**Reminder** When you sign up for FreedomPop service we often offer a free trial experience for one of our plans or add-on services. Upon the end of your Trial, you will incur the regular charge for that plan or service. Please take a look at our Community post for more information regarding your recent purchase and what to expect: http://bit.ly/2xFTGWY

Hangouts with the Global SIM auto-prepends UK +44 dialing code to outgoing numbers

limeylimey FreedomPop Newbie Posts: 674 ✭✭✭
This is a follow-up to @Glen Sagers' post, but I decided to make a new topic under the Global SIM Card category, as this isn't really a FreedomPop UK issue.

I recently received a Global SIM with Voice plan & have had a few days to tinker with it. Dialing through the FP Messenger app is OK, but if you're a Hangouts user, then you may run into the issue Glen described, where Hangouts automatically prepends a UK +44 international code to outgoing numbers, either from your phone's contact list, or dialed directly.

If in the USA, a contact stored/dialed as 555-5555555 will appear/be dialed as +445555555555

It doesn't matter if you're on cellular, or on WiFi - it appears that Hangouts checks the SIM's country code (GB) vs the cellular network's country code (US in my case) and assumes that it needs to prepend the UK code to outgoing numbers. Interestingly, certain area codes (I've noted 201 & 909) instead get prepended with a 0.

Some comments in the Hangouts support group, indicated that setting the phone's Language & Input to English (US), or setting the Phone Numbers Default Country Code to United States in Gmail might resolve this for USA users, but neither worked for me.

So far, the workaround for calling domestic numbers in the US with Hangouts, is to add the +1 USA country prefix, either to the contacts list, or before dialing. Dialing a USA number with the +1 prefix works on both FP & Hangouts & is still treated like a USA domestic call. Rather than update all the USA numbers in my contacts list, I've been using an app called PrefixCaller to insert the prefix before sending the number to the dialer - seems to work well & saves another rejig of the contacts if I put a USA SIM in the phone. I'm guessing that, when in a different supported Global SIM country, you'll need to use that countries prefix for outgoing domestic calls with Hangouts/Global SIM (though, you may be better off using an FP international plan to make those calls).

Comments

• thedamianthedamian FreedomPop Newbie Posts: 41
    I found the same. adding the +1 (yes a plus and a 1) to the american number will work. Now this is the same if you had say a regular verizon or AT&T or what ever sim chip and you were in another country (which your sim thinks it is)

When I go with my T-mobile phone with a T-mobile USA phone number to another country and dial 212-555-1212 it won't dial my friend in new york. but if I dial +1-212-555-1212

so it's not a bug. It's a feature.

ALSO if you change your contacts to all have that you USA phone will also dial those numbers JUST FINE so nothing changes and we all move to a global world!
  • booniesboonies FreedomPop Newbie Posts: 20
    is it ok to just dial a 1 before the 10 digit number? i thought phones automatically add the + for you, or do i have to dial the full +1?
  • catilina517catilina517 FreedomPop Newbie Posts: 5
    Just 1 without the + doesn't work for me.
  • hp79hp79 FreedomPop Newbie Posts: 1
    I have a data only SIM and tried in my (unlocked Verizon) iPhone SE and (unlocked Verizon) Galaxy S7 Edge. None of the fixes (country and phone setting in gmail) worked for me.

The funny thing is that while on Android there's no workaround but to put +1 in the front, on an iPhone Hangout works perfectly without no need to add the +1 country code.

On another note, the freedompop SIM always receives a UK IP address. Maybe that's why things are so slow sometimes. I'm connected to att or tmobile, for one test I'm on tmobile and getting 371 ms ping, 10 Mbps down, 1.34Mbps up. Ping is terrible, but it's usable for simple internet.
  • wenqiz1989wenqiz1989 FreedomPop Newbie Posts: 5
    why get UK IP for my US SIM card? Is there a way to change that UK IP to USA IP?
  • Stephen LiaoStephen Liao FreedomPop Newbie Posts: 1
    Same problem with the UK numbers, LINE won't let me download the free stickers because it thinks I'm in the UK...
  • prakashbkprakashbk FreedomPop Newbie Posts: 1
    I was also intrigued by this behavior of adding +44 initially. Since FreedomPop using OTT (Over the Top) client app (and not native OS phone app), it is registering with UK based carrier (Three UK) for providing Global Data services. The Phone calls (and Text) from FreedomPop app are carried over over Data (3G/4G) network (Data APN, provided by FreedomPop APN which need to be configured in Cellular Data setting). That is the reason we are getting UK IP address and default UK country code. I dont think there is any way around it, other than dialing using Contacts tab in Hangout and manually adding +1