FreedomPop sim to unlock phone

Richard EberweinRichard Eberwein Posts: 11FreedomPop Newbie
I have an Alcatel one touch Flint that has never been activated. I have the unlock code, can I use a Freedom Pop sim to unlock my phone from Cricket Wireless?

Answers

• woosukchoiwoosukchoi Posts: 2FreedomPop Newbie
    it may not work with the freedompop.
    cricket usimg att network whitch as GSM.
    but freedompop using CDMA.
  • ramdxenramdxen Posts: 169FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Expert ✭✭✭
    Freedompop devices do use CDMA on Sprint. The GSM sim cards (3g or LTE) should work on any phone that is network unlocked and has a sim slot (whether from a CDMA or GSM carrier, though some CDMA devices have no sim slot). As long as the firmware on your phone allows you to edit the APN (almost always does, but on a few pesky devices, it was disabled by the carrier trying to prevent customers from using other sim cards). My devices currently on Fredompop GSM sims are 2 Verizon (CDMA), a Sprint (CDMA), and 2 T-Mobiles (GSM), and one Vodafone (GSM) all using GSM cards. The big deal is to make sure the phone has a sim card. I don't know much about Cricket to offer specific info for them, but accepting a SIM is the real make or break issue for using a GSM sim card on any phone. CDMA phones may not get ideal reception unless they operate on the bands of .. for LTE cards, ATT's LTE bands, or T-Mobile _or_ ATT's 3g bands for the global 3g sim. Which bands or frequencies a device has enabled can usually be found by googling the device released under the carrier that is branded on your device.
  • Richard EberweinRichard Eberwein Posts: 11FreedomPop Newbie
    ramdxen
    The question I have is Will I be able to unlock my GSM network locked phone using a FreedomPop SIM card? I have the unlock code from the carrier, or does the phone need to be unlocked first?
  • kerstuffkerstuff Posts: 664FreedomPop Newbie ✭✭✭
    My understanding is the old carrier is the one to unlock the phone. This must be done before you start the Fpop use.
  • adamcartsadamcarts Posts: 2FreedomPop Newbie
    I had a UK unlocked Galaxy S5 I gave to my friend. FreedomPop doesn't work on this phone so he wants to use another Sim card. Only to find that the phone is now Network locked. Why is this? The phone has always been unlocked why would FreedomPop lock the phone to a network the phone will not operate on?
  • ramdxenramdxen Posts: 169FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Expert ✭✭✭
    edited June 2017 #7
    @adamcarts My limited experience with UK devices is that they have all worked on GSM. Only CDMA setups can sort of lock a device to a carrier, in which case it would then need to be released. I could be wrong as I haven't done any CDMA setups, even on global CDMA devices I could use a GSM sim card once the lock was broken. Depending how the device was unlocked (proper code or otherwise), some resets, upgrading firmware, custom roms, etc. can sometimes re-lock devices. To make sure I understand this correctly, when inserting a sim card and booting up the phone, a prompt is displayed asking for the network unlock code? When I get a code, whether through official channels or 3rd parties, I keep it just in case. I do know sometimes devices have two sim locks, one for international use and another for domestic (as in can be used with the carrier's competition, and they don't really like unlocking that), but I've only encountered such on Sprint (US) phone before. If the phone is carrier branded, it would hep to know to which carrier it belongs. If it is not branded, it shouldn't be able to be locked in the first place if sticking with the appropriate stock firmware.