FreedomPop SIP settings

Krasimir PanchevKrasimir Panchev FreedomPop Newbie Posts: 23
edited April 2016 in Using Your Devices #1
Hi there,
I have spent a week to get into the details of how to setup a third party sip client to work with Freedompop and finally managed to get it working. The reason for that is that I already have CSipSimple installed on my phone to connect to my own Asterisk PBX. I did not want to search and configure another sip client as I like CSipSimple. The second reason is that Freedompop are sending two sim cards now and if you don't have two phones (or a dual sim one) you need to swap sims constantly... And third reason, as it is sip service, I wanted to set my home PBX to use it as a trunk.
First of all, thanks to other people posting where to get the username and password and registry for the sip server.
The tricky part is that even if you set your client with the correct details, it will register, will accept calls but will not dial out. The reason for this is that the server expects a number to be formatted as [email protected], but most people dial 0nnnnnnnnnn or 0044nnnnnnnnnn for the number. The solution is to create a rewrite rule to replace a 0 with +44 and a 00 with +. For CSipSimple this is done in Settings->Filters. In Asterisk it is done with a dial number manipulation rules for the trunk:
prepend prefix "match pattern"
+44 0 XX.
+44 0044 XX.
As for the trunk settings I use the following:

PEER Details:
videosupport=no
username="your username"
type=peer
transport=tcp
secret="your password"
qualify=yes
nat=yes
insecure=port,invite
host=fp.layered.net
fromuser="your username"
fromdomain=fp.layered.net
disallowed_methods=UPDATE
directmedia=no
context=from-pstn
canreinvite=no
authuser="your username"

USER Details:
type=peer
transport=tcp
srvlookup=yes
secret="your password"
qualify=no
nat=yes
insecure=port,invite
dtmfmode=info
context=from-pstn
canreinvite=no
Registration string:
"your username":"your password"@fp.layered.net/

I hope that this will help others like me.
Post edited by Krasimir Panchev on

Comments

• Fabrizio MartellucciFabrizio Martellucci FreedomPop Newbie, UK Pro Posts: 657 ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks ever so much, I've bookmarked it so that I can refer to it if someone is going to be in the same predicament.
    Billing cycle 7th
  • Krasimir PanchevKrasimir Panchev FreedomPop Newbie Posts: 23
    Further to my first post, I have managed to get SMS messaging working on CSipSimple. What is needed is just a small modification of the dialing filter, instead of replacing 00 with + and 0 with +44, just get rid of the '+' sign and replace 00 with empty string and 0 with 44 only. After that CSipSimple can send messages. Still working on the receive part, will update here when I figure it out.
  • Stephen ChipchaseStephen Chipchase FreedomPop Newbie Posts: 58 ✭✭
    Have you got any further along with messaging? I managed to get voice calls working on a softphone on my Windows PC, Zoiper on my iPhone and with my Samsung SIP deskphone but haven't been able to get messaging to work.
    My comments and thoughts are my own opinion.
    I do not work for FreedomPop................ But if they're hiring I'll join B)

• Krasimir PanchevKrasimir Panchev FreedomPop Newbie Posts: 23

Have you got any further along with messaging? I managed to get voice calls working on a softphone on my Windows PC, Zoiper on my iPhone and with my Samsung SIP deskphone but haven't been able to get messaging to work.

Not yet, I have been quite busy at work lately and did not have time to look into the receiving mechanism. I think we need to do some traffic monitoring of the FP messaging app to find out what exactly is being sent and received, but I will not be able to do this in the next couple of months due to workload. If you have any ideas or spare time to look into it, I could help test.
  • djphilosophydjphilosophy FreedomPop Newbie Posts: 31
    For the UK service, what's the format of "username"? Is it the email associated with your account, the FP phone number of your account (and if so in what format), or a separately chosen username altogether?

I ask because I'm looking at setting up SIP with the US Global GSM SIM and using the info here as a starting point. However, using my email caused an error in the SIP client because it was ending up with two '@' symbols for the login.
  • Albena PanchevaAlbena Pancheva FreedomPop Newbie Posts: 6
    The format for the username is phonenumber_simnumber where the phone number is 4474xxxxxxx and the sum number is 8944200xxxxxxxxxx.
    All of this can be taken from the database of the FP app (you have to look there anyway to get the password)
  • djphilosophydjphilosophy FreedomPop Newbie Posts: 31
    Thanks, Albena. Got it working with Android's built-in SIP client to receive calls (all I wanted to do).
  • Stephen ChipchaseStephen Chipchase FreedomPop Newbie Posts: 58 ✭✭
    From what I can gather, the username is made up of the phone number in international format without the + or 00 (i.e. 447413 or 1325) and the ICCID from the SIM (i.e. 89442001030)

Say the phone number is 07413000000 and the ICCID printed on the SIM or shown in your account section on the FP site is 89440000000000020
    Your username would be [email protected] - the password I have no clue about, I've set the FreedomPop account password to the same value for 3 accounts and each time when recovering the password from my android device it shows the SIP password to be different (which leads me to think it's not simply a salted/hashed version of your account password).

I have however noticed with some accounts I've noticed that on the UK SIM it has an ICCID of 8944200xxxxx and in the recovered username/data from my android device it has been linked to a different ICCID to the one printed on the SIM starting 89345 (although it has 34 in it I don't think it's a Spanish ICCID as my Spanish Lebara SIM has an ICCID starting 34570 - but I think in Spain Lebara is a MNVO also)
    My comments and thoughts are my own opinion.
    I do not work for FreedomPop................ But if they're hiring I'll join B)

• drgeoffdrgeoff FreedomPop Newbie Posts: 175 ✭✭✭
    Since some time last March I've been using the SIP details from a FP SIM to successfully make outgoing calls from my FreePBX Asterisk box. The SIM itself is in a USB 3G dongle which is used occasionally as the internet connection on a portable router.

I had never configured FreePBX to receive calls to the FP number but attempted to do that yesterday and spent several hours trying almost all imaginable variations of the settings without success. Thought I had it cracked when I remembered that the nerdvittles IncrediblePBX version I run has iptables configured to keep most things out, but still incoming was not working. So eventually I fired up tcpdump with a filter to show SIP invite messages on the ethernet port.

First thing I noticed was the number of phishing SIP invites. Thankfully those don't get any further on a properly locked down system. But there were no invites corresponding to my ringing of the FP number.

At that point it occurred to me that the SIM had never made a call through the FP app. (It had only been in a phone long enough to extract the SIP credentials.) I removed the FP SIM that resides in my Android phone and replaced it with the 'Asterisk' one. Did the 'sync' routine to get the new number to show in the 'your number' message. Dialled the SIM's own number and bingo! SIP invite messages and incoming call in Asterisk.

Put the usual SIM back in the phone, did the sync again and called in to Asterisk again. All working as expected.

One addition to the settings given above. I tried to set up an Incoming Route in the FreePBX GUI to match on the DID of the FP SIM. Tried the +4474..., 4474.., 074... versions without success. What did work was to put the 4474... number in the DID box on the Incoming Route page and add the same number on the end of fp.layered.net/ in the register string on the Trunks page.
  • willy cardosowilly cardoso FreedomPop Newbie Posts: 1
    any setting for zoiper on pc?
  • GrantPSGrantPS FreedomPop Newbie Posts: 2
    OK, so I've installed CSIPSimple, added my FreedomPop account (using the details extracted from the FreedomPop app database that was installed, used and promptly removed again). It registers fine. It can be used to make outgoing calls fine... but won't show me when an incoming call is happening. The person calling me hears ringing but my CSIPSimple doesn't ring at all.

Any ideas on what's going on?
  • sijeffreysijeffrey FreedomPop Newbie Posts: 7
    I was just wondering if anyone got the SMS side working without the FP app?
  • AlejandraGAlejandraG FreedomPop Newbie Posts: 4,176 admin
    sijeffrey said:

The FreedomPop App is essential for our services to work as a VOIP service that provides service through a Voice over IP connection. This means that we use the Internet to connect your calls, communicate texts and allow you access to the Web.
  • SolomonSolomon FreedomPop Newbie Posts: 207

sijeffrey said:

The FreedomPop App is essential for our services to work as a VOIP service that provides service through a Voice over IP connection. This means that we use the Internet to connect your calls, communicate texts and allow you access to the Web.
    A reply from someone who should be working in politics.
  • vmailvmail FreedomPop Newbie Posts: 21
    Had a play with the CSIPSimple app, extracted the credentials (different format to above) from the iPhone app (My SIM only works in the iPhone 4 and not my Samsung S4) which appears to be based on the Linphone app. Outgoing calls works, and like above incoming are not working. It would be nice to use a third party app because the Android freedompop app hijacks the dialer.
  • vmailvmail FreedomPop Newbie Posts: 21
    Ok, got incoming calls to work using CSIPSimple by switching from Premium Voice to App in the settings of the freedompop iPhone app. I don't think I'm bothered about SMS.
    vmail said:

Had a play with the CSIPSimple app, extracted the credentials (different format to above) from the iPhone app (My SIM only works in the iPhone 4 and not my Samsung S4) which appears to be based on the Linphone app. Outgoing calls works, and like above incoming are not working. It would be nice to use a third party app because the Android freedompop app hijacks the dialer.

vmail said:

Ok, got incoming calls to work using CSIPSimple by switching from Premium Voice to App in the settings of the freedompop iPhone app. I don't think I'm bothered about SMS.

We have sent you a private message with instructions, please make sure to review your inbox.
  • Daniel Johnson-MorrisDaniel Johnson-Morris FreedomPop Newbie Posts: 2
    Can someone from admin inbox me with details for the SIP connection/.

Can you please provide us more information of the issue you have related to SIP connection?
  • sijeffreysijeffrey FreedomPop Newbie Posts: 7

I got my SIP credentials using the instructions mentioned in this comment below.

The format for the username is phonenumber_simnumber where the phone number is 4474xxxxxxx and the sum number is 8944200xxxxxxxxxx.

All of this can be taken from the database of the FP app (you have to look there anyway to get the password)