**Reminder** When you sign up for FreedomPop service we often offer a free trial experience for one of our plans or add-on services. Upon the end of your Trial, you will incur the regular charge for that plan or service. Please take a look at our Community post for more information regarding your recent purchase and what to expect: http://bit.ly/2xFTGWY

Traveling with your GSM Global Phone Sim!

njfulwider5njfulwider5 FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Master, Test Role, FreedomPop Expert, FreedomFan, Android Master , FP Flyer Posts: 10,413 ✭✭✭✭✭
Taking your phone to another country and using it to call locally can be a tricky. Most Members don't really understand what they can do with a GSM Global Sim and what they can't when traveling. I am hoping in this post to help clarify any questions.

Currently you purchase a GSM sim and it only comes with a Trial Version of Unlimited Talk and Text, 1Gb Global Data. Most users will downgrade to the 100% Free Plan HERE.

Once Downgraded, you get 200 Voice, 500 Text and 200 mbs Free Global Data (not 500 mbs, which is only CDMA Data).

Taking the Phone with a GSM sim to another Country that is supported and you can use the sim, just like you do here in the States. Same with ES and UK, if you decide to take outside your country. Calling and Texting will only work from the country you are located. So for example, if I visited UK. I could call home and home could call me, with no extra international charges. It would be just like visiting another state in the country you live. This could come in handy if you travel allot and you don't want to pay international charges for calling home. It will still use Data, Text and Voice when you use in another country.

The Phone will find a local Cell Tower as soon as you step off the plane. Sometimes, you have to reset the phone, but is should work just like it would when traveling in your own country. FreedomPop Data charges still apply and it is recommended to still connect to Wi-Fi any chance you can to save on your allotted Data.

If you decide that you want to call the supported country you visit, you have to upgrade or add the International Services located HERE.

Or Open your FreedomPop account. On the Tabs at the top you will see “HOME--MY ACCOUNT--BILLING--EARN FREE--SHARE DATA--SUPPORT" Click "MY ACCOUNT", and you will see a drop down Menu. Click "INTERNATIONAL". After you log into your FreedomPop Account online.

Here are the Plans you can add-

Global Free 100
see details
Talk: 100 Minutes
Coverage: Includes Mexico, UK, Canada, India, and over 50 other countries
Price: $0.00/Month

Global Plus 300
see details
Talk: 300 Minutes
Price: $4.99/mo

Global Pro 1000
see details
Talk: 1000 Minutes
Price: $9.99/mo

If you would like anybody from the country you visit to call your phone, you would need to add this Service-

Global Virtual Number
see details
Allow your friends and family in Mexico and over 25 other countries to call your US number for free.
Price: $4.99/mo

Say you decide to add the Global 100 Plan for Free. Your account will change on the home page, giving you another bar that says "Global Free 100 - 100 Minutes. Now the Sim you have will have 200 US Voice Minutes, 500 US Text, 100 Global Voice Minutes and 200 MBs Global GSM Data. Now you can call Home and Home Can call you using the 200 US Voice Minutes, and you can call the supported Country using the 100 Global Voice Minutes. Unfortunately, this is only outgoing and currently there is no International Texting. To change the Global Voice to include incoming, you have to purchase the Global Virtual Number for $4.99/mo. You will Get a Email Confirmation from FreedomPop with all the details.

Once you add a Global Plan and the Global Virtual Number, you can make calls home and home can call you. Than you can also make calls in the supported country and they can call you. Without any of the International Plan, You could get calls from the country you visit, but International charges may apply based on the Carrier that person uses to call you.

So if you decide that you are traveling and you want to use the phone to call locally, or maybe you have friends or family there that need to call you in that country. Make sure you add the International Plans and a Global Virtual Number.

Say you and your friend travel together, and you both have FreedomPop Global Sims in your phone. You could call/Text each other Free using the Data and the FreedomPop messaging app. Will Not count on your allotted limits Voice, and Text. No need for the international plan, unless you plan on calling the country you visit.

Say your traveling and you only want to use the phone to call home and would like to keep your line open for incoming calls from your country. No need for the international plan, unless you plan on calling the country you visit.

These are the Supported Countries;

Austria, France, Netherlands, Sweden, Belgium , Germany , Norway, Switzerland, Bulgaria, Greece, Poland, UK, Croatia, Hungary, Portugal, USA, Czech Republic, Ireland , Romania, Denmark, Italy, Slovakia, Finland, Luxembourg, Spain.

"Coming Soon"-Supported Countries (not supported yet);

Bangladesh, Philippines, Mexico, Brazil, Russia, Hong Kong, Singapore, India, South Africa, Indonesia, Thailand, Malaysia, Vietnam.

If you decide to add the Basic WhatsApp, than the Free Plan changes to 100 Voice, 100 Text and 200 mbs of GSM Data. Bellow is how to use WhatsApp(FAQ) with your Android, Iphone, BlackBerry 10 and Windows Phone.

WhatsApp Windows HERE-

WhatsApp Iphone HERE-

WhatsApp Android HERE-

WhatsApp Blackberry 10 HERE-

Great Tips and Trick, User Guides and How to's in my Signature-(Take a Peek)

Hope you find any post I have created helpful. Please look for my How to-s(Downgrading-100% Free) and (How to use the FreedomPop Community), or my Guides on FreedomPop Devices(Phones) and (Hotspots). Here is one on (FreedomPop Plans). Here is one on all (FreedomPop Apps). He is one on(Traveling with your GSM Global Sim?) or Common Question about the (GSM Global Sim). You can PM me anytime by clicking this link here njfulwider5. Than click the BUTTON with the (Small Envelope), to left of the word (MESSAGE). I will do my best help. Welcome to FreedomPop

Tagged:

Comments

• ADABOBADABOB FreedomPop Newbie Posts: 2
    What about using this SIM (Global Sim) as they call it for DATA? I want internet service when I travel in Germany. Can I add global services to the exisit SIM card I have with my LG Volt phone? This stuff is hard to find on my account page at FreedomPop
  • ADABOBADABOB FreedomPop Newbie Posts: 2
    FREE, what about this $27.98 every month we must agree to?
    100% TALK, TEXT and DATA are at the page but what about this $27.98 charge each month?

The other issue here is the add says FREE global services but then in the fine print when activating it states:
    By clicking Activate, you agree to pay the amount Due Today. Your FreedomPop service will not begin until your device ships. Your subscription includes a 30-day free service trial. At the conclusion of your free trial, your service will automatically renew at the rate provided. You also authorize FreedomPop to charge $27.98 every month for continued service. Cancel or downgrade at any time.
  • Marguel GutierrezMarguel Gutierrez FreedomPop Newbie Posts: 1
    @njfulwider5 If I have a whatsapp plan will I will be able to use whatsapp outside the US?
  • alvarete85alvarete85 FreedomPop Newbie Posts: 4
    Hi, I live in Spain and I will go to USA next week. I have a freedompop SIM with the basic 100% free plan. I would like to use internet in USA and call to USA pohone numbers?? What should I do to configure my account?? thanks!!
  • rohnrohn FreedomPop Newbie Posts: 1
    You probably don't answer, once your article is published! I find it Amazing that FP is not even looking at Japan. It is no wonder that many engineer's over there find America so backward. I'm going to Japan in February and I suppose the best option is to get a burner phone over there. Maybe by the time the Olympics begins, Freedom Pops will be thinking about it.
  • SeadudeSeadude FreedomPop Newbie Posts: 4
    The global sim doesn't work with Canada tower. Canada is not in the list of the countries that global sim supported.
  • Yves RemediosYves Remedios FreedomPop Newbie Posts: 5
    It is unclear whether India is included as the website says it's coming soon whereas in other places it seems to be available.
  • George NezlekGeorge Nezlek FreedomPop Newbie Posts: 4
    NOT EXACTLY. You might want to compare your list of "supported countries" with the drop down list of countries ACTUALLY available for Global Virtual Numbers. I WISH, HOPE, and PRAY that the list of supported countries will soon reflect what is actually available since this is one of the best cell phone related ideas for international travel to come down the pipe in a long while.
  • ultrasoulultrasoul FreedomPop Newbie Posts: 17
    It is now may 2017. Does coming soon support in South East Asian countries mean 2020? FreedomPop has been advertising coming soon for these countries the past 2 years now
  • jfchanjfchan FreedomPop Newbie Posts: 10
    ultrasoul said:

It is now may 2017. Does coming soon support in South East Asian countries mean 2020? FreedomPop has been advertising coming soon for these countries the past 2 years now

That's a very good question. I've been trying to get the same question answered by FP for more than the past year now, and simply get fobbed off every time. And now of course, they don't appear to be selling the Global SIM cards anymore, and the FP web pages relating to the Global SIM features/countries have been taken down/disappeared (I know because I had bookmarked them, and my bookmarks now lead to dead pages).

Overall, those details taken together seem to be a pretty good sign that whatever was promised as "Coming Soon" probably has been canceled somewhere along the way. But for some reason, FP doesn't seem willing to publicly admit that.
  • JJFreedomJJFreedom FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Expert, FP Flyer, SD Flyers Posts: 411 ✭✭✭
    jfchan said:

Overall, those details taken together seem to be a pretty good sign that whatever was promised as "Coming Soon" probably has been canceled somewhere along the way. But for some reason, FP doesn't seem willing to publicly admit that.

@jfchan - While the pages weren't updated themselves, a few people were able to receive service in a few areas in Mexico or Canada. Even though there's not an official update, it seems very likely that a few countries have indeed been added.
    I usually respond within 24 hours. If you need help, feel free to ask.

Also, to tag me directly, write @JJFreedom. - this way I will know when you are talking to me.
  • jfchanjfchan FreedomPop Newbie Posts: 10
    @JJFreedom Re your comment above, the main areas of additional promised FP international service, perhaps you might call them the second wave of countries, were mostly supposed to be in the SE Asia region. Those are the ones that had been listed as "coming soon" for more than the past year--until FP took down all the web pages relating to the Global SIM service. And to this day, NADA for any of those promised SE Asia countries.