**Reminder** When you sign up for FreedomPop service we often offer a free trial experience for one of our plans or add-on services. Upon the end of your Trial, you will incur the regular charge for that plan or service. Please take a look at our Community post for more information regarding your recent purchase and what to expect: http://bit.ly/2xFTGWY

does Freedompop Moto E work with freedompop international sim

jang198jang198 Posts: 4FreedomPop Newbie
Title says it all, does the Freedompop moto E second edition work with the new global sim they released and does it work in the United States?

Best Answer

Answers

• JJFreedomJJFreedom Posts: 419FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Expert, FP Flyer, SD Flyers ✭✭✭
    @jang198 - Unfortunately, the FreedomPop Moto E runs off of Sprint's CDMA Towers, and the international SIM is for GSM phones (like those that would run on T-Mobile or AT&T). The SIM would not be compatible and wouldn't able to connect.

The Global SIM is currently sold out; however, you can purchase a Novatel 4G Global Hotspot for $39.99, and it works in the US.
    I usually respond within 24 hours. If you need help, feel free to ask.

Also, to tag me directly, write @JJFreedom. - this way I will know when you are talking to me.
  • jang198jang198 Posts: 4FreedomPop Newbie
    The sprint Moto E has gsm bands and sim card slot I was wondering if it could be DSU unlocked and used for use with that sim.
    edited March 2016 #5
    multipost error.
    Post edited by jang198 on
    edited March 2016 #6
    multipost error.
    Post edited by jang198 on
  • JJFreedomJJFreedom Posts: 419FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Expert, FP Flyer, SD Flyers ✭✭✭
    @jang198 - I looked up the device earlier and it said it was CDMA only, and that the SIM card is used for LTE towers only. However, the source may be wrong and it may have GSM capabilities. But if it does, you'd most likely have to go through Sprint to unlock it - I don't think FreedomPop can do that on their end.

Also, to tag me directly, write @JJFreedom. - this way I will know when you are talking to me.
  • musiquemusique Posts: 1FreedomPop Newbie
    Hi, any idea when will the global sim be available? Don't see myself carrying the hotspot device like an idiot abroad, rather have the sim. Thanks in advance
  • SEAN OGORMANSEAN OGORMAN Posts: 37FreedomPop Newbie
    I haven't messed with it very long, but it appears that it should work. My phone sees T-Mobile and AT&T networks, but hasn't connected to them yet. My APN settings are for 3 UK, I haven't tried the ones suggested by Eddie yet.

Disclaimer: My Moto E is an ex-Virgin Mobile model, not FreedomPop, but still an XT1526.
    @musique Global SIM became available a little over a week ago, but it sold out almost immediately. Hopefully it should be available again soon.

However right now there are really 3 alternative options:
    1. Order a Hotspot and take the SIM out (That would be $30 extra, but at least you could get a SIM) -- Not recommending this, its just a possibility.
    2. If you have a UK address of some sort, you could order one there.
    3. Use a FreedomPop US Phone (that runs on Sprint) and use it while under Wi-Fi

• hzchenhzchen Posts: 5FreedomPop Newbie
    Remember, this GSM SIM is UK-Based, thus it is an international SIM card, can be accepted by a Sprint-based phone.

Here is how to use Freedompop GSM SSIM card with Sprint/Boost/Freedompop moto E XT1526:
    1. set airplane mode and remove any sim card from the phone;
    2. dial *#*#4636#*#*, -- phone information -- right top menu -- select radio band -- "USA Band"; set preferred network type as "LTE/GSM/CDMA auto (PRL)" on the same page; then exist;
    3. Android system Settings--wireless & networks -- More -- Mobile network, Network mode set as "automatic";
    4. Insert the FP GSM SIM card, turn off airplane mode;
    5. Wait the phone searching for cellular network, you might want to check the "GSM/UMTS settings" in (Android system Settings--wireless & networks -- More -- Mobile network), set "Select Network" as automatic, tick the "Allow GSM data", Add a APN in the "Access Point Names" (See the FP help page for how to add this "freedompop.foggmobile.com" APN).
    6. After all above, you can accelerate the cellular searching process by clicking the "select operator automatically" in the "Network Operators".
    7. If you try click the "select operator automatically" in Step 6 for several times and have no luck to connect your phone to the "Freedompop" GSM cellular, then, remove your FP GSM SIM card from the phone for a while and then insert it back, or you can repeat the process above before you insert it back into the phone.

Remember how to use the XT1526 Moto E back to your Sprint-based service (such as Freedompop, Ringplus, Boost, Ting, Virgin, Sprint prepaid etc.): dial *#*#4636#*#*, -- phone information -- right top menu -- select radio band -- "PCS", set preferred network type as "LTE/CDMA auto (PRL)" .

Enjoy!
    Remember, this GSM SIM is UK-Based, thus it is an international SIM card, can be accepted by a Sprint-based phone.

Here is how to use Freedompop GSM SSIM card with Sprint/Boost/Freedompop moto E XT1526:
    2. dial *#*#4636#*#*, -- phone information -- right top menu -- select radio band -- "USA Band"; set preferred network type as "LTE/GSM/CDMA auto (PRL)" on the same page; then exist;
    3. Android system Settings--wireless & networks -- More -- Mobile network, Network mode set as "automatic";
    5. Wait the phone searching for cellular network, you might want to check the "GSM/UMTS settings" in (Android system Settings--wireless & networks -- More -- Mobile network), set "Select Network" as automatic, tick the "Allow GSM data", Add a APN in the "Access Point Names" (See the FP help page for how to add this "freedompop.foggmobile.com" APN).
    6. After all above, you can accelerate the cellular searching process by clicking the "select operator automatically" in the "Network Operators".
    7. If you try click the "select operator automatically" in Step 6 for several times and have no luck to connect your phone to the "Freedompop" GSM cellular, then, remove your FP GSM SIM card from the phone for a while and then insert it back, or you can repeat the process above before you insert it back into the phone.

Remember how to use the XT1526 Moto E back to your Sprint-based service (such as Freedompop, Ringplus, Boost, Ting, Virgin, Sprint prepaid etc.): dial *#*#4636#*#*, -- phone information -- right top menu -- select radio band -- "PCS", set preferred network type as "LTE/CDMA auto (PRL)" .

Enjoy!

Enjoy!
  • WUYI  LIWUYI LI Posts: 45FreedomPop Newbie
    Thanks @hzchen My phone is an Nexus 6 and it could get Freedompop signal and APN setting automatically from the SIM card. The VOIP phone call works when the device connects to my home WIFI. However, the data doesn't work.
  • abcabc Posts: 189FreedomPop Newbie
    it sounds good
  • Orange metalOrange metal Posts: 21FreedomPop Newbie
    WUYI LI said:

Thanks @hzchen My phone is an Nexus 6 and it could get Freedompop signal and APN setting automatically from the SIM card. The VOIP phone call works when the device connects to my home WIFI. However, the data doesn't work.

That's because the N6 is an unlocked phone from the get-go. Sprint had no said in the matter. Google probably wouldn't let them lock the GSM side down since it's a Nexus. This is half of the reason why people had/have trouble activating Nexus 6 originally bought from T-Mobile on Sprint and Sprint MVNO.
  • thomasrthomasr Posts: 3FreedomPop Newbie
    @hzchen This will work with an brand new (never activated with Sprint) Sprint Prepaid phone?
  • thomasrthomasr Posts: 3FreedomPop Newbie
    hzchen said:

Enjoy!

So this will work with a new (never activated) Sprint Prepaid Moto E prepaid phone?

• Thuy NguyenThuy Nguyen Posts: 29FreedomPop Newbie
    sometimes my xt1526 will not connect to the cellular network after turning on the phone and I've found it helpful to setup the FreedomPop app with WIFI and then turn off WIFI and toggle the location settings to "high" mode (so it will try to use the celluar network to find the current location) from the pull-down menu. It usually connects within 30 seconds, if not, toggle location off and on again. On android, I use the pull-down menu to toggle location rather than the settings menu or widgets.

• myfreedompopmyfreedompop Posts: 3FreedomPop Newbie
    I have an XT1526 Sprint Moto E phone.... and for some reason, when I'm trying to activate it on Freedompop, I get a note saying this is not a Sprint phone. Whats up?

https://www.freedompop.com/nonsprint

We're experiencing an issue with your provided device ID.
    To complete your activation, please call 800-671-5017.
    Click here to try again