Is Freedompop Overbilling for Data Usage?

MrConsumerMrConsumer Posts: 4FreedomPop Newbie
I have had a sneaky suspicion that Freedompop's data usage counter shows a significantly higher number of megs used than is the actual usage.

To test this, I found a 50 meg (exactly) file at thinkbroadband.com/download.html. I went to that page using wifi, then turned off wifi, and immediately began to download the 50 meg file on that page via 4G-LTE. As soon as the download finished, I turned off my cellphone to stop any more data activity.

The results: on my dashboard, for the first 50 meg download, I was "billed" for 60 megs. The second was 67 megs. And the third was 56 megs.

So, for me, the "overcharges" range from 20% to 34% to 12% of the presumed actual usage.

Have any of you experienced this? Do a test!

I don't know if this is deliberate "overbilling" in the hopes that people will exceed their free usage limit or a bug in their reporting system.

Thanks,
Edgar

Comments

• njfulwider5njfulwider5 Posts: 10,413FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Master, Test Role, FreedomPop Expert, FreedomFan, Android Master , FP Flyer ✭✭✭✭✭

I have had a sneaky suspicion that Freedompop's data usage counter shows a significantly higher number of megs used than is the actual usage.

To test this, I found a 50 meg (exactly) file at thinkbroadband.com/download.html. I went to that page using wifi, then turned off wifi, and immediately began to download the 50 meg file on that page via 4G-LTE. As soon as the download finished, I turned off my cellphone to stop any more data activity.

The results: on my dashboard, for the first 50 meg download, I was "billed" for 60 megs. The second was 67 megs. And the third was 56 megs.

So, for me, the "overcharges" range from 20% to 34% to 12% of the presumed actual usage.

Have any of you experienced this? Do a test!

I don't know if this is deliberate "overbilling" in the hopes that people will exceed their free usage limit or a bug in their reporting system.

Thanks,
    Edgar

@MrConsumer,
    When you did the download, did you take into the account any application running in the background during this download? Also was you using 4G LTE, CDMA 3G, LTE GSM, HSPA+, HSPA or 2G Edge.

Using cellular to download a file is not the same as downloading from Highspeed internet, like Comcast or Satellite. A typical 50mb file download with carrier like these have great response times, and typically a 50 mbs file will be a 50 mbs file.

Cell data can vary by speed. The file might be 50mbs, but takes you 60-70 mbs to download. This would be the case with the landline companies mentioned above, but those are 10 times as fast. You will also use more data downloading a 50 mbs file on 3G than you would LTE. the lower the speed the higher the data used. It can be very confusing, and if the Phone's/Hotspot's own Calculator actually measured 100% accurately, you might be able to see this. But It gets pretty close. Find Data usage in your settings. So make sure when you download a file like this, you are at top speeds for your device. Even at tops speeds you will see a little more usage that the file, just not as much as lower speeds.

For Example(and I am using a phone call instead of a file), a call on Data (4G LTE, CDMA 3G, LTE GSM, HSPA+, HSPA or 2G Edge.)-

450 minutes of talk on 4G LTE is around 75mbs total. So the average per minute is .166mbs.

450 minutes of talk on 3g CDMA is around 563mbs. So the Average Per minute is 1.25mbs.

Than you have to take into the account the 3 hour delay. One download may take 3 hours, and another might take 2 seconds to show. A pause in the download might show as 2 usage marks.

Last, are you on a plan that has data compression? That may also play a key factor in the end result. You normally have this included with a Premium Plan, based on the device you use.

Not saying that FreedomPop is perfect. What small company is? But these guys are learning, and post like this help these guys understand the direction they should take when they discover a problem. I can tell you, that these guys would never take more data intentionally. If you or any other Consumer out there feels that they have any type of Data discrepancies like you mentioned. These guys will correct them right away, and normally no questions asked. I have been a user for the past few years, and I have never seen these guys take more data out of any of my 10 accounts. But I have seen a few hickups here and there with other users. These guys fixed them pretty quick.

What would really help the development team and the people behind the scenes, Screen shoot. These are great tools when trying to figure out any discrampancies like your.

Sorry for the inconvenience, I've sent you a PM in order to gather some personal information regarding your request. Please check your forum in box for the message.

Thanks for your Patience,
    nj

Great Tips and Trick, User Guides and How to's in my Signature-(Take a Peek)

Hope you find any post I have created helpful. Please look for my How to-s(Downgrading-100% Free) and (How to use the FreedomPop Community), or my Guides on FreedomPop Devices(Phones) and (Hotspots). Here is one on (FreedomPop Plans). Here is one on all (FreedomPop Apps). He is one on(Traveling with your GSM Global Sim?) or Common Question about the (GSM Global Sim). You can PM me anytime by clicking this link here njfulwider5. Than click the BUTTON with the (Small Envelope), to left of the word (MESSAGE). I will do my best help. Welcome to FreedomPop