**Reminder** When you sign up for FreedomPop service we often offer a free trial experience for one of our plans or add-on services. Upon the end of your Trial, you will incur the regular charge for that plan or service. Please take a look at our Community post for more information regarding your recent purchase and what to expect: http://bit.ly/2xFTGWY

How to use Google Voice with your FreedomPop phone

Comments

• Adolfo GalvanAdolfo Galvan Posts: 719FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Master, Test Role, FreedomPop Expert, FP Flyer ✭✭✭✭

Have any of you guys manage to get the updated hangouts dialer for the HTC EVO 4g?

On my EVO 4G, it looks like Hangouts is not available anymore. I wonder if Hangouts 2.3 is not supported by Gingerbread.

On a different note, my integration is complete. Hangouts is now receiving voice mail and SMS messages as of this evening. Calling on my Nexus S 4G on WiMAX was okay; not as smooth as on WiFi. Making calls using 3G was not good at all. On T-Mobile, it was great on HSPA+. I do not have any data on my Galaxy Nexus to test Sprint LTE on Hangouts.
  • seattlemarkseattlemark Posts: 0FreedomPop Newbie
    Based on this thread, I have a general/high level question related to FreedomPop phones in general. In the second post of this thread it says, "To use this app you must use the native dialer and not the FreedomPop Messaging app to dial out."

I was very surprised to read that today. I did know from another post that 911 calls work with the native dialer. But other than that emergency case, until today I was under the impression that the FreedomPop phones would not dial out with the native dialer. Since I just read that the native dialer does work for even non-emergency use I have the question, "For someone not using Google Voice, and is using the regular FreedomPop methods, what benefit does the FreedomPop Messaging app dialer provide over the phone's native dialer?" I am really curious and wondering about this, and can't wait to learn the answer. Thanks!
  • Adolfo GalvanAdolfo Galvan Posts: 719FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Master, Test Role, FreedomPop Expert, FP Flyer ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2014 #129

Based on this thread, I have a general/high level question related to FreedomPop phones in general. In the second post of this thread it says, "To use this app you must use the native dialer and not the FreedomPop Messaging app to dial out."

I was very surprised to read that today. I did know from another post that 911 calls work with the native dialer. But other than that emergency case, until today I was under the impression that the FreedomPop phones would not dial out with the native dialer. Since I just read that the native dialer does work for even non-emergency use I have the question, "For someone not using Google Voice, and is using the regular FreedomPop methods, what benefit does the FreedomPop Messaging app dialer provide over the phone's native dialer?" I am really curious and wondering about this, and can't wait to learn the answer. Thanks!

There is not a difference in using one over the other. You can say that the native dialer is better because the contacts/people app and other apps works with the native dialer when you have "Integrate with Android" checked in Settings>Easy configuration of the Messaging app. Since the Messaging app actually does the dialing, however, you call log will not show up there; it will be in the Messaging app.
  • douglas beerdouglas beer Posts: 91FreedomPop Newbie
    I just received my Samsung Galaxy S4 three weeks ago and it is working great with Google Voice and Hangouts. I have two Google Voice accounts and it lets me call out from either one using Hangouts Dialer and the correct Google Voice number appears in the called ID of the person I called.

The only thing that's not working (and never has) is picture texting. Maybe someday.
  • Nes FP-SGalaxy_S3Nes FP-SGalaxy_S3 Posts: 108FreedomPop Expert, FreedomFan ✭✭✭
    I'm still using the Original Posts method but will be upgrading to 'hangouts'. But @douglas beer‌ brings up a good point. No picture texting thru google voice nor google hangouts to the phone??

Also is there a working call logg set up for hangouts?
    XDA, Captain Picard, and NYC ==> All kick a$$!

I'm still using the Original Posts method but will be upgrading to 'hangouts'. But @douglas beer‌ brings up a good point. No picture texting thru google voice nor google hangouts to the phone??

Also is there a working call logg set up for hangouts?

I am now using the Hangouts method. With Hangouts, you can send MMS to anyone (it will give the other party a link to click on) which is way better than it used to be. You will only be able to receive MMS from a Sprint or T-Mobile customer.

Call log is in Hangouts (via the Hangouts Dialer add-on).
  • Nes FP-SGalaxy_S3Nes FP-SGalaxy_S3 Posts: 108FreedomPop Expert, FreedomFan ✭✭✭
    perfect. thanks.
  • newbie321newbie321 Posts: 6FreedomPop Newbie

What do you me am "Op" when you say "If you use the method that said in the OP, it will use FP minutes and no data if on 3G/4G"? Where can I find it? Sorry for this trival question, Newbie, you know. Thanks a lot

Sorry, it means Original Post. Look at the first 2 posts about this. When you make/receive calls on FreedomPop on 3G/4G data, it will not use your data allotment.
    Thanks. When my phone is not on WIFI, it shows LTE, does that mean 3G or 4G? So far, my FreedomPop app has used 91MB of 174MB of cellur data? Is it normal? Can you me troubleshoot? Thanks
    Here is what I can see here in Chicago; it is an answer to your question:
    Prior to FreedomPop I was with Tmobile. On tMobile's LTE network I was getting 28MB/s download and about 10MB/s upload. On FreedomPop (Sprint network) I am getting 1.67MB/s download and 0.82MB upload. While FP's speed is much lower than that of tMobile (about a factor of >10), it is still extremely fast for ALL my needs including web browsing, emailing, skype, etc...
  • Carol BradenCarol Braden Posts: 0FreedomPop Newbie
    Adolpho Galvin, you said, "Select "Do not use Google Voice to make any calls. This feature will NOT work with FreedomPop."
    Did you mean to say with Freedom Pop on cell phones? I have ordered the Freedom Spot Overdrive Pro to use with my Android tablet PC and it's my understanding that the Google Voice App WILL work to make calls from my device. Is that correct?

Adolpho Galvin, you said, "Select "Do not use Google Voice to make any calls. This feature will NOT work with FreedomPop."
    Did you mean to say with Freedom Pop on cell phones? I have ordered the Freedom Spot Overdrive Pro to use with my Android tablet PC and it's my understanding that the Google Voice App WILL work to make calls from my device. Is that correct?

That setting is intended for use on cellular outgoing calls. So it will not work with the FreedomPop Messaging app. The tablet version of the Google Voice app should not give you that option. I would just use the new Hangouts app and dialer if possible. The steps that I posted should work on a tablet.
  • Alan YurkAlan Yurk Posts: 0FreedomPop Newbie
    @Adolfo Galvan

I have 2 BYOD Galaxy S3's on Freedompop service. I set them both up with Google voice/Voice+ callback as your initial post instructed.

On one phone, outgoing calls work perfectly, and the callback happens every time, then the call is completed normally. On the other phone, the callback works rarely, and most times the call is completed without using my Voice number (which is bad).

Every setting on each phone's apps matches the other, and every setting in each phone's google voice account (PC) is identical. I've tried everything from reboots, to uninstall/reinstall voice and voice+ and FP messaging, to a complete factory reset of the phone.

What the smack is wrong here? I can't figure it out! Can you provide any insight?

Thank you
  • Alan YurkAlan Yurk Posts: 0FreedomPop Newbie
    Never mind. Figured it out. It was a conflict with the Hangouts dialer. Voice/voice callback needed to be completely configured and working before installing the hangouts dialer.
    Alan Yurk said:

Never mind. Figured it out. It was a conflict with the Hangouts dialer. Voice/voice callback needed to be completely configured and working before installing the hangouts dialer.

Sorry I didn't answer your question in a timely manner. I have a project that has been taking much of my free time the past 2 weeks. I am glad it is working now.
  • WUYI  LIWUYI LI Posts: 45FreedomPop Newbie
    This is an alternative if you couldn't port your old phone number to Freedompop.
    Just got me a new phone... An S4.... about to go IN on this whole Google integration... just wondering....

is this HANGOUTS & HANGOUTS DIALer the best option moving forward???
    or
    is the orignal post by @Adolfo Galvan‌ with GOOGLE VOICE and VOICE+ (dialer) a very similar option???

is this one of those user preference situations?

Thanks for the info guys....

• johnmjohnm Posts: 99FreedomPop Newbie
    I'm using hangouts and hangouts dialer, it is great. I'm sure you'll get the latest info soon, but I think google voice is out of commission now that hangouts has a dialer. I differ to the pros though.
    I thank you guys... and yes Adolfo Galvan.. you are a sage! even if you are from TXs... lol kidding. :)>-
    been using hangouts... cool.. definitely better call quality so far...

but what it is up with this whole circles hangouts strangers thing?!

i go to send a text or call my friend "john"... all of a sudden every single John in the google stratosphere pops up.... skrew that and skrew your circles mannn... i'm sure theres a way to turn this feature off.. but if there isnt... i dunno about this, at all. =\
    edited November 2014 #146

been using hangouts... cool.. definitely better call quality so far...

but what it is up with this whole circles hangouts strangers thing?!

i go to send a text or call my friend "john"... all of a sudden every single John in the google stratosphere pops up.... skrew that and skrew your circles mannn... i'm sure theres a way to turn this feature off.. but if there isnt... i dunno about this, at all. =\

I have noticed this too, but I don't know how to stop it. The contacts that are mine show up first and it is not all that annoying to me. The only thing I can think of for you is use the Contacts or People programs to pull up the person that you want to text to. The default should be Hangouts and Google Voice to SMS.
  • Jean MillerJean Miller Posts: 140FreedomPop Newbie
    Hey, does anyone know how to put text back into hangouts after you choose to initially opt out to keep them in GV? I can't anywhere in either iOS app to opt back in to the consolidation of sms into hangouts.
    I like me deals and free stuff. Thx, peeps
    Also why does my hangouts call log always clear every so often?

Hey, does anyone know how to put text back into hangouts after you choose to initially opt out to keep them in GV? I can't anywhere in either iOS app to opt back in to the consolidation of sms into hangouts.

Wish I can help on the iOS side. My 3GS is now out of commission. I did not know it was possible in iOS to change the default SMS app without jailbreaking it.

Wish I can help on the iOS side. My 3GS is now out of commission. I did not know it was possible in iOS to change the default SMS app without jailbreaking it.
    I'm not even considering native SMS iMessager but rather when the latest update to iOS Hangouts came out it asked if I wanted to keep text & voicemail in Google Voice or move them to Hangouts. I originally opted in but when I realized it was little difficult because all old text remained in GV as well as the ability to list to my GV voicemail I tried to use the GV app too but it said I had to opt out of having text in Hangouts. Now I see a way to opt back in, not even after deleting and re-downloading them. I know I had GV texts in Hangouts because I can still see the text I made in the app there in it but now I just can't use it and it says text failed to send or something to that effect. I don't get it. If they had that option, why won't they take it away? And searching the internet and Google help only confused what I talking like you did. Google totally ignores how to move GV app text to Hangout in iOS. I'm at a total loss.

I'm not even considering native SMS iMessager but rather when the latest update to iOS Hangouts came out it asked if I wanted to keep text & voicemail in Google Voice or move them to Hangouts. I originally opted in but when I realized it was little difficult because all old text remained in GV as well as the ability to list to my GV voicemail I tried to use the GV app too but it said I had to opt out of having text in Hangouts. Now I see a way to opt back in, not even after deleting and re-downloading them. I know I had GV texts in Hangouts because I can still see the text I made in the app there in it but now I just can't use it and it says text failed to send or something to that effect. I don't get it. If they had that option, why won't they take it away? And searching the internet and Google help only confused what I talking like you did. Google totally ignores how to move GV app text to Hangout in iOS. I'm at a total loss.
    In the Android Hangouts app, I go to Settings>(My GV Account)>and under Messages I can choose to have GV SMS and voicemail in Hangouts. Is it the same in the iOS app? You should be able to activate that again and take it back off at will. I have done that when I want to have my texts forwarded to a dumb phone.