**Reminder** When you sign up for FreedomPop service we often offer a free trial experience for one of our plans or add-on services. Upon the end of your Trial, you will incur the regular charge for that plan or service. Please take a look at our Community post for more information regarding your recent purchase and what to expect: http://bit.ly/2xFTGWY

Phone Call without Data

lmatlmat Posts: 3FreedomPop Newbie
My wife and I both have the "free 200" freedompop service. We signed up a month or two ago. She's using Samsung Galaxy S4 (stock), and I'm using HTC Desire 510 (rooted, cyanogenmod).

We look to make sure that our phone has a cellular network signal, and when we attempt to make a phone call without wifi and without mobile data, we receive an error that we don't have a data link. Sometimes the phone indicates that we're on "Sprint" or "LTE" or "3G"; it doesn't seem to matter. When we turn on a source of data, we are able to make phone calls. My wife noticed recently that she has a large amount of data used on her phone (about double what is offered on the plan), and we think it is because her phone calls are using data. All our friends think this is crazy, and urge us to get it sorted.

I think my problem looks similar to this conversation: https://forums.freedompop.com/discussion/3507/charged-on-data-for-using-the-call-function , but that conversation is imprecise.

Are you able to make a call without wifi and with Mobile Data turned off? If you have to have a data link, is the data link used to make a call? Let me know if I should provide more information.

Comments

• weanutweanut Posts: 309FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Expert ✭✭✭
    @lmat hi, you actually do need an active data connection to call or text with the freedompop app. freedompop is actually a voip-voice over internet protocol service, which does require data. there is no traditional 2g cellular service except for on premium voice, which can only be used on outgoing calls and is a paid service. however, the data used for any calls or texts is refunded to your account. the thread you referenced is from a couple of years ago, when many of us long-timers were still figuring things out.

there are things that will use a lot of data, like if you don't have update on wifi only checked on google play. there are actually ways to get extra data free each month, which i take advantage of personally. there is a group here called freedom friends https://forums.freedompop.com/group/5-get-up-to-1-5gb-extra-every-month-all-100-free-through-freedom-friends as well as on facebook https://facebook.com/groups/freedomconnect/

if you feel your data usage is more than it should be, please put up a new post requesting help for an account issue. a freedompop administrator will reply and help you straighten things out.
  • Steve FatulaSteve Fatula Posts: 18FreedomPop Newbie
    All calls on FP use data. The distinction is this - let's say your plan has 200MB data, and. 200 minutes left. And you make a 10 minute call that uses 10MB. That data does not count again your 200MB remaining as it was a call, but, it still did require data to make. Does that make more sense?

So, calls do require data or wifi, but, they do not count against your data usage. Calls on FP are VOIP, not regular cellular calls like other services.
    Steve, Freedom Spot MiFi 500 LTE, iPhone 5 BYOD
  • lmatlmat Posts: 3FreedomPop Newbie
    edited April 2016 #4
    Wow, I had a number of ideas in my head, but I never would have guessed that.

My next question was (but it sounds like I have an answer): How do I turn on mobile data, but continue to disallow all the apps on my phone from using internet connection, only allowing "minutes" to be used?

Based on the fact that Freedom Pop voice is VOIP, the best I can do is try to make sure the apps "behave themselves", turn them off, properly configure settings, etc.

Thank you both very much for your time and expertise!
  • JonMikelVJonMikelV Posts: 2FreedomPop Newbie
    Imat,

I'm in a similar situation where I need data enabled for calls, but NOT for apps (though in my case it's to avoid abuse of the data by smaller members of the family).

The only solution I've been able to come up with so far has been to install a firewall (such as the no-root ones seen at https://play.google.com/store/search?q=firewall&c=apps). These seem to work by creating a VPN connection (to the app on the phone, instead of an external server) which can then filter access by app. This allows me to let (FreedomPop) Messenger and Google Maps have access, but not Clash of Clans or Facebook.

The problem with this design is that if you need a VPN for other things (like secure access to your work) then your firewall VPN gets turned off while your work VPN is on.

To avoid THAT problem, you could look at rooting your phone and using a rooted firewall. These work differently in that they use direct iptables settings (similar to Linux firewalls) and do not rely on VPN. However, unless you're willing to potentially kill your phone or be denied acess to FreedomPop (I'm not sure about their policy on rooting) you might want to pretend this option doesn't exist...

There may be other non-VPN and non-root firewall options out there, but I don't have any experience with them yet. I keep hearing rumors that some security apps (such as AVAST https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.avast.android.mobilesecurity) do (or will) have a firewall in them, which might provide the best of both worlds, so that migth be worth looking into as well.

And for my needs, no matter how I set up a firewall I still need an app locker to control access to the firewall app so that non-adult users of the phone can't just turn it off without knowing the password. :-)
  • indutaurusindutaurus Posts: 5FreedomPop Newbie
    leo privacy is a good app! Just hard to remember all the locks! There is just a few things be nice when your using your phone it would be great if you had one code to unlock all your apps and keep them open until you are done! And a one touch lock back! And timed for when you put it down for a set amount of minutes to lock on it's own!!! and there is way to many offers! Thanks on my way to loving it tho!! PS and should be a small app not greedy! !!
    :# :# :#
  • AllAll Posts: 9FreedomPop Newbie
    I have the same problem, I cannot use the app without wifi on, even though the area should have mobile reception signal. I have mobile data on my account, but it doesn't work, anyone can help please? Thank you!
  • Creedtown182Creedtown182 Posts: 3FreedomPop Newbie
    > @All said:
    > I have the same problem, I cannot use the app without wifi on, even though the area should have mobile reception signal. I have mobile data on my account, but it doesn't work, anyone can help please? Thank you!

Did you set. fp.com.attz as your APN (access point name) in your mobile network settings?
  • AllAll Posts: 9FreedomPop Newbie
    Yes, but it requires some more fields: MCC field must be 3 digits, and another one which i don't know how.
  • Melinda_11Melinda_11 Posts: 1FreedomPop Newbie
    So in order to not miss incoming calls and texts from other people, data would have to be on all the time???
  • AlejandraGAlejandraG Posts: 5,164FreedomPop Newbie admin

So in order to not miss incoming calls and texts from other people, data would have to be on all the time???

That is correct.
This discussion has been closed.