**Reminder** When you sign up for FreedomPop service we often offer a free trial experience for one of our plans or add-on services. The free trial lasts for 30 days, after which you will incur the regular charge for that plan or service. Please take a look at our Community post for more information regarding your recent purchase and what to expect: http://bit.ly/2xFTGWY
If you have not recently performed a Carrier Reset to your mobile device, we recommend doing so to ensure that your FreedomPop service is operating to its best capability. This does not cause the loss of any information saved on your mobile device. You can find instructions by selecting the following link: https://support.freedompop.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3017/

For additional topics related to your concern, please visit our online Self-Help Knowledge Base at https://support.freedompop.com

An observation on downgrading

Allen Kurt Allen Kurt FreedomPop Newbie Posts: 68
I have a Data only Sim for my Nexus 7 2013 LTE that's rooted and uses Talkatone to make VOIP/SIP calls. I have the 2Gb plan here and for ~$30.00 a month I like it and am going to keep it going (along with the premium rollover service).
No issue there.

I also started a Data/Phone sim for an el cheapo GSM Blu phone (not Global SIM just domestic US) and worked with it for 20 days to get the phone where I wanted it to be ie. no data leaking so when it's on 4G no undue data charges. Well got it locked down very nicely and am happy with it. Thing is, I'm going to give this to my technology averse spouse to use and I converted it to the free plan with 11 days to go. I didn't feel the need to go to the end and risk "missing" the
conversion day and incurring a full months charge.

It's a GSM Blu phone I provided and has the 200mb data limit instead of the 500mb limit. I converted and followed the online instructions to convert to the free phone service and was billed $15.00. $5.00 I understand for turning off
the auto top off. That I know. But the extra $10.00? Indeed I had used 214mb of Data but this was on the trial plan.

If one wishes to convert in the midst of the trial, FP better stop doing these funky charges because converting should not entail a penalty while still within the 30 day period. As long as a user stays within the limit which in my case was
2Gb, it should be a pass. I've seen a lot of negative online banter surrounding stuff like this. Great way to make enemies and lose potential customers to Go phones.

If my wife takes off and likes to chat more, or she wants to use the phone to cruise online (heck she won't even
look at the internet on a laptop or desktop for criminey) I will upgrade. Stuff like this might lead to going to a
mainline service in that regard just 'cause I hate to be nickel and dimed.

I understand if the phone isn't used, it will be shut down. Fair enough. It's a free plan so beggars can't be choosy.
I can simply "exercise it" myself once a month. I'm confident I have the data leak down to near zero and can deal with that. 200mb on a GSM phone is not much at all but I'm only interested in Voice for her and if she takes to messaging with our daughter, fine. I can always upgrade.

I do like the control that FP offers to customers on usage but people have to be sophisticated enough to educate
themselves to exercise it. A free trial should be a "free trial" and one should not be penalized if downgrading within
the 30 day period. The junk about "downgrading on the last day" is balderdash to be able to sneak in charges or at least
it looks that way. Kurt

Best Answers

• Allen Kurt Allen Kurt FreedomPop Newbie Posts: 68
    #3 Accepted Answer
    Hello again trackball. I took your note as impetus to try the phone/data sim in another phone and it works better. Am going to cancel my request and keep it.
  • trackballtrackball FreedomPop Newbie Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #7 Accepted Answer
    Thanks, trying to help someone with tablet prob.
    Thought to ask you about text recept.
    Have a safe n sane holiday.

Answers

Stupidhead here gave it another shot in another phone and it works fine.
    I'm cancelling the request to cancel. Sorry, I apologize for jumping the gun.
    Kurt
    Yeah, I realize that now but a 30 day trial is a 30 day trial and if one has 2gb to use within that time frame and don't go over 2gb, they shouldn't get dinged for downgrading within 30 days period. If they want to eliminate all those,
    "Where did this charge or that charge come from?" posts they should consider changing their software. That said, I sent a note in to cancel the "free" account as the echo on the recipient end is intolerable.
    Funny, the calls were fine while all the "premium" stuff was intact but once
    it was downgraded, no matter what parameters were selected, the echo on the recipient end makes it unusable. Might be a GSM thing so I want to cancel the phone account. Yes I read the FAQ
    I have a Data only SIM in a tablet I like and will continue that.
    If I have to voice call 'em to kill the phone card or if someone knows of GSM settings that make the free account usable for voice without echo on the recipient end, I'll change my tune. I don't want to "kill" the account entirely as I do like the service for my tablet and will keep the trial going for the Data only card "premium" services and all. Looks like that will be for around $30.00 a month with rollover privileges up to 20gb.
    I made an attempt to use the phone sim in a dual sim phone and I wasn't quite satisfied with the way it worked. Thanks again for the response.
    Kurt
    Thanks for the response trackball. Turns out it was the stupid, chintzy BLU Dash L2 phone that didn't work well. I don't know how to explain it any other way. I pulled the SIM and stuck it in a BLU Studio
    G Plus (more memory available) and all the quality problems went away. The phone is dual SIM so I'm going to run it there. All problems are gone. I did see the optimization FAQ previously posted
    and no matter what I did with the chintzy BLU Dash L2 phone it was unusable for voice. It was the
    phone not the FP service. The more capable phone with more memory and storage works fine.
    Boy, I'd hate to be in support and have to tell a customer, "Sounds like you have a s****ty phone, can
    you try it in something better?" In the chintzy BLU Dash L2 no ring tone after I dialed, I just had to wait until I'd hear a "Hello?" on the other end. In the "better" phone I get a ring tone in my headset that the call
    initiation is in progress instead of silence.
    Only loose end I see in the FP app is some of the settings disappear. Example, I get all the settings the way I like them, shut off the phone, start it up the next day check in and "echo cancellation" can be unchecked when I had it checked previously and synced. No big deal but might be addressable in a
    future release. I see the latest release allows for easy deletion of pre-existing message threads.
    That's a nice fix. I have to apologize for being a PITA (pain in the a**) but I'm a happy camper now.
    Still ecstatic with the Nexus 7 2013 LTE tablet I've got a Data only SIM in. It is absolutely great to be
    able to complete VOIP/SIP calls and the quality on both ends is pretty darned good too.
    I found the TalkaTone app works very nicely on the N7 2013 LTE and it automatically switches from
    WiFi to LTE automatically when Wifi is out of range if I want it to. Spent the trial period plugging data leaks so I have the thing **** down tight unless it's on WiFi. I really like it and am keeping the trial service with the premium service going. Am subscribed and hooked. Oh, yes I realize data is consumed
    when making calls in this fashion with this tablet but I find it is modest. A lot of people dissed
    the N7 2013 LTE tablet because is couldn't "do calls" with a standard Phone/Data sim but
    boy it can be trained and calls can be carried out just fine. (Albeit on the data side. I can live with that.) ---
    The only thing I note is on the phone SIM in the account, even though I converted it to the free phone plan,
    with the My FP Android app it still shows I have Premium plus selected for the Phone SIM. When I log in to the FP site and my account online, it shows the Data plan for the Nexus 7 with the "trimmings" I've elected to continue ($9.99 Premier Service) and with the LTE SIM kit 3 in 1 Voice SIM, it shows that I did indeed opted out of the $7.99 Premium Plus service and shut off auto update to maintain it as the free service. I followed the posted FAQ for the conversion. Might be a glitch in the Android My FreedomPop app that it still shows the $7.99 service active or it might not drop off until the trial runs out completely in 7 days. Kurt
    My acronym is PleaseExcuseSlowTyping, the other mems. it's picnic.
    Told you b4 I am a mem. no $ or swag, you're 1 of few who send me cred's, thanks.
    I have a blu, w/dual sim slots, too, can't member if dash or studio, but the screen is slow.
    So you did the audio fix on both phs. ? My kyocera is bad, and yeah, when I boot it, nr/echo is always off, wtf.
    Their plans are 'we don't need no stinkin plans here', just monitor it, cause they charge whatever/whenever they want. I reversed cc w/fp on 4 sims and those and 2 others are persona non gratis, email, ph#, cc#, and landline. I was lucky it was sims, cause I have fp phs. and hotspots.

You remember your 'no ph# post', I mentioned I had palm pilots and then Jobs intro'd 1st iph, and I commented it was like 1st clock-radio ? Why don't they put cell system in pads, use btooth hset, or like, apple facetime, not gvoice or voip, true cellular. But you don't mind 'pairing' a ph to your nex7, w/data, and imp ?, do you get texts, I know you mainly do voice but I need feedback from you ?
    trackball said:

My acronym is PleaseExcuseSlowTyping, the other mems. it's picnic.
    Told you b4 I am a mem. no $ or swag, you're 1 of few who send me cred's, thanks.
    I have a blu, w/dual sim slots, too, can't member if dash or studio, but the screen is slow.
    So you did the audio fix on both phs. ? My kyocera is bad, and yeah, when I boot it, nr/echo is always off, wtf.
    Their plans are 'we don't need no stinkin plans here', just monitor it, cause they charge whatever/whenever they want. I reversed cc w/fp on 4 sims and those and 2 others are persona non gratis, email, ph#, cc#, and landline. I was lucky it was sims, cause I have fp phs. and hotspots.

You remember your 'no ph# post', I mentioned I had palm pilots and then Jobs intro'd 1st iph, and I commented it was like 1st clock-radio ? Why don't they put cell system in pads, use btooth hset, or like, apple facetime, not gvoice or voip, true cellular. But you don't mind 'pairing' a ph to your nex7, w/data, and imp ?, do you get texts, I know you mainly do voice but I need feedback from you ?

Hi, I appreciate the advice. Thanks. The el cheapo BLU phone is a Dash L2 DU 250U with only 512mb ram and onboard 4Gb storage. It is lousy with FP service. My personal phone is a BLU Studio G Plus with 1Gb RAM and 64Gb of micro SD card memory in addition to the onboard 8Gb memory on the phone.
    The 3 in 1 Data/voice/messaging SIM works a heck of a lot better in my phone with more memory and RAM. The BLU 512mb RAM/4Gb memory was slow and sluggish. I think if trying to use the SIM in a cheap phone, one is going to be stuck with lousy performance.
    Now I have an old AT&T GoPhone account that's 10 cents a minute and 20 cents per message. I never use it up and over the years, I've gone up to the $500.00 limit AT&T has set. I just refill it $50.00 or so or whatever it takes to get to $500.00 and I get another year to use it. I've had this for years and my monthly cost is plummeting for voice/msgs. Yeah I didn't use it much but don't want to let it lapse. 1000 minutes a year ain't so bad. They don't offer it anymore as a plan. I have that SIM as primary in my BLU phone and AT&T as backup. I never used messaging in the past but do so now and use the FP "free" account to do what little I do there.
    Now I bought a used Nexus 7 2013 LTE tablet for cheap and I think the reason is that they are Data-only and folks were ticked off one couldn't do standard "cell" calls with a cellphone sim. Here's where I lucked out. Turns out the FP Data-only SIM serves as my internet link and VOIP/SIP apps can make calls.
    I use TalkaTone and it does the calls when I'm on Wifi for free and will switch to FPs LTE network automatically (if I have it setup to do so). In the LTE case, data of course is being used for the voice
    calls but it's not so bad. I like the trade off and the call quality is good. I only have GSM service where
    I am at so a GSM Data card is used and I had to use a GSM phone SIM.
    Oh, the Nexus 7 2013 LTE gets texts too through the TalkaTone app. The only thing I had to do with the N7 was go into "Settings" and setup the FP Data card and allow the N7 to switch to LTE when WiFi is out of range. Works automatically. I don't have to use any FreedomPop software except I do have My
    FreedomPop" app on the tablet to monitor usage. For calls and messages, everything goes through TalkaTone on the N7 2013. I don't know how the Nexus 7 2013 3G would work in that regard.
    I use Ubuntu and flash different ROMS with careless abandon so all my devices are rooted with adb.
    Kurt
    Ok, but are you receiving all texts ? Other members are not getting all texts and I thought about asking you.
    I'm getting all texts as far as I know. As long as the devices are on I get the messages.
    I've just run out on the trial on the data-only SIM with the Nexus 7 2013 LTE. Was charged
    the advertised fees so I am satisfied. Will see what happens with the data rollover next month.
    Only used 429mb on the 2Gb trial and only got 500mb rolled over. I left everything the same.
    O.K., it was free but you think they would have allowed the 1.5 GB rollover since I'm staying on.
    Write again if you want. Best regards, Kurt
    I think I found out about the rollover thing. 500mb can be rolled over but it doesn't disappear at the end of the term
    if one doesn''t use up all the allotment.
    yeah rollover is data & does cost you $.
    I meant text, you go basic so I was wondering if you knew text counts both in & out for total of 500 a month.
    Hmmmmmm, good question. I don't know the answer to that one. I do know with AT&T GoPhone
    it's 20 cents when a text comes in and 20 cents when you send one out. A thread can get pricey.
    I don't know with FP but I suspect it might count both ways. Maybe ask an admin. Kurt
    Right, Thanks. I don't do too much texting. When I do, I use TalkaTone on
    WiFi and the texts are free. I shut the Dara card down so it doesn't use data
    on the Nexus 7 2013 LTE. Google TalkaTone and check it out. Kurt
    I will. I don't do stupid stuff like light off fireworks or drink 'n drive so will sure to be safe.
    Kurt
  • Tala RassoolTala Rassool FreedomPop Newbie Posts: 1
    Wait, back to the original question, I have that question as well.
    So you were also charged $15 to "ensure continuity of service" according to my email but you downgraded to the free plan. Are you saying this won't happen next month as well? I hope not. I can't put in a support ticket because I'm on the free plan! I hardly use the tablet, I was hoping to pay-as-you-go as a spare.
    Talo, Enable 'auto-top-up' and have a valid pay.meth. this allows your data to zero-out, and fp charges 2cents a meg.

Wait, back to the original question, I have that question as well.
    So you were also charged $15 to "ensure continuity of service" according to my email but you downgraded to the free plan. Are you saying this won't happen next month as well? I hope not. I can't put in a support ticket because I'm on the free plan! I hardly use the tablet, I was hoping to pay-as-you-go as a spare.

They did give me $15.00 credit on the "Free" Phone account at the end of the term so I'm ok with it. Don't know if I'll use the credit but I'm satisfied. I did put the FP Phone SIM into the second slot of a BLU Studio G plus 'cause AT&T charges me .20 a message. I don't do much messaging and might as well use up the free allotment I have..

FP does have me on the $30.00 a month Data plan on my Nexus 7 2013 tablet and I'm going to stick with it. I can do VOIP/SIP calls on the tablet that are acceptable and only thing now is I'm trying to get TalkaTone (my VOIP/SIP app) to work on a 7.1.2 Nougat ROM. Doesn't work completely now as the TT screen disappears after dialing! Still works on 6.0.1 though so I'm sticking with that.
    I have a 2013 WiFi only Nexus I'm trying to mess with to see if I can get TalkaTone to work. Might be
    I just have to download an ancillary app to get it going properly. The TalkaTone people are clueless.

If one is an International citizen (travels a lot to other countries) Google Project FI might be a reasonable choice but the compatible devices it can be used on are very limited. Friend told me his call quality is excellent and no diddling with settings. Kurt