Global GSM SIM - Making Google Voice/Hangout Call Problems

Michael BlakemanMichael Blakeman Posts: 5FreedomPop Newbie
Hi, hoping somebody can point me in the right direction here. I purchased the Freedompop global GSM Sim card and installed and configured it in my old unlocked Moto G phone. Works great for data, connecting to internet etc., the GSM signal seems to have a lots less dead spots than my Sprint Freedompop phone. I did want to get phone/text capability on it and I already use Google Voice as main my cell number.

I installed the Hangouts App and the Hangouts Dialer App and linked everything up with my Google Voice number. I can send and receive SMS and MMS fine, and when I call the Google Voice number from my home phone the incoming GV call comes thru fine on the Moto G. The only problem is with making an outgoing call from the Moto G. When I go to the dialpad via Hangouts or the Hangout Dialer (both seem to take me to the same screen so I'm not sure what the difference is) it appears to attempt to make a call but hangs up after a while and does not connect. It does this both when I am on wifi or the GSM data.

I'm wondering whether behind the scenes GV is thinking it can call my phone and link me to the number that I'm am calling but then gets confused because it's a data only sim and there is no phone number? Does anybody have any ideas as to how to fix this?

As an aside I tried installing the Freedompop app to see if that dialer there would work, but it just goes into an infinite loop trying to recognize the phone. I guess there's no linkage there to associate the Sim with a phone number on their system.

Any help will be appreciated, thanks.

Comments