**Reminder** When you sign up for FreedomPop service we often offer a free trial experience for one of our plans or add-on services. Upon the end of your Trial, you will incur the regular charge for that plan or service. Please take a look at our Community post for more information regarding your recent purchase and what to expect: http://bit.ly/2xFTGWY

Data usage for calls is more than 'Phone Call Data Credit'

jpt702jpt702 FreedomPop Newbie Posts: 1
Although I have blocked all applications from using data, the data usage during a call is more than the 'Phone Call Data Credit' that freedompop gives. Looks like a bug to me. I used 'Opera Max' VPN tool to figure out who is using the data and all data is used by 'Freedompop Messenger'. Looks like a bug or deliberate way of draining customer's data..!
Look at the below usage history from freedompop account 9-5 = 4MB is drained as part of the call..

Date Time Source Data Used
Aug 1, 2016 9:48 PM Plan Usage 9 MB
Aug 1, 2016 9:48 PM Phone Call Data Credit ⁺ 5 MB
Tagged:

Comments

• Don DeeDon Dee FreedomPop Newbie Posts: 3
    At least you're getting some credits back. I have not seen a single credit yet after almost 1 week of use.
  • jaclin_1jaclin_1 FreedomPop Newbie Posts: 2
    2 weeks ago my every time I leave the house, my phone uses data like crazy, ever though I'm not using the cell phone. I have now idea what has caused this. Needless to say, I'm on the free program, and have already been charged $15.00. Where do I go to get help? I sent in one ticket, but still no help.
  • AJAAJA FreedomPop Newbie Posts: 1
    I have the same questions. Why is my phone using data from Freedompop when my phone is hooked up to wifi? Also noticed I am being charged data but no credit when the phone is used as a phone. Freedompop is getting worse than better.
  • ZurfingKleanZurfingKlean FreedomPop Newbie Posts: 4
    Did any of you ever figure this out? I am just curious. I am still waiting for the sim card to arrive and I realize that FP is just a data service that uses sip but if the sip uses data then it probably wouldn't make any sense to give someone 200 mins and 200mb of data as sip is data, so I was confused. Now I see that your supposed to get data credit back for the calls but somehow the rounding mechanism is doubling the data usage vs actual usage?
    It seems like they revealed that they are rounding data up by accident.
  • Joseph W BieleckiJoseph W Bielecki FreedomPop Newbie Posts: 1
    Yes I seem to have this same problem for the iphone 5 my daughter uses. Even when she is connected to wifi the phone uses data. What is going on?
    My daughter does not use the FP messenger much. Usually Iphone messanger and again connected to wifi.
    Help FP??
  • Mary  PMary P FreedomPop Newbie Posts: 4
    I don't have WiFi, so all calls are made using data. I was getting data credit for the calls, but for a few months now, I haven't gotten any data credit at all. Has Freedom Pop changed their policy?
  • JTranJTran FreedomPop Newbie Posts: 3
    Not sure if they have changed their policy, but I just question them on my data usage for phone calls. The messaging app used up 761 MB of my data and looking at the data monitor, the apk had big data spikes during my calls. All support said is that the account is operating correctly and that this is a voip phone. so some data usage is expected.

I don't think this level of usage is considered usual usage. I have the LTE sim and not seeing the value of using this as a phone if this is the usage.
  • AlejandraGAlejandraG FreedomPop Newbie Posts: 4,816 admin
    JTran said:

Not sure if they have changed their policy, but I just question them on my data usage for phone calls. The messaging app used up 761 MB of my data and looking at the data monitor, the apk had big data spikes during my calls. All support said is that the account is operating correctly and that this is a voip phone. so some data usage is expected.

I don't think this level of usage is considered usual usage. I have the LTE sim and not seeing the value of using this as a phone if this is the usage.

As a VOIP all your calls and texts will take via Wifi. Just keep that in mind and monitor your data at your online FP profile, instead of using your device's monitoring app.
    Most if not all smartphones are set up by default to use cellular instead of data connections, for calls and texts but since we always use data, you have to monitor usage with our page instead, which is able to tell the difference.
This discussion has been closed.