Semi working BYOD, HFA could not finish, no data

GentDiorsGentDiors Posts: 8FreedomPop Newbie
I just byoded my Galaxy S7 (G930U carrier unlocked version) to FP. This phone was once activated and working fine at RingPlus, but I already factory resetted everything (so the carrier setting is empty), along with a brand new 506 SIM which is the compatible one with S7. Everything went OK but I was only asked MEID to get the account set up, and it was working semi OK under wifi. I installed the fp app, and sms walks fine, can dial out but could not answer the incoming call (the other party hear this number not available), also the HFA could not be completed, so no cellular data yet. I noticed that in your regular BYOD link (19.99 activation fee), it actually asked for both MEID and ICCID, do you need to manually update my account with the SIM's ICCID for me to pass the HFA and get the data working? It was a little bit confusing here.

I do have an order status showing at the first step "submit", but my device with correct MEID was listed already and the fp app automatically detects it and associated it with the right account. Also Ting BYOD checker said it was active already, so essentially it's activated under my new fp account, but not fully provisioned.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Comments

• njfulwider5njfulwider5 Posts: 10,413FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Master, Test Role, FreedomPop Expert, FreedomFan, Android Master , FP Flyer ✭✭✭✭✭
    GentDiors said:

I just byoded my Galaxy S7 (G930U carrier unlocked version) to FP. This phone was once activated and working fine at RingPlus, but I already factory resetted everything (so the carrier setting is empty), along with a brand new 506 SIM which is the compatible one with S7. Everything went OK but I was only asked MEID to get the account set up, and it was working semi OK under wifi. I installed the fp app, and sms walks fine, can dial out but could not answer the incoming call (the other party hear this number not available), also the HFA could not be completed, so no cellular data yet. I noticed that in your regular BYOD link (19.99 activation fee), it actually asked for both MEID and ICCID, do you need to manually update my account with the SIM's ICCID for me to pass the HFA and get the data working? It was a little bit confusing here.

I do have an order status showing at the first step "submit", but my device with correct MEID was listed already and the fp app automatically detects it and associated it with the right account. Also Ting BYOD checker said it was active already, so essentially it's activated under my new fp account, but not fully provisioned.

Thanks a lot in advance.

@GentDiors,
    What happens when you use the FreedomPop messaging app? Do you get any errors?

Hope all is well,
    NJ

Great Tips and Trick, User Guides and How to's in my Signature-(Take a Peek)

Hope you find any post I have created helpful. Please look for my How to-s(Downgrading-100% Free) and (How to use the FreedomPop Community), or my Guides on FreedomPop Devices(Phones) and (Hotspots). Here is one on (FreedomPop Plans). Here is one on all (FreedomPop Apps). He is one on(Traveling with your GSM Global Sim?) or Common Question about the (GSM Global Sim). You can PM me anytime by clicking this link here njfulwider5. Than click the BUTTON with the (Small Envelope), to left of the word (MESSAGE). I will do my best help. Welcome to FreedomPop

• GentDiorsGentDiors Posts: 8FreedomPop Newbie
    Thanks for the reply. On wifi, the messaging app works fine, no error whatsoever, sent/receive sms fine. Dial out is working too, just not receiving calls. FP csr at SD forum took my iccid and meid already, just not sure if the iccid has been added.

I tried the HFA a few times today, but still could not finish, same internal error code 108, asking me to contact customer service. Tried uninstall the fp messaging app and did hfa, still the same.
    @njfulwider5 @Karina

Four days now, I'm still stuck in this limbo status. FP app works for sms, outgoing call, no error msg whatsoever (on wifi only), incoming call not ring, the other party hears the voicemail greeting instantly, and my phone will get a VM notification.

Ting checker, says "Looks like your phone is currently active. We can move your number ("port") to Ting and activate your phone", but swappa checker says "Activation Status : Clear, Device appears to be activation ready."

This was activated on Ringplus and working for a couple of weeks until I tried to port my Sprint number to Ringplus. An error popped immediately and interrupted the port process, and my sprint service was not affected at all, but since then this phone has not been able to get service at ringplus (although it was listed as active device for that line). All the checkers seemed to indicate that the phone was not active (so ready to hop on Ting or freedompop). A moderator at RingPlus worked with me on this issue, and came to conclusion that it may be the early error in my port-in attempt, that put the phone into a limbo status. I cancelled that line entirely and waited a month before BYOD to FP, also checked with the checkers before the process to make sure it was all good. I even used a brand new SIM to start with.
  • njfulwider5njfulwider5 Posts: 10,413FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Master, Test Role, FreedomPop Expert, FreedomFan, Android Master , FP Flyer ✭✭✭✭✭
    GentDiors said:

Thanks a lot in advance.

GentDiors said:

Thanks a lot in advance.

@GentDiors,
    What happens when you use the FreedomPop messaging app? Do you get any errors?

Hope all is well,
    NJ
    GentDiors said:

Thanks for the reply. On wifi, the messaging app works fine, no error whatsoever, sent/receive sms fine. Dial out is working too, just not receiving calls. FP csr at SD forum took my iccid and meid already, just not sure if the iccid has been added.

I tried the HFA a few times today, but still could not finish, same internal error code 108, asking me to contact customer service. Tried uninstall the fp messaging app and did hfa, still the same.

GentDiors said:

@njfulwider5 @Karina

Four days now, I'm still stuck in this limbo status. FP app works for sms, outgoing call, no error msg whatsoever (on wifi only), incoming call not ring, the other party hears the voicemail greeting instantly, and my phone will get a VM notification.

Ting checker, says "Looks like your phone is currently active. We can move your number ("port") to Ting and activate your phone", but swappa checker says "Activation Status : Clear, Device appears to be activation ready."

This was activated on Ringplus and working for a couple of weeks until I tried to port my Sprint number to Ringplus. An error popped immediately and interrupted the port process, and my sprint service was not affected at all, but since then this phone has not been able to get service at ringplus (although it was listed as active device for that line). All the checkers seemed to indicate that the phone was not active (so ready to hop on Ting or freedompop). A moderator at RingPlus worked with me on this issue, and came to conclusion that it may be the early error in my port-in attempt, that put the phone into a limbo status. I cancelled that line entirely and waited a month before BYOD to FP, also checked with the checkers before the process to make sure it was all good. I even used a brand new SIM to start with.

@GentDiors
    Sorry for the inconvenience, I've sent you a PM in order to gather some personal information regarding your request. Please check your forum in box for the message.

Thanks for your Patience,
    nj

Great Tips and Trick, User Guides and How to's in my Signature-(Take a Peek)

Hope you find any post I have created helpful. Please look for my How to-s(Downgrading-100% Free) and (How to use the FreedomPop Community), or my Guides on FreedomPop Devices(Phones) and (Hotspots). Here is one on (FreedomPop Plans). Here is one on all (FreedomPop Apps). He is one on(Traveling with your GSM Global Sim?) or Common Question about the (GSM Global Sim). You can PM me anytime by clicking this link here njfulwider5. Than click the BUTTON with the (Small Envelope), to left of the word (MESSAGE). I will do my best help. Welcome to FreedomPop

To close this out, after the correct ICCID, phone was able to complete the activation. After a few times of updating prl, reset apn, factory reset, finally LTE was up. Just a note for users, if your phone was previously activated with Sprint or Sprint MVNO and had the SIM that was used, it seems like your MEID and ICCID combo has a record that when byod, the ICCID for your previously activated SIM was automatically put into your freedompop account. To me, changing for a new SIM is more troublesome than trying out the old SIM first.
    Sorry to bump up an old thread, don't want to waste another thread in the forum.

So I byoded another G930U, this time with an old SIM that was once activated/used with Ringplus. Of coz, the fp account could not be properly activated since the phone (MEID) was never activated on Sprint before, but the SIM (ICCID) was. I saw a big red line across my account dashboard. So quickly contacted FP customer service requesting ICCID update. A day later got reply and I turned on the phone and HFA etc went through. Like all other not-previously-activated-on-sprint device, I only get 3G network, and the response of the network (the moment I shut off wifi till the cellular data picks up) was rather slow as well.

I tested the fp messaging app, txt, and call. Worked OK. I started to do all sorts of things trying to get LTE (as mentioned in my previous posts above, such as carrier resetting, APN reset, factory reset, sync fp app account data), none worked. In the meantime, I noticed that my sms is not working anymore. I could not get the Google voice verification sms initially, then tested with my other cell phones, not getting or sending out sms. The fp app shows sms as "sent" but the other party is not getting it. Voice seemed still work fine.

I asked the fp tech to "refresh" the account or whatever magic they did on 03/29-03/30, that enabled LTE for multiple devices previously struggling to get one (my other s7 included). He did something, and next time I turned on the phone, I got the invalid sim error and a lot of different apps trying to be installed. Did a carrier reset, back to the 3g only, sms not working status. Asked him to verify the ICCID was matching my record, got confirmed answer.

I don't know if the sms not working was related, just layed it out as part of the symptoms. Don't know what else I can do from my side. Hope someone can share some thoughts on this.