How can I get on the mobile data network with a phone I brought over from Verizon?

JMH3JMH3 Posts: 30FreedomPop Newbie
Hi All, I am hoping someone can help me with this issue. I recently switched carriers from Straight Talk to FP, did the BYOD thing and installed the FP SIM card. I can make/receive calls, etc. as long as I have WIFI but I am unable to get connected to the Mobile DATA network in my area. This particular device was originally purchased from Verizon, then I did the BYOD thing and ported my # to ST, no problems at all. I have not been able to change the APN because it's grayed out. I spoke with a Verizon Tech and after a bit of research they told me I may not be able to use the device on the FP DATA Network. So I got to thinking perhaps the SIM card FP sent me is for a GSM device and this is a CDMA device. Could that be part of the problem? Thanks for any input!!!

Best Answer

Answers

• Ali Ali Posts: 6,705FreedomPop Master, Test Role, iOS Master ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @JMH3! We'd like to sincerely apologize for any issues you're experiencing with your service. May I ask what your specific handset is? This way I can take a look at what could cause your phone to not like the FreedomPop network.

Regarding the CDMA and GSM question, FreedomPop does operate both GSM and CDMA in the United States. However the CDMA portion is on the Sprint network.
  • JMH3JMH3 Posts: 30FreedomPop Newbie
    edited January 2017 #4
    Hi Ali,

The phone is a Samsung Galaxy S3 Mini, IMEI [redacted]
    Here is the Verizon site with info on this model: http://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/cell-phones/SM-G730VMBAVZW-specs

Thanks for your help!!!
    Post edited by Ali on
  • JMH3JMH3 Posts: 30FreedomPop Newbie
    Hi Ali,

I figured as much.
    I already purchased a new Moto E 2nd Gen from FP and got it setup and ported my old # to it. Then FP put a # on the old phone for me.

Many Thanks!
  • Ali Ali Posts: 6,705FreedomPop Master, Test Role, iOS Master ✭✭✭✭✭
    @JMH3 Always a pleasure, feel free to let me know if I can be of any assistance!
  • AZKelBelAZKelBel Posts: 2FreedomPop Newbie
    I am having the same problem with my unlocked Galaxy S7. Any idea why?