click on the phone you use>>>

https://forums.freedompop.com/discussion/14633/everything-freedompop-phones-click-on-your-phone-connection-issue-user-guides-how-to-tutorials#latest

If you still have issues connecting, it is possible you have more going on than the LTE network being down. Contact customer support or create a ticket here>>

http://www.freedompop.com/support

@rickinhurst
    No one Person is censoring here on the forum. The Vanilla system they use here has a strange way of picking out words to censor. It needs some work! I have had many of my words censored, and the word was nothing? If you get any kind of censor, you will see a little message like this one below this answer. Says something like this

( Post edited by njfulwider5 at 12:38PM) it would have the name of the admin that edited or censored the post. Mine has mine name, because I have 3 minutes to edit my post usually.

Hope you find any post I have created helpful. Please look for my How to-s(Downgrading-100% Free) and (How to use the FreedomPop Community), or my Guides on FreedomPop Devices(Phones) and (Hotspots). Here is one on (FreedomPop Plans). Here is one on all (FreedomPop Apps). He is one on(Traveling with your GSM Global Sim?) or Common Question about the (GSM Global Sim). You can PM me anytime by clicking this link here njfulwider5. Than click the BUTTON with the (Small Envelope), to left of the word (MESSAGE). I will do my best help. Welcome to FreedomPop

• Netgear MingleNetgear Mingle Posts: 3FreedomPop Newbie
    edited March 2016 #24
    Tried 3G-only workaround for Netgear Mingle and Motorola XT897. Surprise, it actually worked (South Carolina)!

That didn't take long... The workaround stopped working.
    Post edited by Netgear Mingle on
  • pekrhdpekrhd Posts: 3FreedomPop Newbie
    New to FP,just registered
    I have an LG Gpad tablet that just came last week. Having the same problem with LTE. Cellular data worked OK when I first got it and then I updated to Android 5.0.1 and I thought that that was causing the problem but I see that others are also.
    I don't see any options in Settings to turn off LTE and only use 3G,any suggestions ? Wifi is working fine.

Thanx
    edited March 2016 #26
    @pekrhd
    Unfortantly the LG G Pad is only LTE & WiFi, no 3G capabilities.

This discussion has been closed.