FreedomPop needs to have real voice call to go mainstream

Marcus SunMarcus Sun Posts: 1FreedomPop Newbie
My FreedomPop phones came last week. They are for my 14 years old kids. My hope for reasonable call quality diminishes very quickly. I am in an area with reasonable Sprint 3G signal. But call quality is really not good at all. Most of the time you cannot hear anything except your own echo. I also tried GrooveIp app using Google voice. It is much better but still not good enough. Most of the time you can hear the voice but hard to make words out of it due to sound skipping.

FreedomPop should really consider adding real voice calls from Sprint. I am willing to pay for it even at 5-10c a min. My kids mostly use the phone for texting and rarely calling. But when they do need to call in a "situation" I want them being able to call (such as 911).

I feel this should be a interesting feature: 500MB free data, 200M VoIP min and txting, and pay-per-min for real voice call.

For now, my kids have to carry the FreedomPop phone plus their dumb VirginMobile phone. The VirginMobile phone cost me $20 per 3 month. I'd rather give that $ to FreedomPop!

Comments

• shawnlgshawnlg Posts: 2FreedomPop Newbie

FreedomPop should really consider adding real voice calls from Sprint.

I agree. I wouldn't even consider using my FreedomPop phone as a reliable phone. WiMax is spotty and 3G is too slow to make reliable VoIP calls away from WiFi. I use my phone for Google Maps and other data-related things, not for calling.

I can't imaging Sprint would charge them that much for minutes. I'd like to see them have a monthly non-free plan that included 200 minutes. Maybe $10/month. I'd use them for my real phone in a heartbeat if I knew I could connect with Sprint voice.

Somehow Republic Wireless can offer an unlimited voice/text plan for $10/month that goes over the CDMA voice channel. I think they use VoIP on their backend but it's still voice on the phone's end.

I'd like to see Republic and FreedomPop merge. They both offer really good things.
  • You should be able to call 911 as a CDMA call, as that is routed regardless to CDMA. Any phone that is not activated that gets a signal can dial 911.

All calls to 911 are routed through cell towers and are not made through VoIP.
  • Coretta TurnerCoretta Turner Posts: 3FreedomPop Newbie
    shawnlg said:

FreedomPop should really consider adding real voice calls from Sprint.

I agree. I wouldn't even consider using my FreedomPop phone as a reliable phone. WiMax is spotty and 3G is too slow to make reliable VoIP calls away from WiFi. I use my phone for Google Maps and other data-related things, not for calling.
    I agree. I've had my phone two weeks of the 10 or so calls that I've made testing the phone, only one has NOT complained that it didn't sound like I was blending in the background. With that kind of feedback, I too, use it for Maps and other data-related things. I've downgraded my plan until I can get a better feel of where I will get better call quality.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 31
    edited January 2014 #6
    @Coretta- we are continuing to improve calling and messaging as we work our way through the Beta of our brand new phone service, there will be more updates for our apps that will continue to make phone calls and phone service better.
  • LukeLuke Posts: 318FreedomPop Newbie
    Taylor said:

@Coretta- we are continuing to improve calling and messaging as we work our way through the Beta of our brand new phone service, there will be more updates for our apps that will continue to make phone calls and phone service better.

Any news on calls/texts going through the cell towers? Also, all of the reps that I talked to said that the Galaxy S3 would be on BYOd by the end of January. I knew that was probably false, but please work on it.
    Wroof!
  • Taylor said:

Any news on calls/texts going through the cell towers? Also, all of the reps that I talked to said that the Galaxy S3 would be on BYOd by the end of January. I knew that was probably false, but please work on it.
    I forwarded along your feedback Luke regarding the cell towers. I'm not sure what rep you talked to but we do not have a list of future BYOD phones at this time, and we have not announced anything regrading the S3.
  • bobdolebobdole Posts: 57FreedomPop Newbie
    I'm for a plan that charge for minutes also. It's frustrating when the voice quality is bad and also you might miss calls due to the it not being true voice call and depends on apps and various android os working correctly.
    My interest in freedom pop is mostly for the free 500mb of data.
  • Tully EdsonTully Edson Posts: 3FreedomPop Newbie
    I think in the long run they will be able to make it work over VoIP. Here is why. I am currently using the Zoiper VoIP app (best VoIP client in the play store, trust me I've tried them all) to piggyback off my home VoIP system (voip.ms based.) If you set it to only use the GSM codec (heavily compressed) it works pretty well over 3G (well enough my kids don't complain when they use it.) Which means with more work to the freedompop app they can probably get it working equivalently well.
  • M.A. II LopezM.A. II Lopez Posts: 1,163FreedomPop Master, FreedomPop Expert ✭✭✭
    Folks got to remember that we are in beta stage, you can't expect everything to work the way you think it should as if you were on the big money sucking phone companies. Also I think to say that because you would pay more for something others would too is naive and streaching your wishes to others. I hope Freedompop continues to work out the glitches and continue to offer more services while keeping cost as low as possible. Thats the whole point of this company. You want to pay more, thats fine, but don't posts as if you already have the consensus of all the other members of the community.
  • chris Rogerschris Rogers Posts: 8FreedomPop Newbie
    While what you said is semi accurate Miguel, I would bet that the majority of people that use FP are strictly using data - since this is the best feature they currently have - and if they could charge a bit for actual cell minutes - it would give them a positive revenue stream - consensus or not, if they don't take in revenue, they won't be around long enough for us to "decide" if the rest of us would have wanted this - and.....if they do institute a cell minute, perhaps it could be OPTED OUT of by Miguel and others that don't see this as important. I'm on TMobile paying $50 a month for unlimited texting and voice (not VOIP) and 500MB of data - because I use this phone for my business - and because of that, I CANNOT be dependent on echoing and laggy VOIP minutes when speaking to my customers - for everyone else, I don't care if there's echo and continue to test my FP number when on 3G
  • M.A. II LopezM.A. II Lopez Posts: 1,163FreedomPop Master, FreedomPop Expert ✭✭✭
    I would agree with the "opt out" option. Its why I only have the $25 plan with metropcs, I don't need data plans as much I work in an office and they provide all the internet I need, then I go home and use it there as well if need be.

In my line of work I just don't use it or need it. Its why I am testing FP to see if it is a better and cheaper option, but its call quality at the current price I am looking for before the rest of the family will jump in.
This discussion has been closed.