**Reminder** When you sign up for FreedomPop service we often offer a free trial experience for one of our plans or add-on services. Upon the end of your Trial, you will incur the regular charge for that plan or service. Please take a look at our Community post for more information regarding your recent purchase and what to expect: http://bit.ly/2xFTGWY

S4 is hung on boot

insane66insane66 FreedomPop Newbie Posts: 3
So I got my son a S4 for Christmas, it seemed to be working fine before I wrapped it up, though I just turned it on, activated, made a call, and turned it off.
Wrapped it up for the big day.
My son gets it out of the package, turns it on, puts it in his pocket.
Over the next week he complains that the phone turns off all the time.
I check it, charge it, turn it on work with it a minute and it turns itself off. Repeat about a dozen times, and I assume it needs a new battery.
New battery finally comes from Amazon on 1/11/17. (It got stuck in transit in winter weather apparently)

I install new battery, boot up, put on charge to 100%. Take it off charge and within 3 minutes it shuts off.
I get it back on (It wouldn't just turn back on), stays on about 10 minutes and shuts off.

I do a factory wipe/reset.

Now on boot I get the Freedom Pop logo with moving white ball, I left it over night for 7 hours. Still the same screen when I got up.
Power off, change chargers, turn on and Freedom Pop logo with moving white ball again for the past 7ish hours.

What do I do now?

Answers

• Ryan Radford 2Ryan Radford 2 FreedomPop Newbie Posts: 633 ✭✭✭
    You should use kies to restore the phone to stack and reinstall the fp apps.
    Want a free lte sim? Message me and ill give you a credit card to purchase it!

Common issues related to FreedomPop Devices:
    https://forums.freedompop.com/discussion/10896/battery-issues-please-read-this#latest

If you are having trouble with the FreedomPop messaging app registering, always try uninstalling it and then reinstalling it. If that doesn't work download push notification fixer (no root) from the play store. make sure both intervals are set to 5 minutes and click apply.

I don't work for FreedomPop
  • insane66insane66 FreedomPop Newbie Posts: 3
    Where do I go about getting the fp rom to restore it with? or any other rom?
    I got the phone from Freedom Pop, so imply I have quite a bit of knowledge by saying to use kies and restore to stock.
  • njfulwider5njfulwider5 FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Master, Test Role, FreedomPop Expert, FreedomFan, Android Master , FP Flyer Posts: 10,413 ✭✭✭✭✭
    insane66 said:

So I got my son a S4 for Christmas, it seemed to be working fine before I wrapped it up, though I just turned it on, activated, made a call, and turned it off.
    Wrapped it up for the big day.
    My son gets it out of the package, turns it on, puts it in his pocket.
    Over the next week he complains that the phone turns off all the time.
    I check it, charge it, turn it on work with it a minute and it turns itself off. Repeat about a dozen times, and I assume it needs a new battery.
    New battery finally comes from Amazon on 1/11/17. (It got stuck in transit in winter weather apparently)

I install new battery, boot up, put on charge to 100%. Take it off charge and within 3 minutes it shuts off.
    I get it back on (It wouldn't just turn back on), stays on about 10 minutes and shuts off.

I do a factory wipe/reset.

Now on boot I get the Freedom Pop logo with moving white ball, I left it over night for 7 hours. Still the same screen when I got up.
    Power off, change chargers, turn on and Freedom Pop logo with moving white ball again for the past 7ish hours.

What do I do now?

@insane66
    Sorry for the inconvenience, I've sent you a PM in order to gather some personal information regarding your request. Please check your forum in box for the message.

Thanks
    nj

PS-some suggestions that may help-

Samsung S series are know for turning off in the pocket(especially with a case) or any enclosed spaces when tight. The reason is the location of the power button. I use Samsung with my 3 kids and this is very common. Not sure if this is your issue, but it maybe. Also on certain occasions, we will get the same screen on boot up. Normally we just pull the battery and wait a few minutes, and boot back up and we are fine.

To get passed the device turning off, I purchased case that I use on all phones. Than I take a Exacto blade and cut the power button off. Making it a little harder to press the power button when in the pocket or enclosed spaces. Also I have noticed when I can get passed the Freedompop splash screen, even with a reboot and battery pull. I have to wipe the cache partition-

wiping the cache partition-

Here's how it's done:

1) Turn off phone

2) Remove the battery and reinsert.

3) Hold down the Home and Volume Up keys

4) Press and hold the Power button while still holding the other keys.

5) As soon as you see the Samsung logo, release all keys/buttons.

6) Press on the Volume Down to scroll down to Wipe Cache Partition.

7) Press the Power button to select it.

8) Press the Volume down button to highlight "Yes" and press the Power Button to select it.

9) Wait for a few minutes for the phone to clear the data.

10) Then press the Power button to select reboot system now.
    Wait for your phone to reboot.

Great Tips and Trick, User Guides and How to's in my Signature-(Take a Peek)

Hope you find any post I have created helpful. Please look for my How to-s(Downgrading-100% Free) and (How to use the FreedomPop Community), or my Guides on FreedomPop Devices(Phones) and (Hotspots). Here is one on (FreedomPop Plans). Here is one on all (FreedomPop Apps). He is one on(Traveling with your GSM Global Sim?) or Common Question about the (GSM Global Sim). You can PM me anytime by clicking this link here njfulwider5. Than click the BUTTON with the (Small Envelope), to left of the word (MESSAGE). I will do my best help. Welcome to FreedomPop

insane66 said:

Where do I go about getting the fp rom to restore it with? or any other rom?
    I got the phone from Freedom Pop, so imply I have quite a bit of knowledge by saying to use kies and restore to stock.

Kies will restore the stock MOTOROLA rom for the device. You just need to download the freedompop apps from the play store

https://forums.freedompop.com/discussion/10896/battery-issues-please-read-this#latest

If you are having trouble with the FreedomPop messaging app registering, always try uninstalling it and then reinstalling it. If that doesn't work download push notification fixer (no root) from the play store. make sure both intervals are set to 5 minutes and click apply.

• insane66insane66 FreedomPop Newbie Posts: 3
    Yeah thanks, the phone was not a MOTOROLA phone, so I have no idea why you would suggest loading a MOTOROLA rom on the device. Besides, this phone came from Freedom Pop, I shouldn't have to be loading roms or anything.

Update to the situation: Freedom Pop has issued me an RMA for a swap, so hopefully I will have a working phone soon.
    insane66 said:

Yeah thanks, the phone was not a MOTOROLA phone, so I have no idea why you would suggest loading a MOTOROLA rom on the device. Besides, this phone came from Freedom Pop, I shouldn't have to be loading roms or anything.

Update to the situation: Freedom Pop has issued me an RMA for a swap, so hopefully I will have a working phone soon.

Oh, that was my autocorrect and the stupid swipe feature on my note 4, your phone was rooted and the custom rom that FreedomPop uses wasn't loaded correctly.