**Reminder** When you sign up for FreedomPop service we often offer a free trial experience for one of our plans or add-on services. Upon the end of your Trial, you will incur the regular charge for that plan or service. Please take a look at our Community post for more information regarding your recent purchase and what to expect: http://bit.ly/2xFTGWY

Saving Battery on FreedomPop Phone

Florenico FloresFlorenico Flores Posts: 43FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Expert

Comments

• FreedomPopFreedomPop Posts: 192 admin
    Share your tips and tricks on how to save battery power on your Freedom Phone
  • Top viewed post so far! @Florenico keep up the good work!
  • Erin ShellyErin Shelly Posts: 5FreedomPop Newbie
    Followed the link, read the doc. Downloaded App Quarantine, went through and checked apps to sequester, but the phone tells me the app requires root access to complete the process, which it doesn't have, so it doesn't work. I have read elsewhere that the HTC EVO Design was coming to people already rooted, evidently the HTC EVO 4G does not... ??
  • gabriel barbagabriel barba Posts: 8FreedomPop Newbie
    I am also getting the "Failed to get root access! You need to have a rooted device and allow Superuser privileges to this app!" message for the App Quarantine.

I found a possible solution here: http://ramdroid.wordpress.com/2012/07/06/app-quarantine-issues-with-root-access-on-your-new-android-4-0-rom/

I tried installing Super User and Supersu, but both report errors about su binary not found.

Any suggestions for getting passed this error?

Thanks.
  • stephen foleystephen foley Posts: 0FreedomPop Newbie
    Have the same problem as Erin; used the app mgmt to disable some of the items, which appears to have increased my battery life, but I believe that my battery is in pretty poor shape anyhow.
  • 3Simplex3Simplex Posts: 0FreedomPop Newbie
    I don't know this for sure because my device died this morning a week after I received it. It's possible your evo4g is already permanently rooted and simply installing Superuser or SuperSU from the market may access that root privilege. I would ask them if its okay first otherwise you could violate their ToS.
  • M.A. II LopezM.A. II Lopez Posts: 1,163FreedomPop Master, FreedomPop Expert ✭✭✭
    The Evo desing 4g is rooted, but it has no superuser binaries. You need to sideload superuser to complete the rooting process.
    On this webpage you can find the process and a few roms. I would suggest for those with the Evo Design 4g visit, http://androidforums.com/evo-design-all-things-root/777034-freedompop-htc-evo-design.html

particularly comment #36 by dawithers. His comment #36 will give you instructions on how to install superuser. I myself have completed the process.

If you feel courageous you can then go to,

http://androidforums.com/evo-design-all-things-root/

there you fill find more discussion around the Evo, including roms. I myself is experimenting with the "blue kingdom" rom to see how it works. I will post my results later.
  • M.A. II LopezM.A. II Lopez Posts: 1,163FreedomPop Master, FreedomPop Expert ✭✭✭
    Once you download superuser you will get past that particular problem. It will also depend on how many apps you have installed in your phone and what your intentions are. But I would download the :Greenifyi" app instead, as it lets you hibernate your apps until u need them.

To check if you are rooted use Root Checker by joeykrim, and to check superuser, SU checker by Benjamin Wulfert. all three apps are free and the playstore.
  • LukeLuke Posts: 318FreedomPop Newbie

Followed the link, read the doc. Downloaded App Quarantine, went through and checked apps to sequester, but the phone tells me the app requires root access to complete the process, which it doesn't have, so it doesn't work. I have read elsewhere that the HTC EVO Design was coming to people already rooted, evidently the HTC EVO 4G does not... ??

they are both rooted with freedompop's version of android.

Wroof!
  • Erin ShellyErin Shelly Posts: 5FreedomPop Newbie
    @3Simplex--thanks for the tip, although I already tried one of those (don't remember which) and it told me it couldn't install for some reason related to the phone not being rooted. So I don't know :)
    Erin!!! Read my post on this page, the first one!
  • kalastaakalastaa Posts: 0FreedomPop Newbie
    Just buy the bigger (3500) battery. Its worth it. Amazon sells it for 8 bucks. Your phone won't fit regular cases anymore, but at least it will work for more than 4 hours!
    Whats the charge lasting you with that battery kalastaa?
  • kalastaakalastaa Posts: 0FreedomPop Newbie
    @miguel lopez It's lasting me about 8 or so hours with moderate use. To get even more juice, I turn off updates and GPS. Its still not great but its better than the four I was getting before. Once FP finally updates the messages app, it should get even better. Before the extended battery, I couldn't use the phone at all!
    Woah excellent. I might just get one as a spare since I already purchased a skin cover for my Design 4g.
  • hankjrodhankjrod Posts: 368FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Expert ✭✭✭
    As I mentioned on another thread (miguel lopez "What apps do you have"), I use airplane mode optimizer (to change what turning on airplane mode does) and wifi pilot ( which enables and disables cellular based on pre-entered wifi networks). This can increase battery drastically and once set up, it works on its own.
    Hank WIFI Assistant I belive does the same thing, and also a freebee from the playstore.
    I also just got my invite to Operamax which is supposed to safe you on data by compressing it before sending and receiving. It's free, but it is a beta right now with possible charge later on. Here is the link to playstore.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.opera.max
  • yifei wuyifei wu Posts: 0FreedomPop Newbie
    Still waiting for that messaging app update.
  • hankjrodhankjrod Posts: 368FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Expert ✭✭✭
    @miguel lopez I couldn't find wifi assistant (at least not one that did anything useful) Did you mean wifi matic? If not, could you post a link. Wifi pilot is the only app I could find that automatically enabled and disabled airplane mode (turn off cellular). The one I posted was created by a Republic Wireless user. If you know of another app that does the same I would like to take a look at it to see if it has more features.
    My bad, I posted just half the name, and as reported on AndroidPolice.com, which by t he way is a good site to keep your eyes on. Anyway here is the link, its actually called WiFiHotspot on/off manager. You will see the confusion when you see the icon picture displayed on the site.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.avg.wifiassist
This discussion has been closed.