**Reminder** When you sign up for FreedomPop service we often offer a free trial experience for one of our plans or add-on services. Upon the end of your Trial, you will incur the regular charge for that plan or service. Please take a look at our Community post for more information regarding your recent purchase and what to expect: http://bit.ly/2xFTGWY

Number "unknown" no service

LokifishLokifish Posts: 4FreedomPop Newbie
Let start with this, I'm a former cellular tech so I know my way around a phone

Product- FreedomPop GSM 4G SIM
Device- Multiple carrier unlocked GSM Android devices running 5.1 (all BYOD)
Carrier/Bands support- verified as working with AT&T SIM
APN- fp.com.attz

Issue- "My Phone Number" shows as "Unknown" on all devices tested
Attempts to resolve-
  1. Reboot
  2. Factory reset
  3. Radio reset
  4. Try different devices
Results- Device show as connected but phone number shows as "unknown" in Settings > About > Status > SIM Status

Additional steps taken-
  1. Waited 24hrs as some devices or networks have registration lag, number still show as unknown
  2. Searched forum for similar issue but no thread has an "it worked" for any recommended fix.
  3. Read one suggestion of manually entering number, that requires rooting the device so not an option
  4. Read one thread talking about BYOD activation fee but thread only discusses CDMA devices and there is no "activation" option in my FreedomPop account settings
  5. Searched Google with same or similar results

So, what's the solution when all standard methods fail?

Comments

• Lokifish said:

Let start with this, I'm a former cellular tech so I know my way around a phone

Product- FreedomPop GSM 4G SIM
    Device- Multiple carrier unlocked GSM Android devices running 5.1 (all BYOD)
    Carrier/Bands support- verified as working with AT&T SIM
    APN- fp.com.attz

Issue- "My Phone Number" shows as "Unknown" on all devices tested
    Attempts to resolve-

1. Reboot
    2. Factory reset
    3. Radio reset
    4. Try different devices
    Results- Device show as connected but phone number shows as "unknown" in Settings > About > Status > SIM Status

Additional steps taken-
    1. Waited 24hrs as some devices or networks have registration lag, number still show as unknown
    2. Searched forum for similar issue but no thread has an "it worked" for any recommended fix.
    3. Read one suggestion of manually entering number, that requires rooting the device so not an option
    4. Read one thread talking about BYOD activation fee but thread only discusses CDMA devices and there is no "activation" option in my FreedomPop account settings
    5. Searched Google with same or similar results

So, what's the solution when all standard methods fail?
    Hello,

I can see that you do not have the messaging app downloaded, so please install the FreedomPop messaging app. As long as the correct number is shown on the messaging app then everything is set right, you will need to use our app to make calls and texts.
  • LokifishLokifish Posts: 4FreedomPop Newbie
    Karina said:

Hello,

I can see that you do not have the messaging app downloaded, so please install the FreedomPop messaging app. As long as the correct number is shown on the messaging app then everything is set right, you will need to use our app to make calls and texts.

Then that creates a whole new set of issues With apn added and selected, data set to roam (as specified here in the forum), the app fails to install on 9 different devices tested. Doesn't matter if it's through the Play Store or from the downloaded apk.

Note
    The SIM is also not compatible with the LG Urbane LTE 2nd Edition as manual apn entry is not possible.