**Reminder** When you sign up for FreedomPop service we often offer a free trial experience for one of our plans or add-on services. Upon the end of your Trial, you will incur the regular charge for that plan or service. Please take a look at our Community post for more information regarding your recent purchase and what to expect: http://bit.ly/2xFTGWY

Everything Novatel Mifi 2, User Guides, Tutorials, Changing Passwords!

njfulwider5njfulwider5 Posts: 10,413FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Master, Test Role, FreedomPop Expert, FreedomFan, Android Master , FP Flyer ✭✭✭✭✭

Novatel Mifi 2(Global Sim)

How to locate the Password on the Mifi 2-

➊ Press the Power button.

➋ Tap the Connection Info icon to display your device’s Wi-Fi Network Name (SSID) and
password

To connect to your device's Wi-Fi "Main" (default password is "freedompop") all lowercase, no quotations

IMPORTANT: Record your Wi-Fi password (also referred to as the Wi-Fi key or network security
key depending on your operating system).

Connect to Your MiFi 2-

You can connect up to 10 compatible Wi-Fi enabled devices. To connect wireless devices (computers, tablets, e-readers, cameras, media players, smartphones, etc.):

➊ Open the Wi-Fi menu on the device you would like to connect and view the list of available networks.

➋ Select your MiFi 2 Wi-Fi Network Name (SSID) (e.g., Freedompop-XXXX).

➌ Select Connect and enter the Wi-Fi password displayed under Connection Info on the MiFi 2.
Note: Freedompop's Master (default password is "freedompop") all lowercase, no quotations

➍ After you connect your computer to your MiFi 2 using Wi-Fi, you can access the MiFi 2 Web Interface to customize settings, change your password, access applications and more. Browse to (http://my.mifi), and log in using the default password: admin.

➎ Configure security for your MiFi 2.

To Connect the Mifi 2 via Teather or USB Mode-

http://www.att.com/devicehowto/tutorial.html#!/interactive/id/interactive_859838?make=NovatelWireless&model=MobileHotspotMiFiLiberate

How to change the Passwords(Network & Admin)-

Here is a great way to change the Network name and SSID/Password for added security-

➊ Open your browser, go to http://my.mifi then click Login. (alternatively, http://192.168.1.1)

➋ Enter the Admin Login password and then click Login.
Note: The default is ( admin )

➌ Click Settings on the Navigation panel and then select Hotspot Settings. The Hotspot Settings > General window opens.

➍ Enter your new Wi-Fi password in the Wi-Fi Password (Key) field. The password must be 8-63 ASCII characters.

➎ Click Save Changes. A confirmation message will display in the green bar near the top of the page when the changes have been successfully saved. You will need to reconnect all Wi-Fi devices using the new Wi-Fi password

Change your Password using the Mifi 2-

http://www.att.com/devicehowto/tutorial.html#!/interactive/id/interactive_859925?make=NovatelWireless&model=MobileHotspotMiFiLiberate

Here is the User Guide-

http://www.nvtl.com/files/1413/6399/6415/90026783_R1_VIEW_UG_MiFi_2_MVNO_22Mar2013.pdf

Note: If you notice you have no Wifi and the Mifi 2 is plugged in. Please unplug the Mifi and test. Members are reporting that the Mifi will not charge and Connect Via WiFi at the same time.

MiFi 2 Web Interface Navigation-

Each page contains a menu bar to help you navigate. The navigation panel is at the left of the browser interface on each page and contains the following:

• MiFi Home — takes you to the MiFi 2 Home page. (See page 12.)

• Connected Devices — takes you to the Connected Devices page, where you can view devices currently connected to your MiFi 2 and see blocked devices. (See page 31.)

• Data Usage — takes you to the Data Usage page, where you can view your current data usage and manage your account. (See page 35.)

• Settings — takes you to the Settings page, where you can customize your device, hotspot, mobile and advanced settings. (See page 37.)

• MiFi Media Center — takes you to the Media Center page, where you can view and share your movies, music and photos with connected devices. (See page 69.)

• Messages — takes you to the Messages page, where you can view your unread messages sent to your MiFi 2. (See page 77.)

• File Sharing — takes you to the File Sharing page, where you can customize your file sharing settings, and view all files stored on a microSD card installed in the MiFi device. (See page 80.)

• GPS — takes you to the GPS page, where the GPS receiver on the MiFi device can determine your current location. (See page 85.)

• Customer Support — displays your wireless number and device model. (See page 91.)

• About — takes you to the About page, where you can get details regarding current status, device information, and software updates. (See page 93.)

Data Usage Reset-

To access the Data Usage page, pg 35, click Data Usage on the Navigation panel. The Data Usage page
contains the following.

• Alert Level — alerts will be generated to warn you that data usage is approaching or has
reached the alert level specified on this page.

• Reset Data Counter — use to restart the data counter and set the last reset date to today’s
date.

• Settings — use to select your desired usage alert level and cycle start date

➊ To display your estimated data usage, reset your data counter, and manage your settings, select the Data Usage tab on the Navigation panel on the MiFi 2 Web Interface Home page.

➋ Click Reset Data Counter to restart the data counter, and to set the last reset date to today’s date.

➌ To set your data usage alert level, select the desired option from the Usage alert level drop-down menu. If the desired option is not available, select None, and data usage will be recorded and displayed, but no alerts will be generated.

➍ To set the day of the month you wish the data counter to reset to zero, select the desired day from the cycle start date drop-down menu.

➎ Click Save Changes.

On the MiFi 2 Touchscreen (Data Counter)-

➊ To display your data plan summary, data used, and days remaining in your billing cycle, tap the Data Usage icon on the touchscreen.

➋ To update the data plan summary, click Refresh.

Note: Actual billed usage can be higher than estimated data usage displayed on the usage meter. I normally reset mine each time my account rolls over to the new month.

Here is the quick Start Guide-

http://images.comparecellular.com/phones/1892/Novatel_MiFi_2_User_Guide_Eng.pdf

Here is some AT&T Tutorials That work Great with the Mifi 2-

http://www.att.com/devicehowto/index.html#!/tutorials/topic/9006081?make=NovatelWireless&model=MobileHotspotMiFiLiberate

Here is some AT&T Videos Tutorials-

http://www.att.com/devicehowto/index.html#!/videos

Why does my Hotspot/Modem/USB show Data usage before any usage?-

The Data Usage Monitor/Calculator you see on your device is not synced with the Data you have on your account. This is just a program placed on the device to help you monitor the Data you use. If you receive your device and it shows any usage, this will not reflect on your account. Normally you will find a way to reset this Monitor/Calculator, in your User guide or the Instruction Manual. Typically if you want this to show the data you have on your account, you would reset this on Day 1 of your Plan, before any usage. You will also find that this Monitor/Calculator is not 100% Accurate. But it will give you a rough idea of the Data you use on the device, and becomes very handy once you learn how to use.

Great Tips and Trick, User Guides and How to's in my Signature-(Take a Peek)

Hope you find any post I have created helpful. Please look for my How to-s(Downgrading-100% Free) and (How to use the FreedomPop Community), or my Guides on FreedomPop Devices(Phones) and (Hotspots). Here is one on (FreedomPop Plans). Here is one on all (FreedomPop Apps). He is one on(Traveling with your GSM Global Sim?) or Common Question about the (GSM Global Sim). You can PM me anytime by clicking this link here njfulwider5. Than click the BUTTON with the (Small Envelope), to left of the word (MESSAGE). I will do my best help. Welcome to FreedomPop

Post edited by njfulwider5 on

Comments

• roblewingtonroblewington Posts: 1FreedomPop Newbie
    Thanks very useful, though one thing I can't convince mine to do is see the current date and time. Any thoughts?
  • abcabc Posts: 189FreedomPop Newbie
    it\s very useful
  • jonzbizjonzbiz Posts: 1FreedomPop Newbie
    Why do streaming services like Hulu think I am not in USA
  • John KuoJohn Kuo Posts: 1FreedomPop Newbie
    When I connect to my wifi hotspot, I get "no internet" error. I can see my laptop is connected for sure, it just can't get on the internet. The MiFi device shows 5 full bars connected to T-Mobile.

My account has 1.5 GB data left so data isn't the issue.. I remember it had internet connection once very briefly and since then it has never worked. Anyone got any ideas?
  • lindelinde Posts: 6FreedomPop Newbie
    Is it important to update the firmware or best to leave it alone? Mine is Software Version 1.1 (L1.44.71 M1.44.6).
  • rushnumrushnum Posts: 1FreedomPop Newbie
    edited July 2016 #7
    I just received my Novatel Mifi 2 last week and I'm unable to open the battery cover to get to the SIM. I'm beginning to think it's been intentionally glued together by FreedomPop.

Also it looks refurbished, it did not come in its original box and I see scratch marks under the battery cover indicating the previous owner must've used something sharp like a screwdriver to try and pry it open. Unlike other posts on this forum, mine shipped with the battery and SIM pre-installed.

Unless someone can tell me how to replace the SIM on this device without resorting to sharp tools like the previous owner, I'm going to have to return this device for a replacement or refund.

Any ideas?
  • EddieJonesEddieJones Posts: 1FreedomPop Newbie
    edited July 2016 #8
    Received my new unit Friday. I've followed all directions and can connect devices. MacBook Pro, Kindle Fire. They speak to the MiFi unit. Problem is, MiFi doesn't have service. Not anywhere. Not in NC, not in Virginia. Nada.

Screen looks nice, but that's it. Anyone know how to get FreedomPop to address this issue? Thus far I've tried contacting them through their Contact form, email, Facebook message from their Facebook page, and telephone. (FreedomPop comes to work at noon East Coast time on Mondays. Wish I could sleep in like that.) No response from anyone at FreedomPop, yet.

Short of actually getting the unit to work, does anyone know the return process?
  • Jeffrey MartinJeffrey Martin Posts: 1FreedomPop Newbie
    @EddieJones,

I'm having a similar issue. My Hotspot won't connect to LTE, just HSPAN+, although 4G LTE is widely available in my area and surrounding areas. Unfortunately, there is no option for updating the PRL, and regular firmware updates seem to state that the update server is currently unavailable. I reached out to their support by phone, and followed up by email, but I don't believe they know why this is going on either. I suspect it's the SIM card, but am unsure. Hopefully, someone in their support can answer this, since no answer will yield complaints.
  • Joshua PaulsenJoshua Paulsen Posts: 2FreedomPop Newbie
    @Jeffrey Martin,
    I have the same problem. No WWAN menu to access PRL option/resets and the firmware update server is not available. I can only see HSPAN, but my freedompop phone gets LTE and 3G just fine. Freedompop phone CS was useless because they just kept directing me to the settings page for WWAN (which doesn't exist). Arrgh, hopefully someone can help soon.
  • Joshua PaulsenJoshua Paulsen Posts: 2FreedomPop Newbie
    @Jeffrey Martin,
    I have the same problem as you, CS on the phone was of no help since they just referred me to the setting tab for WWAN, which near as I can tell does not exist.
  • njfulwider5njfulwider5 Posts: 10,413FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Master, Test Role, FreedomPop Expert, FreedomFan, Android Master , FP Flyer ✭✭✭✭✭
    With GSM Data, There is no LTE. Freedompop has the GSM Devices advertised as Edge, HSPA and HSPA+.

Great Tips and Trick, User Guides and How to's in my Signature-(Take a Peek)

Hope you find any post I have created helpful. Please look for my How to-s(Downgrading-100% Free) and (How to use the FreedomPop Community), or my Guides on FreedomPop Devices(Phones) and (Hotspots). Here is one on (FreedomPop Plans). Here is one on all (FreedomPop Apps). He is one on(Traveling with your GSM Global Sim?) or Common Question about the (GSM Global Sim). You can PM me anytime by clicking this link here njfulwider5. Than click the BUTTON with the (Small Envelope), to left of the word (MESSAGE). I will do my best help. Welcome to FreedomPop

This discussion has been closed.