**Reminder** When you sign up for FreedomPop service we often offer a free trial experience for one of our plans or add-on services. Upon the end of your Trial, you will incur the regular charge for that plan or service. Please take a look at our Community post for more information regarding your recent purchase and what to expect: http://bit.ly/2xFTGWY

How to use Google Voice with your FreedomPop phone

Comments

• M.A. II LopezM.A. II Lopez Posts: 1,163FreedomPop Master, FreedomPop Expert ✭✭✭
    @Scott Orr‌ I see "Hangouts" has received some upgrades recently, how is that looking for your folks to keep your work-arounds!
  • Adolfo GalvanAdolfo Galvan Posts: 719FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Master, Test Role, FreedomPop Expert, FP Flyer ✭✭✭✭

@Scott Orr‌ I see "Hangouts" has received some upgrades recently, how is that looking for your folks to keep your work-arounds!

Minor update. The work-arounds will work until next month so I hope they get the integrated calling on it ASAP. It is not looking good at this moment.
  • Chee ChuaChee Chua Posts: 1FreedomPop Newbie
    What are the settings to allow google voice / freedom pop message for GV to work?
    I used "Ask every time" and the message blink and close when making outgoing call.
    It is making calls using my freedompop number
  • comintelcomintel Posts: 310FreedomPop Newbie ✭✭✭

Minor update. The work-arounds will work until next month so I hope they get the integrated calling on it ASAP. It is not looking good at this moment.
    Actually the outlook for Hangouts is great! A major upgrade is imminent.

They are just waiting for the 6 month notification period they had to give late last year of changes before rolling out the comprehensive new version of Hangouts that will have all of the features in the IOS version of Hangouts and more.

They simply could not make these changes right away on the Android platform because, as good stewards of that platform, they had to give 6 months notice to third party developers that relied on the old API's that needed to be deprecated to allow Hangouts to deliver a fully-integrated offering.

It will be delivered once that notice period expires in a few weeks.

• Adolfo GalvanAdolfo Galvan Posts: 719FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Master, Test Role, FreedomPop Expert, FP Flyer ✭✭✭✭
    comintel said:

Actually the outlook for Hangouts is great! A major upgrade is imminent.

They are just waiting for the 6 month notification period they had to give late last year of changes before rolling out the comprehensive new version of Hangouts that will have all of the features in the IOS version of Hangouts and more.

They simply could not make these changes right away on the Android platform because, as good stewards of that platform, they had to give 6 months notice to third party developers that relied on the old API's that needed to be deprecated to allow Hangouts to deliver a fully-integrated offering.

It will be delivered once that notice period expires in a few weeks.

I hope you are right. The iOS version works great. I just seems unlikely with an update now, that a major one will be released within one month.
  • Scott OrrScott Orr Posts: 0FreedomPop Newbie

I hope you are right. The iOS version works great. I just seems unlikely with an update now, that a major one will be released within one month.

So now that freedompop works with Sprint iPhones, if Google doesn't fix GV for Android by May 15, could I just get an iPhone? The iPhone would have the freedompop number (that I never use) but I'd set up Hangouts with my GV number and use Hangouts for everything (calling and texting).

Am I understanding iOS Hangouts correctly here? Could I use this setup to call and text to other peoples' phones from my GV number? Or do they have to have Hangouts too and my messages/calls only work within the app?
    @Adolf - Can you clarify Hangouts on iOS for me please? If GV doesn't figure out something for Android by May 15, I would consider getting an iPhone.

If I had an iPhone with a freedompop number, could I use Hangouts connected with my GV phone number exclusively for outgoing calls and texts? Or does Hangouts only call and text within Hangouts, meaning the other person must have that app too to receive anything from me?
    Can anyone elaborate on the iOS version of Hangouts? Does it work just like Talkatone or GrooveIP for Android? Meaning when you call/text somebody, they see your google voice number?
  • comintelcomintel Posts: 310FreedomPop Newbie ✭✭✭
    Scott Orr said:

Can anyone elaborate on the iOS version of Hangouts? Does it work just like Talkatone or GrooveIP for Android? Meaning when you call/text somebody, they see your google voice number?

Yes that is correct - they see your Google Voice number. It works great. Also free calling to all numbers in the U.S. and Canada.

I am positive that this will be extended to the Android version shortly - they just had to give GrooveIP and TalkaTone 6 months notice on Android, that's all.

No way would they leave IOS with a permanent advantage over Android in a key product.

comintel said:

Scott Orr said:

Yes that is correct - they see your Google Voice number. It works great.

I am positive that this will be extended to the Android version shortly - they just had to give GrooveIP and TalkaTone 6 months notice on Android, that's all.

No way would they leave IOS with a permanent advantage over Android in a key product.

Thanks for the info! I hope you're right on the update for Android. Google is running out of time for those of us who use a third party app and GV as their primary phone number. I've been pretty happy with my current setup but I'm glad to know that I have a backup in iOS Hangouts, even if it means dropping some money up front on an iPhone...
    I 2nd @comintel; the iOS version works great and it uses your Google Voice number. SMS is NOT integrated like in the Android version, nor is GV texting, so you will still need the GV app for iOS. I would assume that is the next step for both versions.
    Here is a hack that someone found and seems to work on my phone. You have to use Google Hangouts on a computer though, then, in Hangouts on the phone, pick up the ongoing call. It is a kludge and a pain, but it does show the current version can support calls, even it is half-baked (or maybe a quarter-baked).

Source: http://phandroid.com/2014/05/05/hangouts-hack-brings-voip-calling/
  • Rynne CowhamRynne Cowham Posts: 79FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Expert
    There are several apps for using your GV number on iOS. There's Hangouts, of course, but there are also GV itself, something called "GV Phone" and another called "Mo+". These should all display your GV number, not your FreedomPop one.

I have found in practice that while Mo+ is the most robust, it is also the most time-delayed. The plain vanilla GV itself seems to work best for me. Now that Talkatone doesn't go through GV anymore you have to select a new exclusively Talkatone number. And you need to buy credits to use Talkatone for voice calls, but these are fairly cheap at 0.99 per batch if you don't use talk much.

Hope that's helpful ...
  • Rynne CowhamRynne Cowham Posts: 79FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Expert
    edited May 2014 #40
    Here's what the plain GV looks like on iOS:

There are several apps for using your GV number on iOS. There's Hangouts, of course, but there are also GV itself, something called "GV Phone" and another called "Mo+". These should all display your GV number, not your FreedomPop one.

I have found in practice that while Mo+ is the most robust, it is also the most time-delayed. The plain vanilla GV itself seems to work best for me. Now that Talkatone doesn't go through GV anymore you have to select a new exclusively Talkatone number. And you need to buy credits to use Talkatone for voice calls, but these are fairly cheap at 0.99 per batch if you don't use talk much.

Hope that's helpful ...

This is really helpful info to those that have iOS. If I where you, I would put both of these post in a new thread so that they are not lost in this one, since this one is mainly about Android.

I 2nd the GV app on iOS. All the other apps will not work after next week. Hangouts to make calls with GV to me is the best. I did notice though that if you try to use the dialer in Hangouts, Google would charge 2¢/min though. They must be saved as a contact. I can not speak about the iOS FreedomPop app as I have a 3GS and it won't even run in iOS 6.1.
  • RichCRichC Posts: 0FreedomPop Newbie
    I'll 3rd the Hangouts working the best for outbound calling. I rarely have a problem using the "rather clunky" phone calling component to the iOS app. If the interface was only a simple dialpad, I think I'd be happier. Maybe someone has a better way? (currently I 1) One touch to turn the iPhone on, 2) swipe to unlock 3) enter four digit lock code, 5) launch Hangouts, 6) switch to calls, 7) touch dialpad icon, 8) then dial the number. That's a lot of touching going on to make a call.)

@Adolfo Galvan I'm not sure about the charge using the dialer in Hangouts? I've never been charged.

@Adolfo Galvan I'm not sure about the charge using the dialer in Hangouts? I've never been charged.

I noticed it this week. But I think I have found out why. If I dial time and temp here in Fort Worth with the area code as the lead, I get the screenshot. If I use a "1" first, then it is free. So I guess we must lead with a "1" or "+1" to be free.
  • RichCRichC Posts: 0FreedomPop Newbie
    It's been a fun few days trying to see if I "could" live with the Freedompop Voice and Text app (without the Freedom "i"Phone and Sprint service) until phone number porting is available.

I set up my GV number to ring my Freedompop number using the FP V&T app on the iPhone5 and that works great giving me 200 minutes of in-bound calls. The Google Voice service then forwards both a text transcription and audio non-answered VM to my email address on my phone (I like that).

For outbound calling I'm using the Google Hangouts app which gives me high quality calls with my GV caller ID without burning those precious 200 FP minutes. So far so good with call quality and reliability for outbound calling. The only issue is that this means a second app and requires the 7 step phone calling annoyance mention in the above post.

On the downside, SMS remains a caller ID issue. The Freedompop Voice and Text app will show your FP phone number and can confuse those on the receiving end. If most of your text message recipients are family or close friends in might not be an issue ... and they may consider becoming Freedom Friends. :-bd
    RichC said:

It's been a fun few days trying to see if I "could" live with the Freedompop Voice and Text app (without the Freedom "i"Phone and Sprint service) until phone number porting is available.

I set up my GV number to ring my Freedompop number using the FP V&T app on the iPhone5 and that works great giving me 200 minutes of in-bound calls. The Google Voice service then forwards both a text transcription and audio non-answered VM to my email address on my phone (I like that).

For outbound calling I'm using the Google Hangouts app which gives me high quality calls with my GV caller ID without burning those precious 200 FP minutes. So far so good with call quality and reliability for outbound calling. The only issue is that this means a second app and requires the 7 step phone calling annoyance mention in the above post.

On the downside, SMS remains a caller ID issue. The Freedompop Voice and Text app will show your FP phone number and can confuse those on the receiving end. If most of your text message recipients are family or close friends in might not be an issue ... and they may consider becoming Freedom Friends. :-bd

Is there a Google Voice app for iOS? Could you use that for your SMS caller ID needs? I know you are then going into yet ANOTHER app but at least that should solve the caller ID confusion.
    Scott Orr said:

Is there a Google Voice app for iOS? Could you use that for your SMS caller ID needs? I know you are then going into yet ANOTHER app but at least that should solve the caller ID confusion.

The issue is that on Thursday, they won't work. Most any 3rd party app that uses Google Voice for voice or text will be cut off. I wonder if the Android Voice+ dialer will work still.
  • phone guyphone guy Posts: 3FreedomPop Newbie
    If I use Google Voice so that I can port my number to it, and use Google Voice Callback, does this mean that all my outgoing calls must be made over a 4G or a wifi data connection and not through the Sprint network?

Scott Orr said:

The issue is that on Thursday, they won't work. Most any 3rd party app that uses Google Voice for voice or text will be cut off. I wonder if the Android Voice+ dialer will work still.
    Ack, I'm confused now! haha. So my thinking was the following:
    Phone: iPhone5S
    Incoming voice/calls - Have my GV number forward calls to freedompop number
    Outgoing voice/calls - Use Hangouts for outgoing, should show my GV number on other peoples' phones when receiving my call
    SMS - Use Google's Google Voice app for texting, should show my GV number on other peoples' phones when receiving my text

Since the Hangouts app and Google Voice app on iOS are owned by Google, these will continue to work after the Thursday deadline won't they? I think the cutoff date is just for 3rd party apps.

Am I missing something?

If I use Google Voice so that I can port my number to it, and use Google Voice Callback, does this mean that all my outgoing calls must be made over a 4G or a wifi data connection and not through the Sprint network?

Yes, Google Voice calls work on and use up your data/wifi, not the cell towers of your carrier
    edited May 2014 #50
    Scott Orr said:

Ack, I'm confused now! haha. So my thinking was the following:
    Phone: iPhone5S
    Incoming voice/calls - Have my GV number forward calls to freedompop number
    Outgoing voice/calls - Use Hangouts for outgoing, should show my GV number on other peoples' phones when receiving my call
    SMS - Use Google's Google Voice app for texting, should show my GV number on other peoples' phones when receiving my text

Since the Hangouts app and Google Voice app on iOS are owned by Google, these will continue to work after the Thursday deadline won't they? I think the cutoff date is just for 3rd party apps.

Am I missing something?

No, you are fine. As long as it is from Google, it will still work. Just any programs that are 3rd party like GV Phone (which makes calls and text with GV) will not work tomorrow. I was confused with what you said, sorry!

On a different note, the deadline is coming and still no word on an updated Hangouts app for Android!
    Booooooooo, my Talkatone just stopped working. I am officially pissed at Google for integrating GV with Hangouts on iOS and not Android.