**Reminder** When you sign up for FreedomPop service we often offer a free trial experience for one of our plans or add-on services. Upon the end of your Trial, you will incur the regular charge for that plan or service. Please take a look at our Community post for more information regarding your recent purchase and what to expect: http://bit.ly/2xFTGWY

Received a device notification email about carrier reset

We hope you're enjoying your FreedomPop service! Our carrier partner has informed us that some customers of ours may have been effected by a frequency change they made on their network. To ensure your device is properly activated and working smoothly, please perform a carrier reset per the link below.

CLICK HERE for instructions for your specific device.
It was from [email protected], so I thought it was ok.

The link in the email lead to https://support.freedompop.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2062 , which has instructions on how to do a carrier reset for your phone. I noticed I did not have a 3g data connection anymore, and I already had my phone's MSL code so I did the reset. Upon reboot, the phone could still not connect to 3g but completed the carrier reset somehow. I then noticed the phone was assigned a real, local phone number instead of a 577/533 or somesuch data number, and was actually able to dial out and receive calls on this number.

This is weird. It can make and receive calls without freedompop's app, but there's no data service at all now. Only my evo 4g is having this issue.

Comments

• Adrian EchavarriaAdrian Echavarria Posts: 20FreedomPop Newbie
    I also tried restoring my phone back to its original state when I received it. I saved a backup from almost when I received the phone years back, restored it, and the phone actually booted back up and ran. The messaging app is version 10.01.01.0111, to give you an idea of how old this backup is.

I went ahead and tried to carrier reset again, and it went through the motions like before. The phone is still associated with the local 214 number (my fpop number is an 817, just fyi), and would still accept calls on this number, but it still does not have any data connection outside of wifi.

For fun, the old messaging app still works to make calls with my 817 fpop number, though it does not ring when calling that number. It does ring when calling the 214 number though. I'm not really worried about the app or phone itself, mostly curious as to what happened to my old evo 4g's status and how it got a real phone number.
  • Carol LewCarol Lew Posts: 63FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Expert
    edited May 2016 #3
    Looks like it's time to upgrade your Evo 4G device. I feel your frustration, which is why I'm glad I upgraded my Evo just this past month. I couldn't get 99% of calls over 3G, starting 2 weeks prior to and since Sprint killed their WiMAX service--mostly due to the poor Sprint service in my home area--and even sometimes on WiFi.

It's possible that the 214 number was previously assigned to the phone. But, it is strange that the phone would revert to an old number, especially if your FP account is still active.
    ~~~ Owns a few High Tech Computers while wearing / running a Red Hat Fedora ~~~
    Devices: HTC Evo 4G, HTC Evo 4G LTE, and other HTC devices (not under FP), MiFi 500 LTE
    Yeah, I kept the phone around because it was actually fairly reliable, and I paid like $85 back when it was first offered lol. But I don't know what to do about that new number, since it's not mine and I have no idea who would is getting billed (did a couple test calls for a couple minutes each and turned the phone off). The fpop-account is definitely active since the old fpop messaging app auto-registered fine and the couple calls I made with the app enabled showed up in my usage. Super weird.

Aside from that, I was actually getting fairly decent 3g on the old evo before this whole thing. I had an old 4.2.2 android rom on it (so no wimax anyway) and hangouts/hangouts dailer and a couple other apps I use worked okay. I'll probably get another phone to try and replace my evo on that account the next time there's a nice deal.
    It's starting to seem more like the 214 is your newly assigned VOIP number (instead of a previously assigned number like I originally thought). I would chalk it up to a weird hiccup as a result of the frequency change--and getting an extra phone number. As long as you still need the FP app to make/receive calls and text and the usage data is showing up in your account, you don't need to worry about getting any future surprise bills.
    Devices: HTC Evo 4G, HTC Evo 4G LTE, and other HTC devices (not under FP), MiFi 500 LTE
    edited May 2016 #6
    The 214 number is not voip, it's a real number associated with the phone. It can make and receive calls like any other carrier's service (it's outside fpop, does not show up in fpop's usage).

Just to continue with this, I performed the carrier reset again just now. Somehow, I got data back; 3g works like it did before! Weirder part: I still have that 214 number, and can still receive calls on it (tested it just now; like any other non-voip call).

Add: I have a suspicion that the 3g data i can access now is also not being counted against mu fpop allotment. Watched a couple youtube vids on 3g data, will see if it gets counted in a couple hours. If not, further weirdness.
    Post edited by Adrian Echavarria on
    Great to hear that you got your 3G service working. If your data usage is still not being counted, then this is definitely a synchronization issue.
    Gave it some time, did another carrier reset, and it's still hooked into that 214 number and 3g data is not being counted against me. Guessing the phone is completely out of sync with fpop now.

Who should I contact to try and get this fixed? Slightly worried that if I were to get the phone swapped out and released, it wouldn't actually be released. Not that I don't like having free service, but this thing has to be tied to someone and they'll probably get a bill they were not expecting...