**Reminder** When you sign up for FreedomPop service we often offer a free trial experience for one of our plans or add-on services. Upon the end of your Trial, you will incur the regular charge for that plan or service. Please take a look at our Community post for more information regarding your recent purchase and what to expect: http://bit.ly/2xFTGWY

Why does freedompop messenger use so much of my mobile data?

ckotabishckotabish Posts: 9FreedomPop Newbie
I have a Huawei y538 and I am using the basic 200 plan. According to my data traffic use app (came with the phone) the messenger app used 78 mb lte data and 147 mb data on Wi-Fi. It also seems every time I make a voice phone call from the freedompop app my data limit takes a substantial hit. Why is this if the phone minutes are separate from the data allotment?

Answers

• ramdxenramdxen Posts: 169FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Expert ✭✭✭
    edited June 2017 #2
    @ckotabish .. the thing is that your voice, texts, and data through FP all use data. Freedompop is a VOIP provider, not a traditional cell/mobile carrier. The FP app distinguishes between what data was used by calls and text (which count against your allowance whether on a data signal or wifi) and your data used by anything else when not on wifi. In other words, your other data tracking app is recording how much data goes through the FP app, but it can not tell if the data was used for calls or texts, only the FP app and your FP website account tracking will list what is considered minutes, text, or data usage. I hope this is the info you were looking for.
  • KittyPumbalaKittyPumbala Posts: 21FreedomPop Newbie
    I have the same problem, and your explanation doesn't make any sense to me. I just got a notice that virtually all my mobile data is used up, and the only thing I can find are texts and voice calls. When you say "The FP app distinguishes between what data was used by calls and text (which count against your allowance whether on a data signal or wifi)..." So that sounds like "No matter what you do, it counts against your FP data allowance, even if it's on WiFi." Which would make "unlimited" calls and texts nothing but a joke.

But then you say "...only the FP app and your FP website account tracking will list what is considered minutes, text, or data usage." SO - does that mean that FP "knows" when I make calls and counts those against my call minutes, or does it mean something else?

The website shows I used 1 minute for calls. But the website then lists 4 calls of 1 minute each. And it shows that I've used all but 20 mb of my 1 gig of data. And I've always been on WiFi when I've used the phone.

Obviously, I'm confused, and I'm looking forward to an explanation I can understand. (Be gentle - I have 2 doctorates, so my contact with reality is minimal ;-)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,553
    The user and all related content has been deleted.