**Reminder** When you sign up for FreedomPop service we often offer a free trial experience for one of our plans or add-on services. Upon the end of your Trial, you will incur the regular charge for that plan or service. Please take a look at our Community post for more information regarding your recent purchase and what to expect: http://bit.ly/2xFTGWY

Blu R1 HD -- Amazon's $50 Deal

David_fpDavid_fp Posts: 1FreedomPop Newbie
Amazon Prime has a $50 deal on an ad supported Blu R1 HD. Can this be made to work with FreedomPop?

According to the specs, this phone is "4G LTE plus GSM unlocked for your favorite compatible carrier or for international travel (including AT&T, T-Mobile; not compatible with Verizon or Sprint) . . . Please note that this device does not currently support the new Voice over LTE (VoLTE) solution from T-Mobile, so network coverage may be limited in some T-Mobile Extended Range LTE locations.

Comments

• Hugh TerryHugh Terry Posts: 1FreedomPop Newbie
    Blu branded phones are CDMA unfortunately.
  • adinstpadinstp Posts: 1FreedomPop Newbie

This is not correct. OP's info is accurate: Blu R1 HD is a dual SIM GSM phone that is unlocked. See Blu's product page for more info.
  • JJFreedomJJFreedom Posts: 419FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Expert, FP Flyer, SD Flyers ✭✭✭
    @David_fp - This phone will work with the FreedomPop GSM SIM card. It won't connect to any 4G LTE towers; however, it will connect to 4G HSPA+ towers (on AT&T and T-Mobile), which are still not bad speeds.
    I usually respond within 24 hours. If you need help, feel free to ask.

Also, to tag me directly, write @JJFreedom. - this way I will know when you are talking to me.
  • David EllisDavid Ellis Posts: 4FreedomPop Newbie
    Why not LTE? - an explanation would be nice.
    Spec lists LTE bands 2,4,7,12,17.
  • JJFreedomJJFreedom Posts: 419FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Expert, FP Flyer, SD Flyers ✭✭✭
    @David Ellis - FreedomPop has partnerships with GSM Networks around the globe. In order to make these possible the best offer they can get is 4G HSPA+ (which is still pretty fast).

Even though your phone may be capable of reaching LTE speeds in the USA, the SIM Card, APN settings, and/or partnerships set limits.

Also, to tag me directly, write @JJFreedom. - this way I will know when you are talking to me.
  • BenjaminRuffBenjaminRuff Posts: 1FreedomPop Newbie
    Will the Blu R1 require a sim card to be on freedompop? If so, which one should I buy?
    @BenjaminRuff - This Blu Phone is only compatible with FreedomPop GSM. You will need to buy the regular Global SIM Card

On the free plan you get:
    • 200 MB of data in at least 25 countries (+ up to 500 more MB with friends)
    • 200 Minutes of Calling
    • 500 Text Messages
    You can buy one here for 99¢

• xfoneguyxfoneguy Posts: 1FreedomPop Newbie

I'm just curious - why would anyone think these were CDMA? I've been using BLU phones for at least 6 mos - all on several different GSM carriers.
    @xfoneguy - Hugh Terry is incorrect. Blu is a company making GSM unlocked devices. I have never seen a CDMA Blu Phone.

And they are indeed compatible with FreedomPop GSM Global SIM.

• Will WilsonWill Wilson Posts: 14FreedomPop Newbie
    The Blu website specifically says about this phone: "Use your smartphone with any GSM network provider worldwide, an unlocked phone gives you freedom to easily switch to any cellular carrier with better rates or service."
  • CatherineMcClareyCatherineMcClarey Posts: 12FreedomPop Newbie
    JJFreedom said:

@BenjaminRuff - This Blu Phone is only compatible with FreedomPop GSM. You will need to buy the regular Global SIM Card

On the free plan you get:

• 200 MB of data in at least 25 countries (+ up to 500 more MB with friends)
    • 200 Minutes of Calling
    • 500 Text Messages
    You can buy one here for 99¢
    Unfortunately, the 99-cents SIM card offer was showing as "sold out" when I clicked the link today (7/20). They're instead offering a $4.99 deal which includes the Global SIM card and trials of some of the Freedompop premium services.
    I'm already a Freedompop customer on the CDMA side (with a Moto E 2015, and paying $7.99/month for the Premium Plus extras). If I were to just get the Blu R1 HD from Amazon and a compatible SIM card, could I just do a device swap and still just pay the same $7.99/month (or even downgrade, if I decide I'm not getting enough use from the Premium Plus extras)?
    If you buy the BLU R1 HD, all you have to do is buy this $4.99 (current price) SIM card. The plans aren't the same though, data is slightly more expensive I believe. The Free plan includes

200 MB of data in at least 25 countries (+ up to 500 more MB with friends)
    200 Minutes of Calling
    500 Text Messages

You should be able to swap your phone number, but not the plan. You should still be able to pay for Premium Plus extras though

• Tyler  CareweTyler Carewe Posts: 7FreedomPop Newbie
    I just set up my Blu R1 HD with the GSM SIM...working great. I just wish there was a way to know which speed network I was on at a given time. All I see is a generic cell range with a little "R" next to it showing I'm roaming. Any tips? I have no idea if I'm on HSPA, HSPA+, or Edge.
  • Blu R1 HD UserBlu R1 HD User Posts: 45FreedomPop Newbie
    With my Blu R1 HD 16G/2G Amazon Ad version , when enable T-mobile to go data plan in SIM 1 , it show 4G icon , but when enable Freedompop in SIM 2, it does not show 4G, I am not sure if this phone ever display H+ or H or E or LTE?? My connection speed MAX at 3.08Mbps down, 1.52 Mbs up. using freedompop Free Data plan.

I just set up my Blu R1 HD with the GSM SIM...working great. I just wish there was a way to know which speed network I was on at a given time. All I see is a generic cell range with a little "R" next to it showing I'm roaming. Any tips? I have no idea if I'm on HSPA, HSPA+, or Edge.

@Tyler Carewe You can download SignalCheck Lite from the Google Play App Store. This will let you see which kind of tower you're connected to and the signal strength.

With my Blu R1 HD 16G/2G Amazon Ad version , when enable T-mobile to go data plan in SIM 1 , it show 4G icon , but when enable Freedompop in SIM 2, it does not show 4G, I am not sure if this phone ever display H+ or H or E or LTE?? My connection speed MAX at 3.08Mbps down, 1.52 Mbs up. using freedompop Free Data plan.

@Blu R1 HD User - You are correct, the BLU R1 HD will only show "R" which means the device is roaming (which is necessary for the device to work). My connect speed averages around 4-6mbps downloads and 3.5mbps upload actually.

By the way, Freedompop Diag Play store app show my Freedompop connection with Blu R1 HD is "3G".

or you can use the following Blu R1 HD hidden service menu, it show both SIM connection.

If I enable t-mobile data service on SIM 1 , I see

4G icon appear top of the phone for t-mobile

Network type: HSPA,Unknown

if I enable Freedompop data service on SIM 2, I see

Network type: Unknown, HSPA,

You can try your self.
    *#*#4636#*#* – Display's Phone information, usage statistics and battery.

I got 4G icon with T-mobile, I wonder if Band 12 already enable ??
    service menu still report HSPA. insteresting.

In the service menu, we can play around the "Set Preferred network type"
    Please let us know if we can get better download or upload speed with freedompop, thanks
    Actually, when Freedompop data enabled, the service menu show

NetworkType: Unknown,HSPAP

( HSPAP AKA HSPA+)

edited July 2016 #20
    @JJFreedom Thanks for heads up. I had already found an app called Network Type Indicator that puts an icon in the notification bar telling you what network you are on (H, H+, E, etc). As an added bonus, it keeps a notification on the lock screen as well which disables the full screen ads on the R1! Nice little bonus if you ask me!
    Post edited by Tyler Carewe on

...you can use the following Blu R1 HD hidden service menu, it show both SIM connection.
    You can try your self.
    *#*#4636#*#* – Display's Phone information, usage statistics and battery.

Yes, That setting will display the Network information; however, changing some of those settings could result in a phone-network failure, or error that may require you to completely reset your phone.

I got 4G icon with T-mobile, I wonder if Band 12 already enable ??
    service menu still report HSPA. insteresting.

In the service menu, we can play around the "Set Preferred network type"
    Please let us know if we can get better download or upload speed with freedompop, thanks

Band 12 has not yet been released through a promised update. I wouldn't play around with the "Set Preferred network type" settings, as it will only connect you to lower-grade towers. Setting it to LTE, still won't connect you to LTE towers because it's not included in FreedomPop coverage.

FreedomPop speeds on 4G HSPA/HSPA+ usually average around 3-8 mbps download, if it doesn't reach those speeds, you may be in an area with really heavy traffic.

• CatherineMcClareyCatherineMcClarey Posts: 12FreedomPop Newbie
    Would accrued carryover data from Premium Plus on the CDMA side transfer if one were to do a device swap to a BLU R1 HD on FreedomPop's GSM side? (This would be just over 4GB of accrued data in my case.)
    Dear JJFreedom, Are we talking about VoLTE , that Blu promise to deliver this BLU R1 phone that can work with T-mobile carrier, but I am not clear to me that Freedompop customer can make use of either Voice of LTE or Data over LTE yet?? Any idea?? if Band 12 can help this BLU R1 HD get better Freedompop Voice or Data single?
    Please advise.

I see the following info from this URL -> http://www.spectrumgateway.com/compatible-phones

Under investigation: the following phones may support VoLTE on T-Mobile network however the manufacturers have not made it clear:

BLU R1 HD (ships with band 12 disabled, but the manufacturer promises a future update to enable it. If you own this phone and it happens, please make an announcement as described below)
    @JJFreedom I have another question. When I go in to my network settings, there is an option to select network organizer. There are a bunch of options (Freedompop 2G, Freedompop 3G, etc). Should i just be letting the phone automatically select these, or should I manually select one? There are always two 4G options, but I don't know which one is AT&T or T-Mobile. If I select the automatic option, will it just keep selecting the strongest signal?
  • jkibbejkibbe Posts: 3FreedomPop Newbie
    Since there are two SIM slots, is there any way to run freedompop and Ting side by side?

Dear JJFreedom, Are we talking about VoLTE , that Blu promise to deliver this BLU R1 phone that can work with T-mobile carrier, but I am not clear to me that Freedompop customer can make use of either Voice of LTE or Data over LTE yet?? Any idea?? if Band 12 can help this BLU R1 HD get better Freedompop Voice or Data single?
    Please advise.

I see the following info from this URL -> http://www.spectrumgateway.com/compatible-phones

Under investigation: the following phones may support VoLTE on T-Mobile network however the manufacturers have not made it clear:

BLU R1 HD (ships with band 12 disabled, but the manufacturer promises a future update to enable it. If you own this phone and it happens, please make an announcement as described below)

FreedomPop doesn't use 4G LTE. It uses 4G HSPA/HSPA+ (with speeds averaged around 2-8mbps). Therefore, since the phone will not connect to 4G LTE towers, VoLTE is not necessary.
    Having a phone with Band 12 will not benefit your coverage or service with FreedomPop. Please see my previous comments above.

@JJFreedom I have another question. When I go in to my network settings, there is an option to select network organizer. There are a bunch of options (Freedompop 2G, Freedompop 3G, etc). Should i just be letting the phone automatically select these, or should I manually select one? There are always two 4G options, but I don't know which one is AT&T or T-Mobile. If I select the automatic option, will it just keep selecting the strongest signal?

For best service and coverage, select Automatic. If it works fine, I wouldn't mess with the settings. If you want to see which tower you're connected to, download SignalChecker Lite.
    jkibbe said:

Since there are two SIM slots, is there any way to run freedompop and Ting side by side?

If you intend to use Ting GSM, then they should work together. However, you will have to use two different SMS programs.