**Reminder** When you sign up for FreedomPop service we often offer a free trial experience for one of our plans or add-on services. Upon the end of your Trial, you will incur the regular charge for that plan or service. Please take a look at our Community post for more information regarding your recent purchase and what to expect: http://bit.ly/2xFTGWY

Premium Voice Incoming: how it works, but how does this interact with the 200 minute allowance?

Todd VierlingTodd Vierling Posts: 23FreedomPop Newbie
edited June 2016 in Premium Voice Service #1
With the Android Messaging 19.x update, there's now support for incoming Premium Voice calls, which ring via CDMA direct calls rather than VoIP over data.

The way it works was easy to discover, and for others reading this thread, be aware that you do still need a data connection (and the Messaging app installed) in order to use incoming Premium Voice. The call flow is like this:
  1. Call comes in to FreedomPop phone number.
  2. FP sends Messaging an incoming call notification (via data network).
  3. Messaging responds with "please send this to Premium Voice" (via data network).
  4. FP redirects the call to go through the CDMA provider's voice network.
  5. Device's normal phone app rings directly.
If a data network is not available, steps 2 and 3 can't work, so incoming calls will either go to voicemail, or if voicemail is disabled, will get a reorder (fast busy) tone.

So in the new Messaging app, incoming Premium Voice also seems to be the new default, which is great!... except:

How does this interact with the 200 minute allowance for Premium Voice calls?
  • When the limit is hit, do calls revert to VoIP?
  • ...Or do incoming calls not count against the allowance?
(Telephony providers sometimes treat incoming calls differently than outgoing, since incoming calls actually provide a small amount of revenue due to inter-carrier termination charges.)

Answers

• Ali Ali Posts: 6,735FreedomPop Master, Test Role, iOS Master ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Todd Vierling Good question! So when you get an incoming call, it will still count towards your Premium Voice limit. However your call will hang up once you've crossed your 200 minute threshold.
  • Todd VierlingTodd Vierling Posts: 23FreedomPop Newbie
    Thanks @Ali .

So a call in progress will get cut off at the limit, that makes sense.

Now let's suppose I have already hit the 200 minute limit and a new, fresh call comes in. What happens then? Voicemail/reorder? Fallback to VoIP? (I hope it's "Fallback" because otherwise calls may go missed without the user knowing it.)
  • Chris SchavesChris Schaves Posts: 8FreedomPop Newbie
    @ Todd Vierling, so when I'm in an area that does not have a data signal and I do not have Premium Voice activated, I will not be able to send or receive calls? Thanks, Chris
  • Chris SchavesChris Schaves Posts: 8FreedomPop Newbie
    Sorry, my last question was meant for @Ali. Ali, when you do not have a WiFi or cellular data signal and do not have Premium Voice activated, will you not be able to send or receive calls? Do phone calls over cellular data eat into your monthly allotment? Thanks, Chris
  • Todd VierlingTodd Vierling Posts: 23FreedomPop Newbie
    edited June 2016 #6
    Chris, if you don't have a data connection but have Premium Voice enabled, you will be able to make outgoing calls, but incoming calls will not ring you.

(Incoming calls have to ask your Messaging app whether to send the call via VoIP in Messaging itself, or send the call via cellular voice via Incoming Premium Voice.)
  • Ivan knoxIvan knox Posts: 5FreedomPop Newbie
    This is all so confusing ..
  • silverkatsilverkat Posts: 3FreedomPop Newbie
    Please explain how to leave a personalized greeting, which is included in visual voice mail. Thank you.
  • shaecayshaecay Posts: 1FreedomPop Newbie
    I'm so confused I thought freedompop was supposed to be easy and free yet the premium voice costs $3.99 a month. If u deactivate the premium voice would I only be able to use the app and not the phone itself?