Texting/Calling away from 4G

gatsbythegerbilgatsbythegerbil Posts: 0FreedomPop Newbie
Today I was away from my home Wi-Fi connection, and tried to send a text. I got the message "No network detected". It said to check my Wi-Fi settings. When I signed up, I was under the impression that FreedomPop worked on Sprint's mobile network, and the coverage map shows that I should be able to make calls away from a 4G network. (Sprint has poor 4G in my area.) Was I wrong about that? Do I have to be near an Internet connection to call/text, or is my phone not set up right? If it runs strictly on Internet connection, that should be obvious to new customers, as it was not to me.

Comments

• Lman BizLman Biz Posts: 138FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Expert ✭✭✭
    @gatsbythegerbil No, you don't need a wifi connection to use FP. It should use the 3G/4G network if it is available. Sprints coverage is "spotty", and if you are driving, your coverage could go in and out. If you don't have a solid connection, it might not work at all. FP does use VOIP, so either a wifi connection or a data connection is required. On my "free" plan, my S4 can use either 3G or 4G signals. There seems to be a lot of people having trouble with this sort of thing, so I am guessing your phone may not be setup all the way. If you have the app, it will call over wifi. If you paid the 19.99 activation fee for your phone, you should be able to use the 3G/4G connection. @Taylor might be able to assist you in getting your phone working and connected.
  • gatsbythegerbilgatsbythegerbil Posts: 0FreedomPop Newbie
    This is really something that needs clarification for new users! I have literally never heard of the $19.99 activation fee. I thought as long as I had 4G coverage (according to the coverage map, I should have a 4G connection here) I would be able to make calls and texts with the app. What is the $19.99 activation fee for?
  • Lman BizLman Biz Posts: 138FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Expert ✭✭✭
    FP offers a 200 minute, 500 text, and 500mb of data for free. You will have that as long as they continue to offer that, which hopefully, will be forever. But there is a $19.99 activation fee, to get a phone number, and access to the Sprint data network. So while you are driving down the freeway, you will have service. I was also surprised at that too when I signed up, because it doesn't say that anywhere on the website that was obvious. I only saw it when I went to activate a BYOD. You can also download the app, and get a phone number and use it on wifi only, as I do have another account that is done that way. On that, you get 200 minutes, and 500 text only....no "data". So on that, you MUST use wifi. Just using that feature can be helpful, since you get a "real" phone number and people can call you. Hopefully that explains it for you. Let me know if you have any more questions.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 31
    @gatsbythegerbil‌ - What is the MEID located on your phone?
    I have a Samsung Galaxy S II, so which one would be the MEID - the HEX, DEC, or MAC? I can't get to the BYOD page anymore. I'll pay the fee to get it activated, as it is saving me quite a bit of money. Or it will, if there aren't even more caveats where I'll have to pay more! There's a pretty high buy-in cost for this service, but if it really works like it should, it's worth it. Seriously though, new users should know they won't be able to use 3G without paying more. The only honest problem I've had with FreedomPop is that it's not obvious what you'll get and how much you'll have to pay.
    @gatsbythegerbil‌ - The MEID-DEC number please. You also do not need to pay more to use 3G with our phones, only with our 3G/4G hotspots.
    DEC 268 435 460 804 901 318. If I already installed the app, will this change how things run, and will my number change? (It's fine if it does, as long as I know.)
    @Taylor I'm glad for any help I can get, but I really don't appreciate the fact that I've been left hanging for well over a week. I'd like to be able to use my phone outside my house.
    @Taylor‌ @Freedom Pop‌ Is anybody there?
    @gatsbythegerbil‌ - My apologies I did not see your responses. Your device is not activated in our system. Could you please PM me (click on my picture, then click "message" in the top right corner on the next page) the email you used to set up your account so I can investigate further.