No WiFi and no tethering

Guy WatkinsGuy Watkins Posts: 3FreedomPop Newbie
I got my MiFi 4082 today.

The device looks like it is working. I get blinking green, then blue.
I get 2-4 bars on the display.
Battery half charged.
And a GPS like icon on the bottom.

But my laptop and phone can't see it with WiFi.
Also if I connect the USB cable I don't get an IP address.

Tried resetting it.
Removed the battery.

Is the device broken?

Thanks.

Comments

• Brian McPhersonBrian McPherson Posts: 1,365FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Master, FreedomPop Expert ✭✭✭✭
    No, it maybe because the device driver for your USB connection fail to download. Plug it back in and go to "control panel" to "device manger". the driver window should be in "other" tab. Click driver, it would say you have driver there or it say no driver.

Go to ; MiFI4082 Driver

Unplug USB and shud down the MiFi before you download the file, you may have to drop your Fire wall on computer to download and install the driver. Once successful. Have your fire wall back up and turn on MiFi and plug the MiFi to computer. Check your connect there.

If you have internet connection, update PRL and Profile with the same internet you posted here.
    Email: [email protected]
    [email protected]

For better help in real time, "Skype" is the best help I can offer. My Skype User is "freewill95". You can add me to your contact list and in the message box, type "freedompop user".
  • Keith OwenKeith Owen Posts: 3FreedomPop Newbie
    Yeah...about that... In my case, on Windows 8.1, the driver installation doesn't even start. The .msi brings back the "This installation package could not be opened. Contact the application vendor to verify that this is a valid Windows Installer package." error.

So I'm still stuck unable to access the MiFi to run Setup. I can connect to Internet with default password, but I'd really like to change it, and since I'm in a 3G area and the nearest 4G is about 150 miles away, I'd really like to figure out how to do this without having to drive across the state.

Why oh WHY is this thing designed not to allow Setup outside of 4G without USB tethering? My desktop won't connect to it and can't load new drivers because of the aforementioned error. :/
  • Brian McPhersonBrian McPherson Posts: 1,365FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Master, FreedomPop Expert ✭✭✭✭
    @Keith, When first got the MiFi, I had the same problem. Driver would load on my pc's, but I had a Mac and it load just fine with me using my Dishnet ISP. That was my saving grace there.

Now about the reason why you cannot do the updates in 3G, it little hard to explain. But the device cannot connect to the internet because it does not understand where you it should connect to and it has to have profile information from freedompop( one member say it set of permissions in profile. Maybe someone can explain that a little better then me.

If you have friend that has a mac, ask him if you can connect your device thru mac and internet service. If you have Apple store near you ask them if you can do that on one there mac also.

It maybe you have to go 150 miles to that spot to get 4G service.
    Email: [email protected]
    [email protected]

For better help in real time, "Skype" is the best help I can offer. My Skype User is "freewill95". You can add me to your contact list and in the message box, type "freedompop user".
This discussion has been closed.