**Reminder** When you sign up for FreedomPop service we often offer a free trial experience for one of our plans or add-on services. Upon the end of your Trial, you will incur the regular charge for that plan or service. Please take a look at our Community post for more information regarding your recent purchase and what to expect: http://bit.ly/2xFTGWY

Zing & SIM card

Rob 00clMiFi803 KRob 00clMiFi803 K Posts: 19FreedomPop Newbie
I have two Zing hotspots on order. While the Zing (and maybe the Mingle, too) is primarily a device for the Sprint network, I understand it also has a place for a GSM SIM-card, that could be unlocked for international while on a Sprint contract. On FreedomPop, did the device get a FreedomPop Global SIM-card? Or can it be unlocked to put a FreedomPop (or local) SIM in it? If neither is possible yet, may I suggest to make that possible, because that would be the best of both worlds.

Comments

• scdscd Posts: 35FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Expert
    I can confirm the Mingle has a sim slot with a Sprint sim card installed.
    And I'd like to know if a GSM sim can be installed too
  • Rob 00clMiFi803 KRob 00clMiFi803 K Posts: 19FreedomPop Newbie
    Ironically, they sent me a message that they 'upgraded' my Zing devices to the MiFi500, something I absolutely don't want. I waited for the Zing to become available again, because of the specs and reviews, the size, the touch screen and the SIM slot. Replacing those Zings with the MiFi500 is like ordering a well equipped sports car, and sending me a base-model pick-up truck. While they were not shipped yet, they told me I just should send them back 'if I don't like them', while I just told them I don't like them, so why going through the trouble? Pretty stupid.

My question about the SIM-slot still remains open, because I hope to get those Zing hotspots after all.
  • Will WilsonWill Wilson Posts: 14FreedomPop Newbie
    Same question. What would be required to use the Zing while traveling in UK?
    No answer so far. Both the Zing and Mingle have SIM cards/slots. Maybe even the included card lets us roam. Probably not, as that might be the original Sprint SIM. But would it be possible to put a FreedomPop Global SIM in it for international roaming?
  • scdscd Posts: 35FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Expert
    I received a Zing today and attempted to unlock it by the procedure listed here

http://www.chtglobal.com/mobility/user_guides/USER_GUIDE_Unlocking_Your_Netgear_Zing_Hotspot_for_International_Usage_20140424.pdf

However while doing the updates appeared to be doing something it finished by returning to the home screen with no other notification.
    Same with UICC unlock.

When a FP global sim is installed it still shows a warning of invalid sim installed even though strong signal bars are displayed.

I'm guessing something on the server end is preventing PRL, profile and UICC updates

@scd Thank you for the update. Did you use a SIM that was working in other devices, or a brand new one?
  • Chris ColemanChris Coleman Posts: 55FreedomPop Newbie
    @scd , Rob, and Will Wilson

@scd Thank you for the update. Did you use a SIM that was working in other devices, or a brand new one?

Same question. What would be required to use the Zing while traveling in UK?

Guys,
    I just bought a pre owned Sprint Zing Netgear AC771s hotspot from a friend. It came with no SIM card. I'll share my knowledge of this SIM issue, and finish with a question.
    1. First, LTE is a GSM service, it is not a CDMA service. Therefore, all LTE devices must take a SIM, just like every other GSM device on earth, for example, every AT&T and T-Mobile device needs a SIM. LTE is the first reason why the Sprint Netgear Zing hotspot has a SIM slot - with a Sprint SIM installed, the Zing is able to connect to Sprint's LTE towers.
    2. If you want to take the Zing while traveling - Sprint proudly advertises the Zing as awesome for travel since it's compatible with about 200 cellular networks worldwide, 3G and 2G - to travel with the Zing and use a local SIM, you have to "SIM-unlock" the hotspot, so that when you insert a non-Sprint SIM, it will accept it, read it, and try to connect to the towers with the local SIM's information. For example a 3G SIM for a UK cell network. To SIM-unlock any Sprint device, Spring wants the device to be active on the Sprint network for 6 months, after 6 months Sprint will give you the unique unlock code for the device, it's something like 6 or 8 digits, the "MSL code" (Master Subsidy Lock code), and you enter it into the device by going into the menu and typing it on the onscreen dial keypad. You may be able ask FreedomPop for the MSL code right now, so that you could SIM-unlock your Sprint Zing Netgear AC771s hotspot and it will be ready for use on your next trip with a cheap local SIM.
    3. Question: When I go to Best Buy to buy a Sprint SIM for my Zing hotspot which is required so that the hotspot can connect on Sprint's LTE network, which Sprint SIM is the one needed?? Many Sprint SIMs are available at Best Buy, and as I remember reading, only one part number, or code number printed on the SIM, will work in the Sprint Zing hotspot. If you could share that Sprint SIM part number for the Zing, I'd really appreciate it.