**Reminder** When you sign up for FreedomPop service we often offer a free trial experience for one of our plans or add-on services. Upon the end of your Trial, you will incur the regular charge for that plan or service. Please take a look at our Community post for more information regarding your recent purchase and what to expect: http://bit.ly/2xFTGWY

2 Moto E's and no connection!

kerstuffkerstuff FreedomPop Newbie Posts: 630 ✭✭✭
Newbie here to FP. I purchased 2 Moto E phones from FreedomPop. I have checked every setting on both phones and can NOT get them to connect on cell service. I have preformed the updates to Profile and PRL on both phones. I can get full signal bars but they may be AT&T, US Cellular or Verizon. Sprint is very spotty here on the Mountain I live on but no matter were I go outside can I connect. The phones will call out and receive on WiFi with no problems. They will text as well and receive texts on Wifi but cellular, nada!! Of course both phones came with the free service items but I have downgraded one of the phones. Could someone point me in the right direction?

Comments

• GSM3 FreedomGSM3 Freedom FreedomPop Newbie Posts: 31
    @kerstuff
    I have the Moto E, too. We started with FP a few years ago just using a 3G hotspot, so I have a LITTLE experience, but still a novice. The hotspot has worked very well for us once we learned the ropes with FP. Here are a few thoughts that may (or may not) help.

The signal bars will only be for the provider used by FreedomPop. Until very recently that was only Sprint. They have something new going with AT&T but I haven't seen any details on how that works. We have good AT&T svc in our area, but I haven't seen any improvement on my FP phone.

We also have very spotty/poor Sprint coverage regardless of what the coverage map shows. I have to set the Moto E to use 3G alone. Have you done that yet? When I do that, and turn off the WiFi connection (or go to a place where I don't have a wifi connection) I see 3G at the top of the phone's screen. Do you?

When I'm using 3G and have full bars, and I don't have Premium Voice, a screen pops up telling me I have a weak signal. When I get past that the call usually goes thru but I usually have a poor connection. Sometimes I have to try more than once to get thru. Even with full bars. This is an issue I'm trying to work out with the support folks.

Best of luck solving your issues.
  • kerstuffkerstuff FreedomPop Newbie Posts: 630 ✭✭✭
    Good info. I have the setting at automatic. I thought it would default to the correct setting. I will try this info tomorrow and let you know the results. BTW, I've never seen 3g on this phone. Again thanks.
  • Rich Sias (16th)Rich Sias (16th) FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Master, FreedomPop Expert Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If some of you are still checking for more comments, I have a few to add.
    The full bars refer to the 2G signal that FreedomPop generally does not use. Premium Voice does use it.
    I think the FreedomPop Diagnostics does show a signal strength indication that may actually be related to the 3G or highspeed channel used. Strong, moderate, weak, etc.

On Sprint with 4G LTE and it is on weaker side, the other party complains that your voice is breaking up badly. Meanwhile his voice sounds great ! This is the difference between the download and upload speeds. When LTE gets weaker the upload speed falls off really awful. Way below 1 Mbps, sometimes 0.01 Mbps which is slower than the old dial up speeds. BUT the biggest irritation is it wont release to 3G which can perform better overall. When it gets weak enough, it will finally switch to 3G.
    So there is a gap where LTE is too weak to work with upload speeds but still strong enough to not drop back to 3G. That is why locking to 3G only can give a better experience in some weaker areas of LTE.
    Be my Valentine ZTE, Victory, LG Volt, 803S, & 4 SIMs
  • GSM3 FreedomGSM3 Freedom FreedomPop Newbie Posts: 31
    Here's what I see on a Moto E that doesn't use Premium Voice in an area with poor 4G svc. So it's set to CDMA only. Notice the bars are only about half, and it says 3G.

I looked at the Freedompop Diagnostics as @Rich Sias (16th) mentioned. It's says Network Strength is GREAT. But if I were to try to make a call, it would be very poor quality.

Is there any other screen that might provide signal strength information for 3G? I'm curious to fill in the gaps in my knowledge.

@kerstuff this is for you, too.
  • njfulwider5njfulwider5 FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Master, Test Role, FreedomPop Expert, FreedomFan, Android Master , FP Flyer Posts: 10,413 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here's what I see on a Moto E that doesn't use Premium Voice in an area with poor 4G svc. So it's set to CDMA only. Notice the bars are only about half, and it says 3G.

I looked at the Freedompop Diagnostics as @Rich Sias (16th) mentioned. It's says Network Strength is GREAT. But if I were to try to make a call, it would be very poor quality.

Is there any other screen that might provide signal strength information for 3G? I'm curious to fill in the gaps in my knowledge.

@kerstuff this is for you, too.

@GSM3 Freedom

Premium Voice only comes on when the 3G Strength is -100 dBm to -160dBm, and anything over -99dBm to -60dBm will use The FreedomPop VOIP app. Most users would think the Bars have a say, but the bars, just tell you the signal of the Tower to your phone. But it most cases, the stronger the signal the stronger the strength. But on many occasions, I have had 2 bars and under -99dMbs(strong Data Strength). I like to use an app called "Network Signal Info" by KaLbiTs, to test, Premium Voice. Has a pretty neat gas gauge I like to use in my home to determin where I get the strongest Strength.

Hope this helps.,
    NJ

PS- when using the app, I only pay attention to the dBm, and on the other screen the towers(but you have to have the paid version for the towers)

Great Tips and Trick, User Guides and How to's in my Signature-(Take a Peek)

Hope you find any post I have created helpful. Please look for my How to-s(Downgrading-100% Free) and (How to use the FreedomPop Community), or my Guides on FreedomPop Devices(Phones) and (Hotspots). Here is one on (FreedomPop Plans). Here is one on all (FreedomPop Apps). He is one on(Traveling with your GSM Global Sim?) or Common Question about the (GSM Global Sim). You can PM me anytime by clicking this link here njfulwider5. Than click the BUTTON with the (Small Envelope), to left of the word (MESSAGE). I will do my best help. Welcome to FreedomPop

• kerstuffkerstuff FreedomPop Newbie Posts: 630 ✭✭✭
    After a few tweaks mentioned I am now getting the 3G and LTE to appear at the top of the screen now on the Moto E. I am curious how this is going to work out when I travel off the mountain I live on and go to the stronger Sprint coverage areas. I will report back and appreciate everyones input.