**Reminder** When you sign up for FreedomPop service we often offer a free trial experience for one of our plans or add-on services. Upon the end of your Trial, you will incur the regular charge for that plan or service. Please take a look at our Community post for more information regarding your recent purchase and what to expect: http://bit.ly/2xFTGWY

Sprint Blocking Loophole That Allows New Prepaid Phones on MVNOs

z003z003 Posts: 73FreedomPop Newbie
This is going to cripple all sprint-based mvnos. What the **** is sprint thinking?? They seem hellbent on destroying sprint mvnos

http://www.prepaidphonenews.com/2016/03/sprint-blocking-loophole-that-allowed.html

Effective April 17, 2016, Sprint will no longer allow new, never activated Boost Mobile, Virgin Mobile or Sprint Prepaid phones to be activated on Sprint MVNOs...unless said phone has been used at least 12 months on the Sprint prepaid brand it was sold for.

Comments

• njfulwider5njfulwider5 Posts: 10,413FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Master, Test Role, FreedomPop Expert, FreedomFan, Android Master , FP Flyer ✭✭✭✭✭
    @z003
    Not really that big of a Problem. The success rate was around 30% and that is being nice. I have helped allot of members Bring other phones over and almost everytime we tried a brand new device, we find that you have to replace the Sim anyways. Or no matter what we did, they just wouldn't activate.

The device was never turned on, or activated on the MNVO and sometimes would still be packaged.

You also find that the 12 month rule is not only Sprints, but the MNVO's also. Some of them like Virgin Mobile are pretty strict about it before Sprint came out with the same rule.

Great Tips and Trick, User Guides and How to's in my Signature-(Take a Peek)

Hope you find any post I have created helpful. Please look for my How to-s(Downgrading-100% Free) and (How to use the FreedomPop Community), or my Guides on FreedomPop Devices(Phones) and (Hotspots). Here is one on (FreedomPop Plans). Here is one on all (FreedomPop Apps). He is one on(Traveling with your GSM Global Sim?) or Common Question about the (GSM Global Sim). You can PM me anytime by clicking this link here njfulwider5. Than click the BUTTON with the (Small Envelope), to left of the word (MESSAGE). I will do my best help. Welcome to FreedomPop

• z003z003 Posts: 73FreedomPop Newbie
    Won't this change effect the BYOD program? It seems like Sprint is trying hard to 'discourage' people from using sprint mvnos by making it very difficult for people to find a phone that actually meets the criteria
  • njfulwider5njfulwider5 Posts: 10,413FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Master, Test Role, FreedomPop Expert, FreedomFan, Android Master , FP Flyer ✭✭✭✭✭
    @z003
    Only if you are planning to purchase a phone from Virgin mobile or any other MNVO and try to BYOD. All other Sprint phone will just BYOD like it has always been. This only affect Prep-Paid phones purchased from other MNVO like Ting or VM.

Example, I purchased a Brand new in the Box Virgin Mobile ZTE. Never been activated or used.

Normally, as long as you never activated the phone with VM, you could get the MEID to clear on Freedompop/Ting or any other Sprint MNVO offering BYOD.

They just enforced a rule that most MNVO's already had, they just added you could no longer activate the Brand new one on another MNVO

Great Tips and Trick, User Guides and How to's in my Signature-(Take a Peek)

Hope you find any post I have created helpful. Please look for my How to-s(Downgrading-100% Free) and (How to use the FreedomPop Community), or my Guides on FreedomPop Devices(Phones) and (Hotspots). Here is one on (FreedomPop Plans). Here is one on all (FreedomPop Apps). He is one on(Traveling with your GSM Global Sim?) or Common Question about the (GSM Global Sim). You can PM me anytime by clicking this link here njfulwider5. Than click the BUTTON with the (Small Envelope), to left of the word (MESSAGE). I will do my best help. Welcome to FreedomPop

• SEAN OGORMANSEAN OGORMAN Posts: 37FreedomPop Newbie
    I don't blame them. Sprint sells Virgin/Boost phones at a subsidized rate to try and get your business from the $35 or $50 or whatever rate plan. If they sell a phone at, say, a $40 loss, and then you activate it on FreedomPop or RingPlus or whoever, they'll never make that money back.