have to have wifi on to get atnt reception. No wifi, no cell signal. Weird.

anson lianson li Posts: 8FreedomPop Newbie
1st time post, be gentle :);
have to have wifi on to get atnt reception. No wifi, no cell signal. Weird. So, this is a wifi assisted cell signal? Will try downtown tomorrow and report back.

Just join freedompop, still exploring...
bun

Best Answer

• ramdxenramdxen Posts: 169FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Expert ✭✭✭
    #2 Accepted Answer
    I believe FP requires that roaming is enabled, but you will never be billed for any roaming charges. This could have something to do with the fact that FP doesn't own any of the towers that their phones/sims are allowed to interact with. Your friend's ATT phone is not "roaming" because it is an ATT phone on the ATT network.

FP uses voip, not traditional celllular/mobile services, so your calls will not have the same quality as a traditional cell phone. Features such as Premium Voice aim to get around his, but I'm unsure to what extent. The quality of your call will also have much to do with the str4ngth of your signal. I can't add too much here because I don't know any specific info about your phone. Some settings may help with quality, and have seem some tutorials in this forum. You can tinker with them and run some experiments, but also note that signal strength and type (wifi, 3g, lte) can make all the difference in the world.

Answers

• anson lianson li Posts: 8FreedomPop Newbie
    went downtown, all roaming. While my friend holding an atnt sim in her iphone, is regular signal, no roaming
    questions: how does roaming work in our account, are they count differently?
    why my fp sim card is roaming while ordinary iphone is not?
    tia,

bun
  • anson lianson li Posts: 8FreedomPop Newbie
    I went downtown, city everywhere, my phone is roaming, 4bars and a little 'r'. And my friend's atnt phone is NOT roaming.
    Questions: Why my freedompop sim is roaming while others using iphone are not? is there any settings I need to set right?
    Does roaming data makes any difference in our use, or should I turn off roaming?

Other than that, the phone rings and able to call out and receive call; The receiving end of the phone call said the voice are poor quality, voice goes in and out, cannot make out what I said. Is there any tuning I need to do? Sorry about the newbie post. I am excited about the FP that it is working, unfortunately, not as good as I thought, hope some tweaks will make it right.

tia
    bun
  • John TinsleyJohn Tinsley Posts: 1FreedomPop Newbie
    Cell phone only works with wifi. No cell services. This plan is for the birds!