**Reminder** When you sign up for FreedomPop service we often offer a free trial experience for one of our plans or add-on services. Upon the end of your Trial, you will incur the regular charge for that plan or service. Please take a look at our Community post for more information regarding your recent purchase and what to expect: http://bit.ly/2xFTGWY

Premium Voice - What happens when it's not activated?

Chris SchavesChris Schaves Posts: 8FreedomPop Newbie
If I'm in an area without a cellular data signal and I have not activated Premium Voice, will I be able to send and receive calls? Do calls placed via cellular data eat into your monthly data allotment? Thanks, Chris

Comments

• JJFreedomJJFreedom Posts: 419FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Expert, FP Flyer, SD Flyers ✭✭✭
    @Chris Schaves - If you're under Wi-Fi, you will be able to place the call.
    If you're using a FreedomPop-Sprint device, it seems that the only towers your device will connect to are Data towers. So if you're not connected to a Data tower, your phone wont be connected at all, and calls will not go through, regardless of Premium Voice.

If you're using the GSM SIM, and your device connects to a non-data tower, then yes, you will need Premium Voice to send and receive calls.

Calls placed through cellular data don't exactly use up your data. They will, but it will be credited back to you automatically.
    I usually respond within 24 hours. If you need help, feel free to ask.

Also, to tag me directly, write @JJFreedom. - this way I will know when you are talking to me.
  • Chris SchavesChris Schaves Posts: 8FreedomPop Newbie
    @JJFreedom - Many thanks for back to me. So at what point does the Sprint cellular network actually kick in? Asking because it sounds like I'm SOL if I don't have a data signal.
  • JJFreedomJJFreedom Posts: 419FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Expert, FP Flyer, SD Flyers ✭✭✭
    edited June 2016 #4
    @Chris Schaves
    Well if you're at home, or somewhere near WiFi, you could connect to that to receive/send calls or texts...

If you're not you will either have a data signal, or no signal at all (there are no nondata signals for freedompop phones). Freedompop runs off of Sprint's data network, so Premier will really just help out in making the quality of the call better.

Also, to tag me directly, write @JJFreedom. - this way I will know when you are talking to me.
    @JJFreedom - Thanks again. So at no point whatsoever will my phone ever utilize the Sprint cellular network? Asking because the Premium Voice activation page says that with this service enabled, your phone will "seamlessly switch from FreedomPop voice to cellular voice."
  • Marc JosephMarc Joseph Posts: 172FreedomPop Newbie

So at no point whatsoever will my phone ever utilize the Sprint cellular network?

I don't know that that's true at all. Whenever I make a call, I first turn off both data and wifi on my phone. This forces my phone to use premium voice, and everything works fine. If I'm not using Sprint's cell network, I'd like to know exactly what I'm using when I do this, considering both data and wifi are switched off.

@Marc Joseph - When you do this, your phone is still connected to the Data Towers, it's just rerouting your call.

If your phone can't get a signal from these towers (regardless if your data is enabled or not), you will not be able to make a call.

@Chris Schaves - When You're on WiFi, you won't be using Sprint to make the call (unless you have Premium Voice).
    Whenever you're off WiFi, you will always use Sprint's Network. I'd imagine that your phone connects to the same tower for both voice and data; however, when Premium Voice is enabled, it still uses the same tower, but reroutes the call to make it higher quality and clear.

@JJFreedom - Thanks again for all your previous help. I have another question for you. My mother in law has a Verizon iPad who's paying over $65/month for a ton of data that she doesn't need. What would I need to do to get this iPad's data plan moved over to FP? Thanks!!

Chris
    @Chris Schavez
    Considering her iPad is most likely unlocked, you can buy the Global GSM SIM for her. You can buy the data-only sim by clicking here.
    It costs $4.99, and if you downgrade from the trial(s), it will come with 200 MB free every month (+ 500MB by adding friends), or you can chose from a plan I will list below.

All you will have to do is pop in the SIM card to the iPad.

Plans available for this SIM
    • 200 MB - Free Every Month
    • 1 GB - $13.99/Month
    • 2 GB - $24.99/Month
    • 3 GB - $31.99/Month
    • 4 GB - $39.99/Month

• dlfullerdlfuller Posts: 5FreedomPop Newbie
    I cannot live with the poor phone calls in my typical calling area, but originally declined the Premium Voice trial. How do I access the "Premium Voice activation page"? It does not appear in the Available Services offered.