**Reminder** When you sign up for FreedomPop service we often offer a free trial experience for one of our plans or add-on services. Upon the end of your Trial, you will incur the regular charge for that plan or service. Please take a look at our Community post for more information regarding your recent purchase and what to expect: http://bit.ly/2xFTGWY

How to use Google Voice with your FreedomPop phone

Comments

• Adolfo GalvanAdolfo Galvan Posts: 719FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Master, Test Role, FreedomPop Expert, FP Flyer ✭✭✭✭
    Scott Orr said:

Booooooooo, my Talkatone just stopped working. I am officially pissed at Google for integrating GV with Hangouts on iOS and not Android.

At the moment I am able to make calls with GrooveIP (Android) and GV Voice (iOS). I am going to boot my Asterisk server to see if that works with GV.
  • Adolfo GalvanAdolfo Galvan Posts: 719FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Master, Test Role, FreedomPop Expert, FP Flyer ✭✭✭✭
    I just tested XMPP with my FreePBX server, and Google voice is still working. Maybe at the end of the day it will not work.
    Still working for me as of 5/18 @ 9:55pm CDT. Guess they haven't shut it off yet.
  • RyanIRyanI Posts: 0FreedomPop Newbie
    On Android, I think I have everything set up exactly the same as the first post. Outgoing calls go through voice+ so they show up with my google voice number. And calls to my google voice number go to my phone.

But both outgoing and incoming calls use up my FP calling minutes. No type of call uses data. I thought outgoing calls were supposed to use 4G data / wifi. Did I do something wrong?
  • Rich Sias (16th)Rich Sias (16th) Posts: 3,170FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Master, FreedomPop Expert ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is normal. All FP phone calls use FP minutes, going and coming.
    Game play, browsing, email, and other internet things use 4G data.

Basic free services for Phone on FreedomPop
    200 minutes
    and
    500 text messages
    and
    500 MB data

So making or receiving calls uses minutes
    Making / receiving texts uses texting
    All other internet actions uses data
    Be my Valentine ZTE, Victory, LG Volt, 803S, & 4 SIMs
  • Daniel KronengoldDaniel Kronengold Posts: 12FreedomPop Newbie
    But if I use straight GV Phone to make a call, rather than this whole Voice+ system described in the first post, I don't get charged minutes, right?
  • Scott OrrScott Orr Posts: 0FreedomPop Newbie
    Rich Sias said:

That is normal. All FP phone calls use FP minutes, going and coming.
    Game play, browsing, email, and other internet things use 4G data.

Basic free services for Phone on FreedomPop
    200 minutes
    and
    500 text messages
    and
    500 MB data

So making or receiving calls uses minutes
    Making / receiving texts uses texting
    All other internet actions uses data

I'm not sure about this. My setup with Talkatone used only FP data. I did this for several months without using a single FP minute.
    @daniel kronengold If you use the Voice+ method, you will be charged minutes as you are using it for incoming calls
  • M.A. II LopezM.A. II Lopez Posts: 1,163FreedomPop Master, FreedomPop Expert ✭✭✭
    Good discussion. I miss it since my job duties have gotten more time consuming.
  • Tong VangTong Vang Posts: 11FreedomPop Newbie
    YAY! Connected!
  • Lman BizLman Biz Posts: 138FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Expert ✭✭✭
    Daniel: GV is not a "phone". It is only a forwarding service, so you need either a physical phone, or another app/software to emulate a physical device. Gmail, talkatone, GrooveIP or a cell phone act as a "device". So GV is only placing the call for you, and whatever "device" you use, determines if you are charged or not. Since talkatone, gmail, and GrooveIP all can use wifi, there wouldn't be a charge if it used wifi. If no wifi is available, it uses Data to get to the program. So just keep in mind, that the "device" being used is not actually Google Voice. So if FP charges for wifi calls made, then you will get charged. FP acts as the "device". Hopefully this will give you more of an understanding on what GV actually is.
  • Guillaume FilteauGuillaume Filteau Posts: 1FreedomPop Newbie
    I'm trying to make calls with my Google Voice number on my FreedomPop android phone but it keeps failing.

If I disable FreedomPop Messaging integration and try to use Voice+, I never receive the callback (I get the "wait for callback" message but nothing happens).

If I do enable FreedomPop Messaging integration, each time I try to make a call FreedomPop takes over and doesn't give me the option to get a callback with Voice+...

Also, since I'm on Android the Hangout app can't be used to make phone calls, so that isn't an option.

Anyone managed to get it to work yet?
    @Merudo There are to methods. METHOD 1

You must setup GV correctly. Here are the steps. Maybe you have already done some of these.
    1. Get GV account
    2. Login to Google Voice on PC.
    3. Goto Settings then the Phones tab
    4. Add a phone - put your FP phone number in there. Select that phone to forward to.
    5. Goto your phone, install GV, and then initiate it. Login to the GV app using the same login you used when creating the GV account. If you don't have that google account on your phone already, you need to add it.
    6. Continue through the setup, but SKIP the Sprint setup. When it asks you which phone to use, select your FP phone.
    7. SKIP the vmail setup.

Now it should work. I always select "Ask every time I make a call" so I am sure I am using GV.

Method 2 next......
    ...Continued...Method 2

The SECOND method is to simply login to the voice.google.com website and select "call" on the left hand side. Then you can give the number to call, and the phone to forward to. This always works, and is a FREE way to make a call actually using google voice. GV will call your FP phone, then it will call the other number once you pick up. You cannot make a call from the App though. Go figure.
  • billinjaxbillinjax Posts: 4FreedomPop Newbie
    When you select "Ask every time I make a call" should the person you are calling see your Google Voice number on their callerid? For me it doesn't work that way what they see is the phone's number.
  • Rynne CowhamRynne Cowham Posts: 79FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Expert
    Hangouts integrated with iOS has definitely saved my hide, and my DIY "life hack phone" (my modded iPod). It's far easier receiving calls than placing them, but I generally don't call out much. Still, I think I may go with an FP iPhone in the near future and just eliminate the hassle.
  • Jill  SladeJill Slade Posts: 1FreedomPop Newbie
    Frustration: In the FreedomPop Messaging settings, there's an option to show a different caller ID, but it doesn't seem to work at all. Why is that? Why have an option that doesn't work at all? Will it work sometime in the future? Because the minute it does, all should be fine regarding the issue of FP numbers showing on outgoing calls instead of GV numbers. When I had Sprint that's all I had to do was fill in a similar setting and viola! FreedomPop's however doesn't seem to work or I need to click or unclick something I'm unaware of. The folks at tech support tell me I have to actually port the GV number over to solve it without having to go through 2-3 apps for each phone call. There's a request to do just that in the pipes, but darn I've had the original non-GV number for over 20 years and for friends and family it's known, for business I needed a "local" number where I've moved to rather than where I the family and original number are.

• jessica m clarkjessica m clark Posts: 0FreedomPop Newbie
    Hey guys,

I have an iphone 5 from FreedomPop, and was not able to get the Hangouts App to work, but I have been using another app called Talkatone which works fine as long as I'm in good wifi. It costs a dollar for an hour of outgoing calls though, but with a 0 a month plan, this works pretty well for me.
  • Ali Ali Posts: 6,735FreedomPop Master, Test Role, iOS Master ✭✭✭✭✭
    Apparently SMS on GV got my SMS texts from GV working in the native messages app so yay! Sadly it requires a jailbreak which a lot of people don't want to do...
  • Neal HollowayNeal Holloway Posts: 0FreedomPop Newbie
    After advice from Ali about getting a local number so landlines where I am that can only dial local can reach my FreedomPop phone, I did as Adolfo Galvan describes in this discussion using Google Voice, Google Voice app, FreedomPop messaging app, and Voice+ (Google Callback) app. With the settings as Adolfo instructs, I now have a local Google Voice number that the local landlines can dial, for free. Thanks guys.
    P.S. Search for Voice+ in the Play Store using Google Callback as a description because there's another app named Voice+. This will save you some time and frustration.
  • Daniel SantiniDaniel Santini Posts: 5FreedomPop Newbie
    I've been using Google Voice for ALL of my services since it was first available. So if/when I ever receive my phone, I should be able to provide plenty of tips and info on using it with FP. Well, after I get mine working right, of course.
  • Nes FP-SGalaxy_S3Nes FP-SGalaxy_S3 Posts: 108FreedomPop Expert, FreedomFan ✭✭✭

I've been using Google Voice for ALL of my services since it was first available. So if/when I ever receive my phone, I should be able to provide plenty of tips and info on using it with FP. Well, after I get mine working right, of course.

@Daniel Santini‌ How long ago did you order it (earlier today) and which phone? Just wondering..
    XDA, Captain Picard, and NYC ==> All kick a$$!
  • JD_DanielsJD_Daniels Posts: 24FreedomPop Newbie
    Hi @Nes FP-SGalaxy_S3 I'm waiting for the S2 here. Can use all the help I can get when I reach that point and try to setup GV. Thanks in advance to everyone who has helped and continues to help others. TY <:)
    Thank You FreedomPop for more free minutes then any other carrier!!!
    FreedomPop's Samsung Galaxy SII Epic 4G Touch SPH-D710, Galaxy SIII SPH-L710 & G2 LS980