How to use Google Voice with your FreedomPop phone

Comments

• Jean MillerJean Miller Posts: 140FreedomPop Newbie
    Nope, that's nowhere in iOS as far as I can see in settings, and that's what I don't understand. You'd think it would be.
    I like me deals and free stuff. Thx, peeps
  • Adolfo GalvanAdolfo Galvan Posts: 720FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Master, Test Role, FreedomPop Expert, FP Flyer ✭✭✭✭
    You may have to use the Gmail website to opt in on a desktop browser. That would change it for all devices: https://support.google.com/voice/answer/6023920?p=voice_sms&rd=1
  • Greg WozniakGreg Wozniak Posts: 1FreedomPop Newbie
    I've got the Samsung galaxy S3 phone from FP and I think I'm following all the directions and additions added in later comments, but it's not working for me. Can you place all the latest instructions together in a new post?
  • Adolfo GalvanAdolfo Galvan Posts: 720FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Master, Test Role, FreedomPop Expert, FP Flyer ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2014 #155

I've got the Samsung galaxy S3 phone from FP and I think I'm following all the directions and additions added in later comments, but it's not working for me. Can you place all the latest instructions together in a new post?

It all boils down to your goal:

If you want to use the FreedomPop Messaging or Free Data and Text App with your Google Voice, you need to follow the instructions on the first post.

If you want to use only Google Voice (this is what I recommend):
    First if you have not integrated Google Voice into Hangouts, do this first (if you have, skip to the next paragraph). Use the Desktop Google Voice to add the FreedomPop number to your list. Install the Hangouts, Hangouts Dialer and Google Voice apps. Setup the Google Voice app with the FreedomPop number you just set up and skip voice mail integration. Enable Google Voice/Hangouts integration (in Hangouts settings check the box for Messages). You should not need to use the Google Voice app at all after this.

In the Hangouts settings, enable incoming calls from Google Voice in Hangouts. Make sure that Hangouts Settings under SMS that SMS is disabled. If you do not have a dialer in Hangouts, you must install the Hangouts Dialer app from the Play Store.
  • JDonJDon Posts: 0FreedomPop Newbie

In the Hangouts settings, enable incoming calls from Google Voice in Hangouts. Make sure that Hangouts Settings under SMS that SMS is disabled. If you do not have a dialer in Hangouts, you must install the Hangouts Dialer app from the Play Store.

Why disable SMS? Also, how do you prevent the freedom pop dialer app from trying to answer calls. Basically an incoming GV call has the FP app and Hangouts opening saying there is an incoming call. Still testing some stuff, but basically doing all this so I can get mms messages or I'd use FP apps if they handled.
    edited December 2014 #157
    JDon said:

Why disable SMS? Also, how do you prevent the freedom pop dialer app from trying to answer calls. Basically an incoming GV call has the FP app and Hangouts opening saying there is an incoming call. Still testing some stuff, but basically doing all this so I can get mms messages or I'd use FP apps if they handled.

In the Hangouts app, when you disable SMS, it is for text messages over cellular. This is to prevent you from trying to text from the weird data only phone number.
    When I say disable SMS, I mean Settings>SMS>SMS disabled.

For the second question, I should have put this in my last post: Go back to the desktop version of Google Voice and uncheck the FreedomPop number.
  • Joanne330Joanne330 Posts: 0FreedomPop Newbie
    I just ported my MetroPCS number as my Google voice hub and added FreedomPop number because I don't want to loss my MetroPCS number. It works for voice mail as I'm actually getting email notification for each voice mail I received for the Metro number; that works great. However, I was expecting my FreedomPop phone would ring when I receive calls from Metro, it's not happening yet. My guess is that FreedomPop is not supporting forwarding calls. That is a big bummer :( I really hope that FreedomPop will soon support Forwarding. Best still, I really like to use my FreedomPop account with my old cell phone number.
  • njfulwider5njfulwider5 Posts: 10,413FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Master, Test Role, FreedomPop Expert, FreedomFan, Android Master , FP Flyer ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Joanne330‌ you should hit up @Richard Allen‌ that guy might have a new trick up his sleeves? :)

Great Tips and Trick, User Guides and How to's in my Signature-(Take a Peek)

Hope you find any post I have created helpful. Please look for my How to-s(Downgrading-100% Free) and (How to use the FreedomPop Community), or my Guides on FreedomPop Devices(Phones) and (Hotspots). Here is one on (FreedomPop Plans). Here is one on all (FreedomPop Apps). He is one on(Traveling with your GSM Global Sim?) or Common Question about the (GSM Global Sim). You can PM me anytime by clicking this link here njfulwider5. Than click the BUTTON with the (Small Envelope), to left of the word (MESSAGE). I will do my best help. Welcome to FreedomPop

• johnmjohnm Posts: 99FreedomPop Newbie

JDon said:

In the Hangouts app, when you disable SMS, it is for text messages over cellular. This is to prevent you from trying to text from the weird data only phone number.
    When I say disable SMS, I mean Settings>SMS>SMS disabled.

For the second question, I should have put this in my last post: Go back to the desktop version of Google Voice and uncheck the FreedomPop number.
    Joanne330 said:

I just ported my MetroPCS number as my Google voice hub and added FreedomPop number because I don't want to loss my MetroPCS number. It works for voice mail as I'm actually getting email notification for each voice mail I received for the Metro number; that works great. However, I was expecting my FreedomPop phone would ring when I receive calls from Metro, it's not happening yet. My guess is that FreedomPop is not supporting forwarding calls. That is a big bummer :( I really hope that FreedomPop will soon support Forwarding. Best still, I really like to use my FreedomPop account with my old cell phone number.

It should work. The first post explains how to do that and it worked for me and others here. What happens when you try to verify the FreedomPop number from the Google Voice desktop site?
  • Kelly CaseyKelly Casey Posts: 4FreedomPop Newbie
    Hey all. I'm new to this too and I just got an S3 in December. Coming over after 14+ years with virgin mobile. I'm a light user. I'm using the completely free plan. I didn't port my virgin mobile number. I'm not even sure I could have? I already gave all my contacts my new freedompop number. Now I'm learning about google voice and hangouts. Plus the fact that I can send picture texts but can't receive them with the FP messaging app. SO! I went ahead and followed all the instructions here and installed google voice, voice+(callback) Hangouts and hangouts dailer. But now my freedompop number is basically useless. Are there any third party apps that let you receive and send mms/picture messages using the FP number? Is there anyway to configure Hangouts to use the FP number? My guess is , NO. Thought I'd ask anyway. Thanks.
  • djinksdjinks Posts: 1,270FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Expert ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2015 #163
    @Kelly Casey
    Just want to confirm that I can receive and make calls with my S4 (BYOD) with both the FP Messaging app and with Hangouts Dialer. In the phone log for the other end, it properly showed the proper FreedomPop or Google Voice number for the call.

I did not install Google Voice or Voice+, just Hangouts and the Hangouts Dialer and integrated it with my Google Voice number.
  • KelitaKelita Posts: 10FreedomPop Newbie
    I am using an EVO 4G and I cannot install the Hangouts Dialer. In the Play store, it says it's not available for my device. So, what now?
    Kelita said:

I am using an EVO 4G and I cannot install the Hangouts Dialer. In the Play store, it says it's not available for my device. So, what now?

I think your only method is what I posted at the beginning and use the FreedomPop Messenger to receive calls. The dialer requires Android 4.0 and up. Of course you can root the phone and install a custom ROM that is based on 4.0 or up, but you will lose WiMAX. I have rooted many phones and that one is the most difficult I have done, so it is only for the brave.
  • KelitaKelita Posts: 10FreedomPop Newbie

Kelita said:

I think your only method is what I posted at the beginning and use the FreedomPop Messenger to receive calls. The dialer requires Android 4.0 and up. Of course you can root the phone and install a custom ROM that is based on 4.0 or up, but you will lose WiMAX. I have rooted many phones and that one is the most difficult I have done, so it is only for the brave.
    Thanks for letting me know it only works on 4.0 and up. My EVO is rooted, am running CyanogenMod on it but it's on 2.3.5 so that explains why I can't get the dialer. I'll see if I can find a ROM over 4.0. Hopefully there is still some love out there for the EVO.

edited January 2015 #167
    Kelita said:

Thanks for letting me know it only works on 4.0 and up. My EVO is rooted, am running CyanogenMod on it but it's on 2.3.5 so that explains why I can't get the dialer. I'll see if I can find a ROM over 4.0. Hopefully there is still some love out there for the EVO.

Let me know if you find a good one and if the EVO can handle Hangouts in 3G mode. I liked CM7 and just just stuck with it. WiMAX will be a moot point in a few months anyway.
  • freejerrydomfreejerrydom Posts: 0FreedomPop Newbie
    does this google voice method of outgoing/incoming call making use up my 200 minutes/month? i have the basic plan. i know the freedompop messaging app use up mins for both incoming/outgoing calls.

does this google voice method of outgoing/incoming call making use up my 200 minutes/month? i have the basic plan. i know the freedompop messaging app use up mins for both incoming/outgoing calls.

If you use Hangouts to make the calls, no. Hangouts will be making the calls using the Google Voice number. It will however use data at about 700Kb/sec. If you use the method in the original post about forwarding the Google Voice number to the FreedomPop number, then it will use the 200 minutes, but they will not charge your data usage.
    I'm using Google Voice...and now Hangouts for incoming and outgoing calls...so I'm NOT using the FP limited call minutes or limited text messages or their apps. I'm basically just using my data for everything...when not on Wifi.

However, One issue I'm having (I'm using the Samsung Galaxy S3) is a setting in Hangouts app on my phone is changing on its own and I'm not sure why. Specifically its in Hangouts app Settings, then where it lists my GV number it has a box to check next to "Incoming phone calls, Ring Hangouts for incoming phone calls made to your Google Voice number." I have this box checked but for whatever reason it becomes unchecked at some later time. Any advice?

I have this box checked but for whatever reason it becomes unchecked at some later time. Any advice?

Only thing I can think of is that the update resets it to default, but I have never had that issue with my devices. It also could be that something is clearing app data. Are you running any program that frees space on the phone?
  • Lman BizLman Biz Posts: 138FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Expert ✭✭✭
    @Greg Wozniak There is a huge bug in hangouts for it changing. You can find this issue on the google forums, and happens to a lot of people. This also happens to me too. I would hope they fix this soon, but it is a known bug.

http://tinyurl.com/l6mfcbf

Check that link.
    Lman Biz said:

@Greg Wozniak There is a huge bug in hangouts for it changing. You can find this issue on the google forums, and happens to a lot of people. This also happens to me too. I would hope they fix this soon, but it is a known bug.

http://tinyurl.com/l6mfcbf

Check that link.

Good find! I have not had that bug on my devices including my FP Galaxy Victory.
  • Nes FP-SGalaxy_S3Nes FP-SGalaxy_S3 Posts: 108FreedomPop Expert, FreedomFan ✭✭✭
    this last issue just happen to me in the last few days.. i'm not sure i was messing with the settings or it was the update to the app.. but this is my first time dealing with this issue... i'm hoping and thinking it will not happen again.
    XDA, Captain Picard, and NYC ==> All kick a$$!
    Anyone heard of any fixes to the hangouts app settings changing on their own?
  • savage9rsavage9r Posts: 0FreedomPop Newbie
    Mine is changing the setting as well, but my phone still rings when someone calls my Google number. That's the only number I have given people to call since I signed up to FP.