**Reminder** When you sign up for FreedomPop service we often offer a free trial experience for one of our plans or add-on services. Upon the end of your Trial, you will incur the regular charge for that plan or service. Please take a look at our Community post for more information regarding your recent purchase and what to expect: http://bit.ly/2xFTGWY

How to use Google Voice with your FreedomPop phone

14567810»

Comments

• douglas beerdouglas beer Posts: 91FreedomPop Newbie
    This is exactly how I use my FP Galaxy S4 with Hangouts. It works so beautifully I tell everyone I know about it.
  • dimusdimus Posts: 126FreedomPop Newbie
    I have strange problem with Google Hangouts and similar app Text Now on my two different FP phone: ZTE Force and LG Optimus.

When the phones are on Wi-Fi, no issue.

When the phones use FreedomPop data connection, no inbound calls accepted and no text messages received while the phone/app is in standby mode. If the app is in active mode, call accepted). Same apps work OK in T-mobile network.

Another problem (may be related): Text Free app https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.pinger.textfree.call&hl=en does not recognize network while preforming outgoing call and the call fails (network error).
  • limeylimey Posts: 674FreedomPop Newbie ✭✭✭
    There maybe some network funkiness going on, as I've also had a few FP calls that wouldn't hang-up in the last day or so. That said, I switched my FP phones to cellular & observed the same as you with incoming hangouts calls whilst the destination phone was asleep. Incoming FP calls seemed to ring OK.
  • djinksdjinks Posts: 1,270FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Expert ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2015 #230
    This thread may provide some insight and offers a possible solution:
    https://forums.freedompop.com/discussion/comment/54255/#Comment_54255
    I have used the app but it may have worked but my inbound call volume is low, so not that many data points.
    @djinks Thanks for that - I'm currently testing with the Non-Root version of the app mentioned & it seems to be working so far. Some longer periods of inactivity will be needed for proper proof.
    After a few days of testing, the non-root version of the above app does seem to almost completely resolve the problem of incoming Hangouts calls failing to ring on my FP devices when on cellular - with one partial exception - on my LG Optimus F3, I found that I needed to additionally use a wake-lock with the rooted version of the app and that after extended periods of inactivity, it still sometimes takes 2 incoming calls to ring. However, this may be down to the fact that I'm still running the old 15.xx.xxx.xxx version of the FP Messaging app on this unit (to allow call-blocking) - I suspect that the newer 16.xx.xxx.xxx and up versions of the Messaging app would probably remove this exception **.

(** slightly OT, but FP, please consider adding call blocking to the version 16 and up Messaging app/configuring it to play nicely with existing call-blocking apps.)
  • commandcommand Posts: 2FreedomPop Newbie
    I found a workaround. Go into the browser (generic, dolphin, etc) and go to google.com/voice Most browsers will show a keypad. If yours doesn't, install another browser. Use the menu button to bring up "Add to home page", and hit it. Touch that icon on the home screen, then enter the 10 digit number. Your phone will ring, and the other's phone will ring, and show your GV number.
  • Nicholas JankowskiNicholas Jankowski Posts: 23FreedomPop Newbie
    Anyone else getting constant GV app crashing after they pushed out the 10/13 app updates? (I'm on the Kyocera Hydro Icon). Was relying on the GV app waiting for a possible play services fix so hangouts would work without having to play games... so much for that.
  • James_in_UtahJames_in_Utah Posts: 244FreedomPop Newbie
    Why do you need the GV app on your phone? I just have Hangouts and the Hangouts dialer installed on my phone and it makes and receives calls and texts. My S4 came with Google Voice installed, I think, and I uninstalled it.
  • Ryan Radford 2Ryan Radford 2 Posts: 633FreedomPop Newbie ✭✭✭

Why do you need the GV app on your phone? I just have Hangouts and the Hangouts dialer installed on my phone and it makes and receives calls and texts. My S4 came with Google Voice installed, I think, and I uninstalled it.

Because hangouts, drive, play music, gmail, and YouTube crash on the hydro icon that he is using.

It's an issue with the latest version of Google play services that is causing it.
    Want a free lte sim? Message me and ill give you a credit card to purchase it!

Common issues related to FreedomPop Devices:
    https://forums.freedompop.com/discussion/10896/battery-issues-please-read-this#latest

If you are having trouble with the FreedomPop messaging app registering, always try uninstalling it and then reinstalling it. If that doesn't work download push notification fixer (no root) from the play store. make sure both intervals are set to 5 minutes and click apply.

I don't work for FreedomPop
  • Greg WozniakGreg Wozniak Posts: 1FreedomPop Newbie
    I'm using Samsung galaxy S3 and hangouts doesn't ring when it's called from another phone. I checked settings and all looks okay. any ideas?
  • djinksdjinks Posts: 1,270FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Expert ✭✭✭✭
    @Greg Wozniak
    In the Hangouts Dialer, select Menu (three horizontal bars icon in upper left), select Settings. Under Account Settings tap on the email address. That opens another level and you must check the Incoming Phone Calls option.
  • bukzinbukzin Posts: 39FreedomPop Newbie
    I see this is an 'old' thread. Are folks still using this call-back app with Google/Hangouts?

Are there any configuration/usage issues we need to be aware of?
  • rbooherrbooher Posts: 1FreedomPop Newbie
    Now all you have to do is install google voice. Select "do not use Google voice to make any calls" so you can still make calls with your Freedompop number.

Then install 'Hangouts Dialer" from the app store. Check that the dialer is logging into the google account that has the google voice number and then just use that dialer when you want to use Google.
  • Marshal AlieschMarshal Aliesch Posts: 12FreedomPop Newbie
    Is there a way to use the Google Voice callbacks app(Voice+) on the Play Store without the FP app taking over the dialer? I wanted to know if this would work with the Premium Voice service for making calls from Google Voice number when data coverage is unreliable. I don't want to pay for the Premium Voice service to find out that it does not work this way, as I only use my FP number for instances when I don't want to give away my Google Voice number, ie. Craigslist dealings or getting quotes on insurance and such without having to worry about trying to filter out spam and such from my main number.
  • Eileen DruzakEileen Druzak Posts: 6FreedomPop Newbie
    Do you find that you have enough data with the FP free plan to use GV/Hangouts?
  • SoccerSoccer Posts: 2FreedomPop Newbie
    I logged into GV and clicked to get a Voice number and I plug in my zip code, choose a GV number and I'm getting an error...There was an error with your request. Please try again.
    I keep trying, and even chose other GV available numbers, but get the same error. Any ideas?
  • lennstancialennstancia Posts: 1FreedomPop Newbie
    Hi all, I'm new with the FreedomPop and I have Google voice number already. I tried to forward the google voice number to ring to my freedompop, but I can't pass the forwarding step, when we have to put the 2 digit code when google voice call the number. Every time I put the 2 digit numbers, the google didn't recognized the number , always tell me to put the number. Any idea, o how to do it different way? thanks
  • darinfdarinf Posts: 1FreedomPop Newbie

Hi all, I'm new with the FreedomPop and I have Google voice number already. I tried to forward the google voice number to ring to my freedompop, but I can't pass the forwarding step, when we have to put the 2 digit code when google voice call the number. Every time I put the 2 digit numbers, the google didn't recognized the number , always tell me to put the number. Any idea, o how to do it different way? thanks

I am having the same problem. I even tried, as suggested, playing the tones back from my computer speakers, from headphones turned up loud, and from my other cell phone speaker. In all cases, Google Voice was not able to read the DTMF tones. I tried putting the speaker right up to the iPhone mic and tried putting the iPhone on speaker mode.

The GV verification seems like it doesn't hear anything.

Any ideas? Otherwise, I can't use GV with my FreedomPop iPhone.
  • rocwhiterocwhite Posts: 5FreedomPop Newbie
    edited April 16 #246
    Voice+ no longer works with the latest Google Voice app. Try GVoice Callback
    Post edited by rocwhite on
  • gVoiceSellergVoiceSeller Posts: 3FreedomPop Newbie
    Hello Friends, am unlimited Google Voice Number Seller. If you need order me please. Best Quality. Skype- shisirs1
  • Douglas MorrillDouglas Morrill Posts: 40FreedomPop Newbie
    If I use Hangouts or Google Voice the Freedompop App stops working, I have to uninstall the FP app and reinstall it.
  • Daniel KronengoldDaniel Kronengold Posts: 12FreedomPop Newbie
    Is there a way to get the IPhone Google Voice app to make its calls through FP, rather than the native dialer (which doesn’t put the call through)? That would be really helpful!

• Daniel KronengoldDaniel Kronengold Posts: 12FreedomPop Newbie
    Hi everybody, it looks like this thread isn’t so active anymore, so I’m wondering if a lot of you people have given up on using FP with GV. Anyway, I am still using Google Voice along with my FreedomPop Phone (really Sim). I now have an iPhone 6 with a fp sim inserted. The best way to conserve data from calls is by using the fp app, but I only want my GV number to display on the other guy’s caller ID (NOT my FP number)!
    So—-
    1) Is there a way to hack into the FP app and change the number sent to the receiver’s caller ID (and set that as my GV number)? This way I could just make calls from within the FP app, and the person I’m calling would think I’m calling from my GV number. (I think the original FP apps actually let you do this from within the settings on App itself, but they removed it from settings in later versions.)

2) The Google Voice IPhone App now uses forwarding numbers (rather than “Click to call” callback). These numbers allow the call to show the GV number to the individual receiving the call. While the app shows me the forwarding number in a mini window (which is neat because I can then get it into my short term memory and go to the FP app to call it myself) this process is clunky. I can’t even cut-and-paste the forwarding number. As things stand, if I then press “Call” within the GV app, the call is forwarded to the native dialer, and a voice message is heard saying this number is not authorized to be dialed from this phone line. Is there a way to make the GV app forward it’s number to the FP app rather than the native IOS dialer ?

3) Is there a way to at least anonymise my phone so no number at all will be shown on the receiving individual’s caller ID?

And thank you in advance for your help