**Reminder** When you sign up for FreedomPop service we often offer a free trial experience for one of our plans or add-on services. Upon the end of your Trial, you will incur the regular charge for that plan or service. Please take a look at our Community post for more information regarding your recent purchase and what to expect: http://bit.ly/2xFTGWY

How to use Google Voice with your FreedomPop phone

Comments

• JD_DanielsJD_Daniels Posts: 24FreedomPop Newbie
    @Daniel Santini when you get it all figured out would you lend me a hand? I've got a S2 otw. Thanks.
    I'll have to set it up differently than I used to. I'll be trying to set everything up on Hangouts, so any info I can share would mostly be about using that app specifically.
    Thank You FreedomPop for more free minutes then any other carrier!!!
    FreedomPop's Samsung Galaxy SII Epic 4G Touch SPH-D710, Galaxy SIII SPH-L710 & G2 LS980
  • S MPS MP Posts: 350FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Expert ✭✭✭
    When you do get that phone don't be confused by some of the commenters here who might be using IPhones. The IPhone still has a fully functional google voice app, whereas in android google has hobbled it and begun integration with hangouts.

In android I've been using GrooveIP, which used to be much better before they switched over to Ring.To.
    I'm not an employee...only a volunteer. If you need official assistance:

Freedompop Customer Service numbers-(888) 743-8107---(888) 906-3184---855) 703-5785---(888) 673-8518---888) 915-2647--(888) 731-1555--(888) 701-1353, Monday-Friday 8am-8pm PDT.
  • walter greesonwalter greeson Posts: 19FreedomPop Newbie
    i rma my dead phone for replacement tracking showed they received it a week ago will i get a confirmation of recite or at least an expected shipping date
    @S MP said,
    S MP said:

When you do get that phone don't be confused by some of the commenters here who might be using IPhones.
    In android I've been using GrooveIP, which used to be much better before they switched over to Ring.To.

@S MP [email protected] What's the exact purpose for using GV and then hangouts or GvooveIP or Ring.To ??? I mean is it for being able to have free voice messaging? Or is it for having better call quality? Or both? Compared to what you would receive from the free FreedomPop service.

I've read where the call quality isn't so good on 4G or 3G. And I know the free service doesn't provide a voice mailbox for messages. But still somewhat confused for the reasons and purposes of what I would consider a bunch of additional applications that I'm not sure why there needed. I'm why they put the "new" in newbie lol. Because I'm as new at this as they come. Thanks in advance to all helpful answers. TY
    FreedomPop's Samsung Galaxy SII Epic 4G Touch SPH-D710, Galaxy SIII SPH-L710 & G2 LS980
  • hankjrodhankjrod Posts: 368FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Expert ✭✭✭
    @JD_Daniels‌ Call quality varies. By me, I have 4g lte and call quality is very good. On 3g it is pretty good as well. However, in cities where 3g is more congested, call quality suffers. I don't use GV, but the main reason I am aware of is that you can port your current number to GV and then use GV to ring whatever phone you want. That way, you can switch phones easily without changing the number. You also get the benefit of Voicemail and Voicemail to text.

Thanks @hankjrod I appreciate your help.
  • Nes FP-SGalaxy_S3Nes FP-SGalaxy_S3 Posts: 108FreedomPop Expert, FreedomFan ✭✭✭
    @JD_Daniels‌ There are quite a few reasons why some people would want to use the google voice service. here are a few that i know of..

it's basically an actual telephone # attached to a gmail account. so hence.. where ever you logg in to check your email; desktop, laptop, tablet, and smartphone.. you can also make out going and even receive incoming calls, via Google Voice. As well as text. granted all the hardware required is there/integrated... ie: microphone, speakers/earphones... and the programs/apps work correctly.

other features; you can attach many devices to this one google account phone #. So when someone dials that #, it can ring your devices all at the same time. or specific ones at specific times. Also there's call forwarding, receive voice mails, type them out and even email them to you. etc etc. many features for many reasons. 1 feature that might be a buzz kill is not being able to send photos and such via text. I might be wrong on this.
    XDA, Captain Picard, and NYC ==> All kick a$$!
  • Nes FP-SGalaxy_S3Nes FP-SGalaxy_S3 Posts: 108FreedomPop Expert, FreedomFan ✭✭✭
    I, personally have set one up to be a dedicated number to my website/resume and it's services. Wordpress'in the @#$% out of it, as I type.. Or should be at least..

When someone calls it, I will know it's for business purposes. They on the other hand, won't know they are calling my personal cell phone.. or in the case that it goes to voicemail.. they are really talking to my gmail. ha. or so I would hope it works this way.. we shall see. waiting on my S3. lets keep on, keeping on.
    the real intrigue in us all tho, is.. @ali @MIGUEL LOPEZ‌ whether the call quality will be better thru the google voice app aka hangouts or our intergrated freedompop app... my guess............... it'll be the same! :-\"

PS: As others have mentioned. Google use to be/is a conglomerate of sorts with many different services/sites. as in "Blogger" for bloggin, or "Talk" (which was a way for google users to essentially instant message eachother inside of gmail. then voice was for.. well voice.. .and then video was for... well... wait, they thought. lets all package this together. (AOL days anyone?) and they've tried this time and time again.. but this time it might just stick.. its called... google+ the plus bring us hang outs and circles and squares, oh my!

its all in there. somehow. long live the cloud.. just remember.. "Don't be evil"
  • Adolfo GalvanAdolfo Galvan Posts: 719FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Master, Test Role, FreedomPop Expert, FP Flyer ✭✭✭✭

the real intrigue in us all tho, is.. @ali @MIGUEL LOPEZ‌ whether the call quality will be better thru the google voice app aka hangouts or our intergrated freedompop app... my guess............... it'll be the same! :-\"

In my opinion, the voice quality of the Hangouts app on iOS is better than FreedomPop, even on cellular data. That is why I can't wait for the Android version.
  • Ali Ali Posts: 6,735FreedomPop Master, Test Role, iOS Master ✭✭✭✭✭
    And it uses less battery
    @Nes FP-SGalaxy_53 said:
    @JD_Daniels‌ There are quite a few reasons why some people would want to use the google voice service. here are a few that i know of..

OK so I want to use this with my FP S2 # once it arrives and I set it up and get a # for the phone. I'll use my gmail account and log into google voice. Give my FP # as my primary and only #. They (GV) will ask to confirm that FP cell #. Now when they call back to confirm. Should I or should I not answer the phone? I'm kind of lost on the steps after that and what to do. Help from anyone please and or guidance on steps from there. Thanks again so much in advance.
  • hankjrodhankjrod Posts: 368FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Expert ✭✭✭
    Ali said:

The hangouts app is surprisingly better, less laggy, and our voice actually sounds clear to the other party being called.

That may be, but I don't like google getting my data ... I would rather trust freedompop.
    edited August 2014 #92
    @JD_Daniels I think the answer to your question is YES. albeit when you have your phone in hand, yes, you pick up the call from google and sign your soul away. lol take a look at this:

Go to the Google Voice website and sign in using your Google account. (If you don't have a Google account you can create one.

Choose I want a new number.

Once chosen click Continue.

Choose a PIN to use to retrieve your messages and access your Google Voice settings from any phone.

Enter a forwarding phone number (this is the phone that will ring when someone calls your Google Voice number) and select a type from the 'Phone type' drop-down menu.

Verify your phone. You'll see a numerical code along with a Call Me Now button. When you click the button, we'll call your forwarding phone and ask you to enter the code on the screen so we know the phone number you gave us is the right one.

Congratulations! Your Google number is all set up.
    @hankjrod‌ True I wouldn't want Google to get my data but at the same time I fed them false info so they already have false info about who they think is "me" ;)
    Ali said:

@hankjrod‌ True I wouldn't want Google to get my data

A little late for that buddy... Guaranteed. Your data has been got. and thats all way before Google's Corporate American ways came around the corner, of what some would call, the Cusp of the Technological Revolution... Orr, the true birth of it...

I wonder if "it" knows what i'm sayin... reads what i type... and reacts with a vengeance... lol Good weekend everyone!
    Lol @Nes FP-SGalaxy_S3‌ They actually put tracking cookies all over my computer and know exactly which websites I visit, kinda scary so I have to block cookies from Google now. Other advertisement agencies like TribalFusion also try to do the same but they fail.
  • DaveDoesItDaveDoesIt Posts: 1FreedomPop Newbie
    I currently have about 5 Different Phone numbers google voice is a godsend.
    My Setup:
    Home Voip Phone with Nettalk 30$ / Year
    Google Voice Free VoiceMail and Text Messaging
    Groove IP/ring.to Free WIFI outgoing and incoming calls over WIFI (Can also use 3g/4g consumes data)
    Freedom Pop Uses 3g/4g for Data and Voice.
    I only give out my Google Voice Number and when a person calls it.
    It rings my Home Number and My Groove ip/Ring.to Number. This means so long as i have WIFI i have free incoming/outgoing calls.
    When i leave WIFI coverage I then use Freedompop's 3g/4g services and can make calls using their app to deduct from my minutes or Groove IP /ring.to to deduct from my Mobile allocation.
    It is still possible to call-out from my home/ring.to/freedompop #'s and have my Google Voice Number show up but involves me calling my Google Voice number first.
    Since i use Android (Galaxy S3) i don't have the convenience of making or receiving calls through Google Hangouts elludes me
    @DaveDoesIt Nice. Informative. But I only counted 4 numbers there.. \:D/
    whats the difference if any between Groove IP "ring.to" and this other app i'm reading about called PHONE for Google Voice & GTalk "Mo+"? anyone?
  • DaveDoesItDaveDoesIt Posts: 1FreedomPop Newbie
    Its just these APPs like GrooveIP,Mo+, Tapatalk etc all use different servers to route calls, different interfaces,features and codecs. Some are Free others require a subscription it's all a matter of personal preference.

and I was close with the 5 estimation ^^
    Cool. @DaveDoesIt but so which if any is better for voice on our S3's..? better than the freedompop app or is it all relative?! Or is it really about; cell tower distance and blah blah blah based on individuals and where they live??????