**Reminder** When you sign up for FreedomPop service we often offer a free trial experience for one of our plans or add-on services. Upon the end of your Trial, you will incur the regular charge for that plan or service. Please take a look at our Community post for more information regarding your recent purchase and what to expect: http://bit.ly/2xFTGWY

How to use Google Voice with your FreedomPop phone

Comments

• Stephanie WilsonStephanie Wilson Posts: 3FreedomPop Newbie
    Ok, I block ads and https everywhere. At the same time I'm one of those darkside wierdos who has no problem w/ google collecting whatever i put out there. I block ads because they annoy me. I'm not a big consumer sort. What I am is a radical behaviorist. Sure, any info gather could be used for nastiness. But it doesn't have to be. Google is largely a company supportive of free research. I'm much more comfortable with them knowing I have a cat, 2 bs BS degrees and a fondness for limoncello than i am that the fbi has access to the same info. It may not make sence but social engineering has always had a lot of positive potential to me. Would think it a god thing if someone found a way to manipulate people into eating more spinach and no hot dogs. And if there is ever anything i truly, truly want private - like searching for a new job during lunch on the company computer - well, that's what tor is for.
  • Kristina ChristmanKristina Christman Posts: 0FreedomPop Newbie
    Can I port my FreedomPop number to Google Voice?
  • Nes FP-SGalaxy_S3Nes FP-SGalaxy_S3 Posts: 108FreedomPop Expert, FreedomFan ✭✭✭
    edited August 2014 #104
    Just got my phone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Finally.......... the Rock.... has come back.... to Mobile Cellular service! Ohhh baby! I'm sure its all been well worth it. We shall see tho.

A lil help....? Hey, You, Guyssss!?
    Got the S3 with what i'm expecting to be the most up to date FP apps installed. I logged into Goggle Voice on my desktop computer. Went to settings, forward calls to..... my new FP phone#. Boom. Done.

Without installing Voice, Hangouts or any other apps really, i checked the integration by placing calls and texts from a friends phone. ALL SEEMS TO WORK VERY WELL so far....
    They call my GV#, my phone rings..
    I call them, their phone rings(FP# shows up tho)... **Must Fix**
    They shoot me a text to my GV#, my phone gets it, in the FP messaging app.
    I respond to that text and they get it in return.

.........cont...........
    XDA, Captain Picard, and NYC ==> All kick a$$!
  • Nes FP-SGalaxy_S3Nes FP-SGalaxy_S3 Posts: 108FreedomPop Expert, FreedomFan ✭✭✭

....cont..........

to fix the caller ID issue I was going to follow a method mentioned before... But, before I do,
    ===MY QUESTION===
    With my current situation, data is of the up-most importance to me. I DO NOT HAVE UNLIMITED data at home. Saying that.... is there a way to call using one of the above mentioned methods to show my GV# on caller ID but it still USE MINUTES and not data??

grooveip and m+ for sure eat up data, weather wifi/3g/4g.... and from my reads, data only! its all data I can not afford to expend. unless, the consumption is low. how low tho?? Say, a nice 10 min call over data would consume???? I thank you in advance for taking the time to answer and look into this. you guys, and gals, rock! BIG TIME!

Can I port my FreedomPop number to Google Voice?

@Kristina Christman‌ you can, but make sure this is what you for sure want to do. usually theres a fee... just looked it up, $20.
  • Adolfo GalvanAdolfo Galvan Posts: 719FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Master, Test Role, FreedomPop Expert, FP Flyer ✭✭✭✭

With my current situation, data is of the up-most importance to me. I DO NOT HAVE UNLIMITED data at home. Saying that.... is there a way to call using one of the above mentioned methods to show my GV# on caller ID but it still USE MINUTES and not data??

If you use the method that said in the OP, it will use FP minutes and no data if on 3G/4G. If you chose to use a VoIP method with WiFi, voice calls use a small amount of data (about 1M per minute or less). If data is even more of an issue than this and FP does not work well where you live, consider a low cost cellular operator.
  • Huajun  FanHuajun Fan Posts: 16FreedomPop Newbie
    What do you me am "Op" when you say "If you use the method that said in the OP, it will use FP minutes and no data if on 3G/4G"? Where can I find it? Sorry for this trival question, Newbie, you know. Thanks a lot

It will not work this way with the Google Voice app only. Set the Google Voice app to never make a call. Download the Voice+ app (Google Callback). It will act like the web dialer and call you first, then it will call the other party showing your GV number. Make sure you disable "Intergrate with Android" on the FreedomPop Messaging app and enable it in the Voice+ app. You will need to use the native dialer for it to work.

So native dialer to call shows my gv#. Got it. Incoming calls come thru....? native dialer? or Voice+ app? or, dare I say, FP messaging app?
    and will I have to press 1 to accept always?

and when someone texts me back to my Android phone, will it go to the Voice+ app, the Goggle Voice app or the FP messanging app? or, dare I say, all three?!?

Setting up.....
  • Adolfo GalvanAdolfo Galvan Posts: 719FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Master, Test Role, FreedomPop Expert, FP Flyer ✭✭✭✭

So native dialer to call shows my gv#. Got it. Incoming calls come thru....? native dialer? or Voice+ app? or, dare I say, FP messaging app?
    and will I have to press 1 to accept always?

and when someone texts me back to my Android phone, will it go to the Voice+ app, the Goggle Voice app or the FP messanging app? or, dare I say, all three?!?

Setting up.....

You first must make sure that the FP Messaging app is set NOT to use the native dialer. Then you need to set Voice+ to use the native dialer. It will "call" for you by using the callback feature of Google Voice (just like the website). It will ring you back with the ID of your phone, but the outgoing ID will be your number to the party you are calling. Set the incoming to the FP messaging app number using the Google Voice website. Use the Google Voice app for texting.

What do you me am "Op" when you say "If you use the method that said in the OP, it will use FP minutes and no data if on 3G/4G"? Where can I find it? Sorry for this trival question, Newbie, you know. Thanks a lot

Sorry, it means Original Post. Look at the first 2 posts about this. When you make/receive calls on FreedomPop on 3G/4G data, it will not use your data allotment.

You first must make sure that the FP Messaging app is set NOT to use the native dialer. Then you need to set Voice+ to use the native dialer. It will "call" for you by using the callback feature of Google Voice (just like the website). It will ring you back with the ID of your phone, but the outgoing ID will be your number to the party you are calling. Set the incoming to the FP messaging app number using the Google Voice website. Use the Google Voice app for texting.

Got it working. THanks. text are still coming up as the FP messaging app. i'll work with that for now.

Got it working. THanks. text are still coming up as the FP messaging app. i'll work with that for now.

I don't know if this is the issue or not. But, on the Google Voice website, you selected "Receive text messages on this phone", it will forward your texts to the FreedomPop Messaging app, albeit with a weird number. If this is the case, then any texts that you send back will show up as your Google Voice number. Again no data used since it is through the app. I would suggest that you use the Google Voice app for texting as it is less confusing. It will use a small amount of data.
    One more note, save the weird number as the contact that sent you the message. This is the number Google uses to send texts to that person through Google Voice. Example your contact John Doe is 213-555-3542 and they send you a text message. It shows up as "684-555-6728 John Doe - Hi how are you". If you sent a text back to the 684 number, it will route to the 213 number as your Google Voice number. Google owns the 684 number and will treat any texts to that number as they need to be routed to the 213 number. I hope this will explain how it works to you.
    Thanks Adolf. Very imformative as always. Thanks for your patience bro. Im not sure if it was me, but in the Google Voice app, => in settings => in Sync and notifications => in "Receive text messages": i had it (Via the messaging app) changed it back to (Via the Google Voice app) and has solved everything.
    as a recap for any new members..

Original Post works as of Sept 1st. for ANDROID phones. I personally have the S3.
    Original Post works as of Sept 1st. for ANDROID phones. I personally have the S3.

(1.) I use the Goggle Voice app to receive and send text messages. all notifications of these text messages come directly to my phone and connects me to the Goggle Voice app (text messaging & voicemail).
    (2.) I use the native "main" dialer (little green phone icon) to place calls. I installed and set-up the Voice+ app as stated in the Original Post. Because of this, the app itself is really only a black screen of settings. But it does its thing. In my contacts I click on a person to call, it asks me which phone# to "call me back on". I choose my NEs-FP #, it will call me, i pick up and its ringing the other person right away. They see my GV#. Not bad at all.
  • Huajun  FanHuajun Fan Posts: 16FreedomPop Newbie

Sorry, it means Original Post. Look at the first 2 posts about this. When you make/receive calls on FreedomPop on 3G/4G data, it will not use your data allotment.
    Thanks. When my phone is not on WIFI, it shows LTE, does that mean 3G or 4G? So far, my FreedomPop app has used 91MB of 174MB of cellur data? Is it normal? Can you me troubleshoot? Thanks

Thanks. When my phone is not on WIFI, it shows LTE, does that mean 3G or 4G? So far, my FreedomPop app has used 91MB of 174MB of cellur data? Is it normal? Can you me troubleshoot? Thanks

When on LTE it is 4G. The FreedomPop Messaging app will use data, but it will not count against your data allotment. The menu of the app will tell you how much data you have left.
    There has been an update today (9/10/14) in Hangouts to integrate the functions of the Google Voice app. It seems to not have VoIP calling yet (in Android) but SMS and Voicemail are routed to Hangouts. If you choose to switch to Hangouts, the Google Voice app will no longer function. More details here: http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/09/09/breaking-google-voice-integration-is-currently-rolling-out-in-hangouts/

I have NOT received the rollout on my devices yet. I will let everyone know how it works.

Side note: This will NOT effect anything of the discussions above, only that Hangouts will be used instead of the Google Voice app.
  • Gregory SuvalianGregory Suvalian Posts: 0FreedomPop Newbie
    It does have VOIP calling and receiving of calls (last part is not enabled by default but you can enabled it in settings).

It does have VOIP calling and receiving of calls (last part is not enabled by default but you can enabled it in settings).

Cool! It has still not rolled out to me yet. I can't wait!
    I can confirm that the new Hangouts App can make calls VoIP with your Google Voice number. I do not have Google Voice integration yet (I was impatient). If you too wish to be impatient, the APK is here: http://phandroid.com/2014/09/10/hangouts-free-voice-calls/

Otherwise wait for it to be pushed along with Google Voice integration.
  • PhilWangS3PhilWangS3 Posts: 75FreedomPop Newbie
    Update "Hangout" then download "Hangouts Dialer" and you will have a phone dialer to allow for incoming and outgoing calls. However, Hangouts dialer does not integrate with the phone's dialer, so for outgoing calls, you need to open the phone dialer screen in Hangouts and dial from there. Of course, you could always use your FP 200 minutes for outgoing calls and use hangout for incoming calls.
  • Gregory SuvalianGregory Suvalian Posts: 0FreedomPop Newbie
    Don't forget click checkbox "receive incoming call in Hangouts" under settings, this will allow you to receive Google Voice calls as well in Hangouts. With this setup you have both incoming/outgoing GV solution. In fact after this setup I completely removed FP application from phone (since it's major battery drain) and still can successfully use GV for both receiving and making calls.

Update "Hangout" then download "Hangouts Dialer" and you will have a phone dialer to allow for incoming and outgoing calls. However, Hangouts dialer does not integrate with the phone's dialer, so for outgoing calls, you need to open the phone dialer screen in Hangouts and dial from there. Of course, you could always use your FP 200 minutes for outgoing calls and use hangout for incoming calls.

It doesn't integrate, but the Hangouts Dialer does pull from your contacts. There is not a way, however, from what I have seen to make it the default dialer either. This may be problematic for some applications.

Calls from WiFi seem to be just as good on Android as in the iOS version which is much better than any GV related app. I will try it out on FP's 3G and WiMAX today.
  • RollingCheeseRollingCheese Posts: 4FreedomPop Newbie
    Have any of you guys manage to get the updated hangouts dialer for the HTC EVO 4g?