**Reminder** When you sign up for FreedomPop service we often offer a free trial experience for one of our plans or add-on services. Upon the end of your Trial, you will incur the regular charge for that plan or service. Please take a look at our Community post for more information regarding your recent purchase and what to expect: http://bit.ly/2xFTGWY

6100D is unusually slow

z003z003 Posts: 73FreedomPop Newbie
edited June 2016 in Netgear Gateway #1
issue resolved (I suppose). Based on a post from another forum, here is what I did:
#1. you need to get the msl for this device. Pm an admin on here and they will help.
#2. after you have your msl, you'll need to use ie11, or possibly chrome (firefox and ms edge won't display the info correctly)
#3. go to: 192.168.0.1 and enter your username and password (default is admin, and password)
#4. On the left hand side click on: settings then the network tab. At the bottom is a button for "advanced settings". When click it, a box pops up requesting the MSL. I made band 25 priority #1 and disabled band 26 &41 (this made a huge difference for me but ymmv)
Post edited by z003 on

Comments

• limeylimey Posts: 674FreedomPop Newbie ✭✭✭
    @z003 - Assuming that the antenna connections are all good, perhaps it's locking onto a marginal band? If you login to the 6100D's admin page & go to settings->network->status details, it should give you some more details on the cellular connection, including which band it's currently using. My unit always selects band 25 at my location, with roughly similar strength/speeds to my 803s.

If it's currently selecting a band that the 803s doesn't get, & going by your earlier post, perhaps you could deselect specific bands to force it use the same bands as the 803s?

As for the power supply, I can't speak for 0.25A, but mine has been running continuously for several months with the 0.5A one FP shipped - I too was suspicious, given the difference - but so far it seems not to have been an issue (the supply doesn't even get warm to the touch).
  • z003z003 Posts: 73FreedomPop Newbie
    I've **** down the antennas as far as they go, although I noticed the antennas that were included were different from the stock ones in the netgear info/pics. The 6100D is sprint spark capable, so... shouldn't it be able to connect to more than one band at the same time? Granted I don't really know too much about the whole sprint spark thing, only that the 803s isn't capable of it, but the 6100D is from what I've read. My basic understanding of spark vs non-spark would be the 6100D should in theory be able to get faster speeds compared to my humble 803s.
    Unfortunately I don't have the 803s with me at the moment to do side by side comparisons. Wish I had thought about that before. I don't know why I have it in my head this power adapter is the problem, only except there was a huge disparity between the stock and the one that I was sent.

oh thats funny. unbeknownst to me they apparently censor a word used to tighten something, and now it seems like I've done something rude to my antennas :D
  • limeylimey Posts: 674FreedomPop Newbie ✭✭✭
    z003 said:

oh thats funny. unbeknownst to me they apparently censor a word used to tighten something, and now it seems like I've done something rude to my antennas :D

They don't want you to scre, err, mess up your unit by overtightening the antenna's! ;)

Theoretically, spark should get higher speeds, but different bands propagate differently, depending on local conditions, so you may get better results on certain bands. From what I've read, the 6100d prioritizes the order of the bands it searches for, so perhaps it may lock onto a marginal signal, rather than choosing a better one.

I think that there may be a couple of different antenna designs that have been shipped, as the antenna on mine are a slightly different design (still blade shaped, but slanted tops, rather than the rounded ones in the pic here).

I wouldn't completely rule out the supply having some kind of effect, though my own experience has been that it seemed not to be an issue.
    It sounds like I got the same antennas as you did (flat sides w/ slanted tops). I'll be getting the 803s back tomorrow, so I'll try to do more investigation
    I think my problem is resolved, or at least I've gotten better results than before. I've updated my first post at the top with how I resolved it.

Here are a few tests that I did, but it appears that although this device can switch/prioritize between multiple bands, it is better to disable them. ultimately I got the best speeds disabling bands 26/41 and only allowing 25.

#1. 1 bar
    band 25 (priority 1)
    band 41 (priority 2)
    band 26 (priority 3)
    upload: 2.08Mbs, 4.84Mbs down

#2. fluctuated between 2-3 bars
    band 41 (priority 1)
    band 25 (priority 2)
    band 26 (priority 3)
    up: 0.92Mbs/ 2.12Mbs down

#3. fluctuated between 2-3 bars
    band 26 (priority 1)