GSM "voice" SIM offer: VoIP only for phone calls, or GSM too?

Todd VierlingTodd Vierling Posts: 23FreedomPop Newbie
I ordered a Data-only SIM a little while ago (still waiting for it to ship even though the shipping label was created 2.5 weeks ago). I know that can only work with voice services if they're VoIP based, and I plan to put it into a newish unlocked T-Mo Android device.

However today I noticed a promo for a "3-in-1 SIM Kit" on the freedompop.com front page, which does talk about voice calling. Is this basically the same as te Data-only SIM I ordered, requiring VoIP (of some kind) for calling, or does it allow direct GSM-originated phone calls too (in the same vein as the CDMA "Premium Voice" feature)?

If the latter, I could actually use the SIM in a low-end device as a spare phone for outbound calling, and there would be little to no data usage at all. This would be a very useful option for emergency communication, and would work in more than one country as an added bonus.

Best Answer

Answers

• limeylimey Posts: 674FreedomPop Newbie ✭✭✭
    @Todd Vierling - Last night, I ordered one of these to see how it'd be different from the data-only SIM.

If it's setup like the UK SIMs appear to be, then perhaps you will get the limited allocation of Premium Voice minutes, if you subscribe to that service. I suspect that the phone would still need to be an Android/iPhone smartphone, depending on whether the FP app is needed for authentication.

A possible wrinkle may be that Premium has been an outgoing only option - however, an option for incoming Premium Voice has recently appeared on FP phone account pages, so maybe this will soon be 2-way (according to comments in another thread, it's not functioning yet)?

Curiously, that incoming option also now appears on my OTT account, which is entirely data based, so I wouldn't place too much reliance on it for now...

BTW, If the shipping label for your data SIM was really created 2.5 weeks ago, I'd be inclined to give support a poke, as none of my orders has ever sat at that stage for more than a few days.

• Todd VierlingTodd Vierling Posts: 23FreedomPop Newbie
    There's no option for Premium Voice for the "3-in-1 SIM Kit" offer currently on the top of the fp.com front page (the "Premium Plus" bundle is conspicuously missing that component). So it looks like it's also an OTT offer, which is fine, but it confuses me as to why it's different from the "Data-only SIM" that was on offer recently. I was crossing fingers that the "3-in-1" offer just silently offered GSM voice outbound calling as well.

(Yeah, gonna contact Support about the other order; it only occurred to me as I was writing this post that it was languishing that long.)
  • limeylimey Posts: 674FreedomPop Newbie ✭✭✭

There's no option for Premium Voice for the "3-in-1 SIM Kit" offer currently on the top of the fp.com front page (the "Premium Plus" bundle is conspicuously missing that component). So it looks like it's also an OTT offer, which is fine, but it confuses me as to why it's different from the "Data-only SIM" that was on offer recently. I was crossing fingers that the "3-in-1" offer just silently offered GSM voice outbound calling as well.

(Yeah, gonna contact Support about the other order; it only occurred to me as I was writing this post that it was languishing that long.)

@Todd Vierling - like you, I thought that this would likely be an extension of the OTT setup - however, it shows the Premium Plus trial on the signup page for the current $10 offer - as I understand it, that includes Premium Voice.

Rather astoundingly, I just got a tracking # for my order, made a little over a day ago - as long as it doesn't sit around like your data SIM order appears to have done, that will be a record for any of my orders. Maybe, I'll only have a week to see whether Premium Voice actually is part of this deal...
  • Todd VierlingTodd Vierling Posts: 23FreedomPop Newbie
    No, if you look at the details for Premium Plus for the 3-in-1 SIM offer, it is conspicuously missing Premium Voice. Gotta look at the details, always...

I ordered one anyway (it's only $10), and verified on the activated account that there is no Premium Voice option, nor is it part of the Premium Plus feature (which I cancelled since it's not useful to me otherwise).
  • rkgrkg Posts: 2FreedomPop Newbie
    I also ordered one kit. I though it will work like regular sim, but not. I can not make or receive call using regular dial pad. It works through freedom pop messaging app only. Am I correct?